Military Callsigns

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
benclark
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Military Callsigns

Post by benclark »

Hey guys here's a fantastic page I found while looking up something criminal :wink: - http://www.siscom.net/~mmeece/Callsigns.html

HTH oh and see if you can figure out what I'm working on :twisted:
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Thanks Ben,

New sources are always appreciated.

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Use it with caution. I just matched it up with the callsigns we use here at KGSB. One was right and the one was wrong.

Cheers

Scott
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Scott,

Callsigns created by me for Military Aircraft are based on several sources and I select the most likely one in use.

Is it 100% accurate? No way. As I am based in the UK I can pretty well confirm callsigns being used in this country. For elsewhere I use the internet and some publications that I have. Many a time I also use 'best guess'

One also has to take into account that whilst a callsign may not be in use during normal ops in the unit's base area, it may well have been used elsewhere (ie on exercise) when the listener has logged it.

Whether a callsign is in use (in real life) or not really isn't a problem, after all we are dealing with a simulation and any callsign must be an improvement on the default Air Force :lol:

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Also when the Royal Marines are on exercise (they have a base about 1 mile from where I live) the helicopters use Tac Callsigns e.g. Alpha One Tango Three Hotel or when in transit through the local airport zone they use a three letter+3 numbers callsign e.g. ODM (for RAF Odiham) 123.

It gets confusing don't it...

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Don't it just.

These TAC callsigns sometimes know as trigraph callsigns are (I think) often generated by computers used to run the exercise. WHich means you've got "Buckleys" chances of identifying the aircraft from airband transmissions.

Damned inconsiderate of the MOD I'd say :lol:

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

It gets even more confusing when you get into flightplans and such like, as the callsign is unlikely to the same for most flights unless it's a transport flight.

Some UK units allocate individual pilots their own callsigns, some use callsigns that are allocated to the aircraft. Formation callsigns are allocated by a central organisation to units/stations, but are only used in a formation, they won't be used by a single aircraft operating on it's own. Some callsigns will only be allocated for an operation or exercise. It's possible to know if an aircraft is training or on a task by it's callsign, quite often a training or positioning sortie will use a generic station callsign (e.g. Victor 123 for a valley Hawk) and a specific one for a task (e.g. Vortex 43 for a tasking SH).

My own callsign is Alpha Five Five, but when I'm talking to any airfield other than my home base I become Shawbury Five Five, when I'm in a formation I could be Weasel (Shark or Hamlet) Lead, Weasel One or Weasel Two depending on my position in the formation and how many formations we have flying at the same time.

I have tried to find a document listing all the callsigns used by the British military to no avail, I know that there used to be one.

It is confusing.

Regards,

Cary
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."