ILS not appearing in GPS

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

ILS not appearing in GPS

Post by DaleRFU »

Hi all,

I have added an ILS to an airport using AFCAD, but when I open up flightsim and check the GPS, it does not give me an option to select any ILS for the airbase.

Help is always appreciated

:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
jetmax
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: ILS not appearing in GPS

Post by jetmax »

and you won't. The custom ILS approaches you see at exsiting airport in FS9 are not coded in the AFCADs. However you should still be able to tune the ILS freq in to NAV one and pick up the ILS with no problem.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
scruffyduck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scruffyduck »

You have an ILS but no approach code for it. As suggested above you can make your own approach by crossing the ILS beam at about 30deg while tuned to the ILS frequency.

If you want to add an approach for the ILS then you might consider using ADE rather than AFCAD. ADE handles approaches and will create one for you automatically when you add an ILS.

Or are you saying that the localizer feather is not showing up in the GPS?
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

Ye the feather is shown in the GPS but no selection in the list on the GPS. If I use ADE will that give me an option to have the ILS on the GPS?
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

scruffyduck wrote:If you want to add an approach for the ILS then you might consider using ADE rather than AFCAD. ADE handles approaches and will create one for you automatically when you add an ILS.
I wish more people would do that. I've lost count of the number of airports where ScanAFD detects duplicate AFCADs, and where the culprit is due to the approach file existing as a seperate file.

At least I can merge most of them through ADE myself :)
scruffyduck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scruffyduck »

RKE wrote:
scruffyduck wrote:If you want to add an approach for the ILS then you might consider using ADE rather than AFCAD. ADE handles approaches and will create one for you automatically when you add an ILS.
I wish more people would do that. I've lost count of the number of airports where ScanAFD detects duplicate AFCADs, and where the culprit is due to the approach file existing as a seperate file.

At least I can merge most of them through ADE myself :)
As far as I know prior to ADE approach code was created by hand and often ended up in a separate file. I suspect that this approach is still quite commonly used.
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

scruffyduck wrote:As far as I know prior to ADE approach code was created by hand and often ended up in a separate file. I suspect that this approach is still quite commonly used.
IIRC you had to do the code by hand in XML and then compile it. Matthew Ministry did a mini-package of unusual approaches with both the raw XML and the compiled BGL files, which was what got me interested in doing them, but it wasn't until I found the graphic editor in ADE that I could actually get my head around them :lol: