ACG Airbase Color Blend

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Post Reply
User avatar
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Jul 2012, 18:23
Version: P3D

ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by Woogey » 08 Feb 2019, 04:09

Good evening John,

I’ll throw in Ian’s name in here too because I believe he was part of your ACG posse back in the day was he not? ORBX has just released their first photo real regions of great Britain south for Prepar3D V4.4. I am going to download it as soon as I get home from work tonight, with the intention of integrating all of the good top-quality sceneries you guys did back in the day. Top of my list are Bentwaters and WoodBridge. Off the top of my memory, this has a PR base that cannot be separated from the scenery is this correct? Is there any possible way to do a color match or blend for that original PR? Or is there anyway to turn it off? Obviously there are a ton of beautiful Airbases that I will be plugging into the sim, and checking results. Do you guys want to do some testing with me, and post some screenshots here?

-Woog

raclim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 58
Joined: 13 Jul 2010, 15:41
Version: P3D
Location: Netherlands

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by raclim » 08 Feb 2019, 07:02

I use the ACG Bentwaters and Woodbrigde in P3D and have the photoreal underlayer removed. I can't remember the name of the file ( i am not on my P3D pc atm), but is was located in the scenery folder and the filename contained a lot of random numbers, remove that file and the photo scenery is removed,
Maybe if you post a screenshot of the scenery folder I can point out the file.

I used the same method on the ACG Marham scenery

Cheers
Randy

User avatar
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Posts: 2304
Joined: 12 Jul 2008, 15:15

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by John Young » 08 Feb 2019, 07:24

The PR ground files are Bentwaters_TM35_.bgl and Woodbridge_TM34_.bgl Woog.

Marham is TF-70_.bgl.

John

User avatar
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Posts: 320
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 05:28
Version: P3D
Location: EGXW

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by rocket_26_ » 08 Feb 2019, 17:13

I am currently downloading the ORBX south photo scenery as we speak actually.

The Twin bases is a case of removing the files John mentioned and my Coningsby should be simple to remove the photo tiles also. I think its named CGY_PHOTO.bgl.

Lakenheath and Alconbury has higher (I imagine at least as high as ORBX) resolution imagery than the Twin Bases and Coningsby for that matter. They were built differently (P3DV4 coded Ground polys) to our ACG scenery and are heavily edited and also feature night lighting which will be lost if you remove them.

My WIP Honington and Coningsby P3DV4 update will also feature similar designs.

User avatar
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Jul 2012, 18:23
Version: P3D

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by Woogey » 08 Feb 2019, 20:13

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. I am loading in the Twin bases as we speak in their original form. I want to see how "off" they look before I remove the Photo-real. I am one of the "retro" guys. Love me some 1980's cold war action. I am so greatful for Ian's drive to change with the times, utilizing the new methods of airbase construction. Military airbases have never looked better!

-Woog

User avatar
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Jul 2012, 18:23
Version: P3D

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by Woogey » 08 Feb 2019, 21:02

Ok, turning off the PR does make the two air bases blend better for sure. Alignment with the ORBX PR is pretty close so no real concerns there. The disadvantage though is that now we have ORBX buildings occupying the same space as the custom ACG ones. Not horrible in most cases, but not pretty either. The most simple solution I think, would be new color matched PR files for the old scenery. I will have to live with it for now. On to test more. Thanks again Gentlemen for the advice.

-Woog

User avatar
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Posts: 320
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 05:28
Version: P3D
Location: EGXW

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by rocket_26_ » 09 Feb 2019, 12:27

Woogey wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 21:02
Ok, turning off the PR does make the two air bases blend better for sure. Alignment with the ORBX PR is pretty close so no real concerns there. The disadvantage though is that now we have ORBX buildings occupying the same space as the custom ACG ones. Not horrible in most cases, but not pretty either. The most simple solution I think, would be new color matched PR files for the old scenery. I will have to live with it for now. On to test more. Thanks again Gentlemen for the advice.

-Woog
That is the autogen buildings displaying . The photo tiles would have excluded them.

I am having the same issue with Alconbury. I have autogen buildings all over the place as the photo ground poly does not exclude them being custom ground polys.
It would be a case of creating a autogen exclude for each of them. I am experimenting with Honington now.

User avatar
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Jul 2012, 18:23
Version: P3D

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by Woogey » 09 Feb 2019, 17:39

Alconbury was the next airbase I installed. Haha, Love that scenery. After seeing the sad state of its appearance in the Regional scenery, it was a must to get your version installed! I found the same autogen issue that you spoke of.

Ian, did you get a weird red and black blob-artifact North West of Alconbury with your ORBX install? You are the only other person I know of that has the new ORBX region. I am just wondering of the source of this. It is approximately the size/area of an airport.

-Woog

User avatar
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Posts: 320
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 05:28
Version: P3D
Location: EGXW

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by rocket_26_ » 09 Feb 2019, 18:16

Woogey wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 17:39
Alconbury was the next airbase I installed. Haha, Love that scenery. After seeing the sad state of its appearance in the Regional scenery, it was a must to get your version installed! I found the same autogen issue that you spoke of.

Ian, did you get a weird red and black blob-artifact North West of Alconbury with your ORBX install? You are the only other person I know of that has the new ORBX region. I am just wondering of the source of this. It is approximately the size/area of an airport.

-Woog
That was from the FSX version of Lakenheath. If you have the P3D version it should not be there.

User avatar
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Jul 2012, 18:23
Version: P3D

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by Woogey » 10 Feb 2019, 21:48

Goodday Gentlemen,

Ian thank you for making me aware of the P3d specific version of Lakenheath. It is again a one of your masterpieces. However, there is an texture issue at the end of the Runway. There is a large untextured grey square present. It looks as though this area was meant to be excluded as it is just a square jutting out from the contoured background poly. I tried a fresh download with the same result. It also appears that this area has a strange specular shine at certain angles. I removed the scenery to check the area, and the abnormality disappeared as well. When you get a chance if you could take a look at this that would be most greatly appreciated. Such a beautiful scenery with just this one weird issue.

-Woog

User avatar
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Posts: 320
Joined: 29 Aug 2006, 05:28
Version: P3D
Location: EGXW

Re: ACG Airbase Color Blend

Post by rocket_26_ » 11 Feb 2019, 16:32

Woogey wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 21:48
Goodday Gentlemen,

Ian thank you for making me aware of the P3d specific version of Lakenheath. It is again a one of your masterpieces. However, there is an texture issue at the end of the Runway. There is a large untextured grey square present. It looks as though this area was meant to be excluded as it is just a square jutting out from the contoured background poly. I tried a fresh download with the same result. It also appears that this area has a strange specular shine at certain angles. I removed the scenery to check the area, and the abnormality disappeared as well. When you get a chance if you could take a look at this that would be most greatly appreciated. Such a beautiful scenery with just this one weird issue.

-Woog
Thanks . Yep I am aware of that issue with the ground poly. I have fixed it but have not uploaded the file.

Post Reply