The next project in the hangar...

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: The next project in the hangar...

Post by f4nutter »

sweet, yet another new Model :D
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

We've hidden three new models in the video :lol:
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

f4nutter wrote:sweet, yet another new Model :D
So I'm thinking the Flying Boat, the Boat and the Craine?
Mark
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Okay, so there's a story here that needs telling. Back in October, John and I had started working on the Japanese UH-60Js, and I, being the clumsy doof that I am, had managed to hurt my hand so painting was going pretty slowly and I was being generally unproductive. In one of our conversations, John mentioned that he would like to do something else in Japan, and I, in my usually snarky manner, toss out the US-2, knowing that it's a slim to none chance. A couple of exchanges later I tossed out the Kawasaki T-4, and the next thing you know, John has made a T-4 model. We got really wrapped up in the T-4s for a while because I turned into a super type A personality freak (bonus points: Try to find out how many different shoulder patches are in the T-4 release). Right in the middle of that, John sends a message saying "look what I made" and included a beautiful picture of a US-2 model. Well, those T-4s were flat out forgotten for a while. John sent me some early models to test and not only was there a land based US-2, but also a water based one, a complete rebuild of the Iwakuni scenery harbor with all new custom buildings, and an AI Takanami class destroyer that patrolled the harbor. We're lucky we ever remembered the T-4s and finished the release because I was quite happy flying formation with AI US-2s all day. Then, just the other day John told me that ██ ██ ███ ████ █ █████ █████ ██ ████ . REDACTED

Oh come on, you didn't think I was going to give away all the secrets did you? Needless to say, that last little bit is pretty sweet.

So, since this whole affair started with the UH-60Js, where are they? Honestly, that's my fault. My previously mentioned Type A personality came back and noticed the JMSDF aircraft had a mistake, so they all got repainted. Then we decided to do all the UH-60JS for the JASDF, JMSDF and JGSDF in one shot, so there was another delay while I did the previously unpainted JGSDF ones. But then my Type A came back and I redid the JGSDF pilot figures because I had done the same for the Ft. Hood release and I felt like I was cheating everyone by using generic pilots. Then our wicked ways caught up to us and we figured out a way to make the UH-60J project mesh with the US-2 project. So, please be patient, they are on the way and we think the result will be worth it when it's done.

And that's a really long way of saying: don't ever point John and I at a specific goal, because we are going to wander in strange and wonderful ways.... and maybe meet the goal some day.

*Some quotes may be paraphrased
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's a lovely Story Brent and I have to tell everyone, it's a real pleasure working with him. He has as much energy for this as I do, injured hand or not. As he stops work late at night, I start early in the morning, which is about coincidental, given our relative positions on the globe. I made the T-4s as a thank you for his great work on the Blackhawk paints - who would have thought he would paint 195 of them including some gorgeous special schemes, never mind individual unit pilot shoulder patches! He really shouldn't have mentioned the Shinmaywa US-2. I just had to do it - it's an interesting shape, there's only 4 of them and above all, it gave me the opportunity to explore water-based AI. One thing led to another and......

As a visual taste of what's in Brent's narrative, here's a few screen shots of the US-2s and US-1As at my test airfield:

This is the new harbour to augment Brent's detailed scenery of Iwakuni. The main airfield is just to the right and is home to the land-based US-2s and a Us-1A as well as a host of Japanese and USMC AI:

I won't reveal what Brent is doing to further enhance the package, but I have to say, I really enjoyed experiencing an early site of what he's been doing. I think you will have fun with it.

John Y.
mins
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by mins »

wo.....w.....Japan's golden age ...
Always appreciate the effort.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Looks like your work is being noticed in the Land of the Rising Sun, as Japan now holds the third place in number of visits here at MAIW, after the USA and the UK. :smt023
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks for that Greg. That's really interesting and encouraging.

John Y