Search found 1324 matches

by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 17:41
Forum: AI Aircraft Design
Topic: A-5 North American Vigilante..
Replies: 46
Views: 2047

Re: A-5 North American Vigilante..

I've slightly updated the KNAD file for Menno so it includes some parking, but I think I'll leave it at that for now. If Menno (or anyone else) wants to use it as the basis of a project, that's great.
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 13:50

Key West already exists, John, and should be easily adaptable to the Vigilante. Albany is a bit too much guesswork to get out quickly, I'd say - and it only applies to 1976. While KNAD is an interesting subject in its own right, I would have thought that Key West is more likely to fit in more people...
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 10:45

Menno, if it helps I knocked this up in the last half hour (P3Dv4 format).
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 10:38
Forum: General Projects
Topic: Dans bits & bobs
Replies: 456
Views: 43373

Re: Dans bits & bobs

This is great, I am in the process of doing scenery for Glenview and South Weymouth. I visited South Weymouth NAS once. It had already been identified for closure, so there wasn't a whole lot going on. A couple of P3s still remained. My strongest memory is the enormous airship mooring circle, still...
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 10:32

Some years ago I found an old satallite picture of Turner AFB and managed to use it as an overlay over a recent satellite picture of the current brewery. In short I created Turner Afb for FS9. If people like, I can convert it to a NAS Albany for the A5. I've found a few more photos on the Abandoned...
by TimC340
26 Mar 2022, 09:17

Sanford was the original home base for the Vigilante, before they moved to Albany NAS (now a brewery) in Georgia. The move to Key West came when Albany closed. There's not much info out there for Albany, sadly, and satellite photos were in their infancy when it closed. This picture from Wikipedia is...
by TimC340
25 Mar 2022, 10:59

Love this aircraft. Like Steve, I discovered it from an Airfix kit. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one in reality.

KNQX is in the MAIW library somewhere. (Edit - sorry, missed Randy’s post).
by TimC340
24 Mar 2022, 11:30
Forum: General Military AI Discussion
Topic: FSX Brize Norton Scenery
Replies: 20
Views: 1245

Re: FSX Brize Norton Scenery

Well done, Paul! As you'll discover, it's actually really easy to do once you get used to the process. The only caveat I'd add is try to be methodical and organised in your conversion work; once you have a few hundred airfields done it gets very hard to work out what's what and where it should be! D...
by TimC340
24 Mar 2022, 11:23
Topic: Malaysia C-130 question
Replies: 4
Views: 301

Re: Malaysia C-130 question

I think what Joseph means is that Malaysia has removed the refuelling pods from their KC-130H aircraft, not the external tanks. So the regular C-130H model would do. Edit: looking at the photos, it would appear that these are C-130H3s (the last production run of C-130Hs) with the square para door wi...
by TimC340
23 Mar 2022, 10:38

You need to make sure the textures are available to the sim. That means, in this case, they must be in a 'texture' folder in the same directory as the 'scenery' folder that you have created to hold your converted files, as detailed in the last paragraph of my long post above. In fact, converting thi...
by TimC340
22 Mar 2022, 17:08

Just to show it running in FSX:SE:

by TimC340
22 Mar 2022, 16:26

Is there a book Model Converter X for Dummies? It looks like I could use it. This is where my problems begin. As an example, i tried importing a .bgl file using the Import tab in MCX and I receive the following messages: If you are using MCX v1.5 (the latest stable version) there is a manual in the...
by TimC340
22 Mar 2022, 16:15

Ah, yes, good point Steve!

If you're using FSX:SE you will need the Prepar3D v1.4 SSDK (get it here) as the Steam SDK is incomplete.

Once it's installed, MCX should find all the routes itself, but you may have to give it a hint in the Options | Exporter Settings menu.
by TimC340
22 Mar 2022, 15:50

Which file are you trying to import?
by TimC340
22 Mar 2022, 13:44

Converting scenery is generally trivially easy. Find the scenery library bgl(s) in the source files - they’ll be in the scenery folder, and will be among the larger files. Import into MCX, which will then give you a picture of each item. Go to the ‘export scenery’ tab, select the format to export in...
by TimC340
21 Mar 2022, 22:30
Forum: Scenery Design
Topic: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update
Replies: 118
Views: 5470

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

I had a play with Kelly on Sunday to try and make it look a bit better. As mentioned before, this uses Tony Dalton's buildings so it's not distributable as is, but I think it looks ok. Unfortunately, SBX introduced some big white squares into the ground poly which I need to edit out, but other than ...
by TimC340
21 Mar 2022, 22:19

I'll have a look - I used to have all the ARM collection, but I haven't used any of them for many years and may well have lost them. If you are prepared to pay, the UK2000 VFR series covers probably around 100 UK airfields, including Brize (which is one of the better ones). Matt and Paul's EGVN may ...
by TimC340
18 Mar 2022, 11:16
Forum: AI Repaints
Topic: New German/French C-130J Squadron
Replies: 18
Views: 1180

Re: New German/French C-130J Squadron

'Flight' suggests that Fred is correct: https://www.flightglobal.com/dubai-2021/lockheed-outlines-strong-demand-for-c-130j-as-first-german-example-flies/146465.article I'm not aware of there being any KC130J-30s. The reason for that, I believe, is that the fuselage extension means the clearance, par...
by TimC340
18 Mar 2022, 07:12
Topic: P3D Ground Light Splashes
Replies: 10
Views: 404

Re: P3D Ground Light Splashes

I haven’t seen that phenomenon, but I was looking at KSKF last night (in connection with the Randolph thread) and noticed that the textures in Tony Dalton’s scenery reflect the dynamic light FX I’m using from miles away, and look almost like they’re emitting themselves. They aren’t, but it’s a bit b...
by TimC340
18 Mar 2022, 07:04
Topic: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update
Replies: 118
Views: 5470

Re: Prepar3d V5 Default KRND Update

Mine’s based on the Tony Dalton scenery, Chris, but the AFD is purely mine. I’d like to have the C5Ms that moved in from Dover, but I don’t think those have been painted yet. The airfield works ok, though the layout makes for some awkward taxi routes. I haven’t edited any traffic files for it, so I ...