Search found 3532 matches

by John Young
04 Oct 2014, 14:10
Forum: AI Aircraft Design
Topic: JMAI B-52B
Replies: 42
Views: 2796

Re: JMAI B-52B

The B-52B model is the only aircraft that falls into the ramp, the C,D,E,F,G, and H models do what they’re supposed to. Glad I sought that clarification. That would tend to rule out any problems with your FS9 installation itself, including the .cfg file or patch. A quick look at the aircraft.cfg fi...
by John Young
04 Oct 2014, 05:22

Just re-reading the posts in case I've missed something. wbunnel, in your response to mine yesterday, the second sentence in the quote below seems incomplete. What will you have to with a B-52B? All the items you suggested are the same, now if I could have aircraft like in your picture, I’d be happy...
by John Young
03 Oct 2014, 06:26

I can’t quite understand hat different flightplans can have on the outcome of of this problem, I’m sure you could make some flightplans, maybe not. Yes I know how to make flight plans. It just saves me time, trying to help you. So, I extracted the 16 B-51B aircraft from the jmai_b52_traffic1.zip an...
by John Young
02 Oct 2014, 19:10

Could you possibly zip up the flight plan you are using and the AFCAD for KBAD and post here? We could then try and replicate what you are experiencing.

If we can replicate it, we might be able to figure out what's causing it.

John
by John Young
02 Oct 2014, 08:52

Just tried the B-52B as AI at my test airfield. It spawns in a stable level state and taxis/takes off normally: http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/Bitmap512/MIscellaneous/B52B_zps089906f2.jpg I also tested down to 10 fps, which sometimes induces a stability error, but it was fine when stutteri...
by John Young
30 Sep 2014, 20:29
Topic: B-52s Sink into the ramp Tail First
Replies: 34
Views: 2336

Re: B-52s Sink into the ramp Tail First

Didn't I effectively say the same thing 3 days ago ?
"This will wreck the AI performance of course, so remember to restore the CG to +21ft for that purpose"
Time we dropped this one I think.

John
by John Young
30 Sep 2014, 14:42

You're still not grasping the problem. So I'll reiterate the key point. The required FDE set up for this AI aircraft is different for a user-flyable aircraft . That's often the case. Moving the AI CG by +110ft is necessary to give you a balanced "flyable" aircraft with selection through th...
by John Young
27 Sep 2014, 14:57

Yes I was surprised at the amount of shift in the CG required, even though the aircraft is 159 ft long. Then I realised that the brake chute is also probably taken into consideration too. That extends back another 90ft or so.

John
by John Young
27 Sep 2014, 06:25

Moving the CG to +110ft will put the aircraft level on the runway. The screen shot below has the aircraft set up as a flyable aircraft and it's stable: http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/Bitmap512/MIscellaneous/B-52_zpsde22554a.jpg However, trying to fly it from there is a no go. The aircraft ...
by John Young
26 Sep 2014, 06:08

I got there in my 18 Sep post. The centre of gravity is probably in the wrong place for a user flyable aircraft. What happens if you move it as suggested?

John
by John Young
25 Sep 2014, 06:57
Forum: General Military AI Discussion
Topic: Lost Stock Scenery file
Replies: 2
Views: 164

Re: Lost Stock Scenery file

PM just sent with the required file.

John
by John Young
18 Sep 2014, 16:44
Forum: Military Aviation Photography
Topic: Duxford September Show
Views: 375

Re: Duxford September Show

Those are beautiful shots Dan and my hat's off to you for capturing the colour and detail against a backlit bright sky. It's always difficult photographing from the crowd line at Duxford because the sun is in your face until late afternoon. I failed miserably photographing the two Lancasters because...
by John Young
18 Sep 2014, 08:16

The aircraft is indeed set up with AI flight dynamics. They often differ quite significantly to dynamics for a user-flyable aircraft in order to get the right behaviour with the AI engine. If the tail is dropping, the first thing to do is move the position of the centre of gravity in the "empty...
by John Young
23 Aug 2014, 07:08
Forum: MAIW FSX/P3D Package Conversion
Topic: MAIW scenery install problem and win7
Views: 327

Re: MAIW scenery install problem and win7

Trying to activate a scenery folder (FS9 or FSX) with Windows 7 won't work in the obvious way clicking the tabs in the select scenery screen. What you have to do is illogical but it works - you have to right click the white background of the screen like this (ACG example): http://i588.photobucket.co...
by John Young
18 Aug 2014, 05:13
Topic: P-61
Views: 435

Re: P-61

That's a great step forward (apart from the hard drive failure of course).

Now that you can see the aircraft in the simulator, I would have a play with the smoothing groups next. The light/dark areas are not quite right, the light areas under the boom and nose in particular.

John
by John Young
08 Aug 2014, 13:45
Forum: Retro AI Design
Topic: Wattisham '91
Replies: 55
Views: 4669

Re: Wattisham '91

I know people here like tiger schemes, so I thought I would share this one I've done for Wattisham: http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/Bitmap512/Wattisham/tigermeet2_zps6750374e.jpg It's actually on a static model because the aircraft never flew like that. It was especially painted by 74 Sqn t...
by John Young
01 Aug 2014, 17:37
Forum: Tech Talk
Topic: AI Showing in my Flyable Aircraft list (FS9)
Replies: 10
Views: 588

Re: AI Showing in my Flyable Aircraft list (FS9)

For FS9, open the .air file for each aircraft that appears in the list (AirEd.zip on the popular FS sites will do the trick) and change "Aircraft Type=" from "0" to "2", hit Enter and save.

For FSX, remove the panel and sound folders.

John
by John Young
28 Jul 2014, 21:03
Topic: Stuttering
Replies: 17
Views: 971

Re: Stuttering

Just to clarify the question - is there a way to bulk check a whole aircraft or a whole scenery area for the presence of mips in the textures, ie a whole texture folder, rather than an individual texture? I'm not aware of any program to do that, but that's not to say that there isn't one. I think pr...
by John Young
28 Jul 2014, 15:59
Forum: Scenery Design
Topic: Looking for a Hangar Model
Replies: 23
Views: 1705

Re: Looking for a Hangar Model

I've also now done the FSX conversion. If anyone wants the hangars for that sim version, just drop me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send it.

John
by John Young
28 Jul 2014, 09:31
Topic: Stuttering
Replies: 17
Views: 971

Re: Stuttering

Hi Phil, I use DxtBmp.exe by Martin Wright at MW Graphics: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/ This is a useful tool for converting normal .bmp files to the flightsim extended.bmp, compressed, formats. In the right hand panel of the DxtBmp screen you will see some check boxes to include mips when saving. You on...