by TimC340
02 Apr 2022, 16:57
Forum: JYAI
Topic: North American RA-5C Vigilante
Replies: 61
Views: 4000

Re: North American RA-5C Vigilante

How did you convert it?

In fact, I can see from the file dates that you haven't converted it. You have the FS9 airfield files, which won't display in P3D.

I don't want to monopolise John's thread with your issues, so you might want to start a new thread in 'Scenery Design'.
by TimC340
02 Apr 2022, 15:39

Firstly, the source files that include the buildings must be available to the sim. If you've brought the FS9 airfield into ADE then exported it in P3Dv4 format, you may only have the ADEP4 and OBJ files. The OBJ file is simply obect placements; it doesn't include the objects themselves. For that, yo...
by TimC340
02 Apr 2022, 15:07
Forum: Scenery Design
Topic: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update
Replies: 118
Views: 5649

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

The 'Add Polygon' button creates the CVX files - the green one at the centre of this screenshot (KBKF Buckley AFB): https://i.imgur.com/LPbaNIE.jpg You then draw the shape of the airfield boundary and select 'Airfield Background' and 'Flatten MaskClassMap ExcludeAutogen Smooth' to create a flat gras...
by TimC340
02 Apr 2022, 11:47
Forum: Scenery Design
Topic: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update
Replies: 118
Views: 5649

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Yes you can, but you need to create a CVX terrain flatten and autogen exclude to replace them - unless the stock flatten works for you. But in my experience they rarely do.
by TimC340
01 Apr 2022, 18:41

This is I think the MAIW NAS Key West KNQX in P3Dv4.5. All looks OK re elevation, coast line and other common airport problem areas, with the important exception of no buildings. I might fool around adding some with ADEX and post progress. https://i.imgur.com/vsGiR6f.png This is the MAIW KNQX in P3...
by TimC340
01 Apr 2022, 18:18

If anyone has any knowledge of this system, could you advise if I have it right please? John This may be a bit overkill but here is something that may be helpful in your quest: https://www.docdroid.com/GxkZXeu/north-american-a-5a-vigilante-flight-manual-later-version-pdf You may have to download an...
by TimC340
01 Apr 2022, 10:04

The Vigilante definitely didn't have ailerons, and I think your interpretation is essentially accurate, John. The spoiler deflection to apply bank would be proportional to the control input, and for that purpose would likely be limited to around 45 degrees of deflection (the 78 degrees figure would ...
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 18:13
Forum: MAIW FSX/P3D Package Conversion
Topic: t-6 prop textures
Replies: 2
Views: 371

Re: t-6 prop textures

They're in the texture.default folder used by texture.cfg. If you downloaded the conversion package, you'll have it.
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 17:41
Forum: AI Aircraft Design
Topic: A-5 North American Vigilante..
Replies: 46
Views: 2121

Re: A-5 North American Vigilante..

I've slightly updated the KNAD file for Menno so it includes some parking, but I think I'll leave it at that for now. If Menno (or anyone else) wants to use it as the basis of a project, that's great.
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 13:50

Key West already exists, John, and should be easily adaptable to the Vigilante. Albany is a bit too much guesswork to get out quickly, I'd say - and it only applies to 1976. While KNAD is an interesting subject in its own right, I would have thought that Key West is more likely to fit in more people...
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 10:45

Menno, if it helps I knocked this up in the last half hour (P3Dv4 format).
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 10:38
Forum: General Projects
Topic: Dans bits & bobs
Replies: 456
Views: 43962

Re: Dans bits & bobs

This is great, I am in the process of doing scenery for Glenview and South Weymouth. I visited South Weymouth NAS once. It had already been identified for closure, so there wasn't a whole lot going on. A couple of P3s still remained. My strongest memory is the enormous airship mooring circle, still...
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 10:32

Some years ago I found an old satallite picture of Turner AFB and managed to use it as an overlay over a recent satellite picture of the current brewery. In short I created Turner Afb for FS9. If people like, I can convert it to a NAS Albany for the A5. I've found a few more photos on the Abandoned...
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 09:17

Sanford was the original home base for the Vigilante, before they moved to Albany NAS (now a brewery) in Georgia. The move to Key West came when Albany closed. There's not much info out there for Albany, sadly, and satellite photos were in their infancy when it closed. This picture from Wikipedia is...
by TimC340
25 Mar 2022, 10:59

Love this aircraft. Like Steve, I discovered it from an Airfix kit. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one in reality.

KNQX is in the MAIW library somewhere. (Edit - sorry, missed Randy’s post).
by TimC340
24 Mar 2022, 11:30
Forum: General Military AI Discussion
Topic: FSX Brize Norton Scenery
Replies: 20
Views: 1272

Re: FSX Brize Norton Scenery

Well done, Paul! As you'll discover, it's actually really easy to do once you get used to the process. The only caveat I'd add is try to be methodical and organised in your conversion work; once you have a few hundred airfields done it gets very hard to work out what's what and where it should be! D...
by TimC340
24 Mar 2022, 11:23
Topic: Malaysia C-130 question
Replies: 4
Views: 308

Re: Malaysia C-130 question

I think what Joseph means is that Malaysia has removed the refuelling pods from their KC-130H aircraft, not the external tanks. So the regular C-130H model would do. Edit: looking at the photos, it would appear that these are C-130H3s (the last production run of C-130Hs) with the square para door wi...
by TimC340
23 Mar 2022, 10:38

You need to make sure the textures are available to the sim. That means, in this case, they must be in a 'texture' folder in the same directory as the 'scenery' folder that you have created to hold your converted files, as detailed in the last paragraph of my long post above. In fact, converting thi...
by TimC340
22 Mar 2022, 17:08

Just to show it running in FSX:SE:

by TimC340
22 Mar 2022, 16:26

Is there a book Model Converter X for Dummies? It looks like I could use it. This is where my problems begin. As an example, i tried importing a .bgl file using the Import tab in MCX and I receive the following messages: If you are using MCX v1.5 (the latest stable version) there is a manual in the...