Iris F-15 Strike Eagle

Let's see em! Please use a third party image hoster such as photobucket.com or postimage.org and copy the link to the screenshot here between image tags.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Iris F-15 Strike Eagle

Post by MIKE JG »

Just picked up the Iris Simulations F-15E. Very nice model and detailing. Although like the Iris F-15C model the HUD is hard on frame rates. That can easily be fixed however.

First the Israeli F-15I Ra'am version

The regular E model flying from RAF Lakenheath in the UK

-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

Mike,

I must say thank you, those shots really do my AI F-15 credit, if I do say so myself. HEHE.

Lovely mate, I may have to get it myself now.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Sure does! I may have a go at trying to get the paint on the Iris model to look a bit closer to the paint on yours. Makes for better screen shots. :wink:
-Mike G.

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Iris F-15 Strike Eagle

Post by VulcanDriver »

MIKE JG wrote:Just picked up the Iris Simulations F-15E. Very nice model and detailing. Although like the Iris F-15C model the HUD is hard on frame rates. That can easily be fixed however.
I've just got the bird. How do you correct the HUD FPS problem?

TIA

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

John it involves swaping out the hud image that comes with the Iris bird for the hud image that came with the Coral F-15. The Coral hud is more simplistic and therefore less taxing on your system performance.

When I got the F-15C from Iris, at first the frame rates were, well to put it bluntly, unplayable. I was getting less than 10 fps when using that model. It's heads up display was fairly complex, very close to the real thing I guess. Which is very cool but not at the expense of not being able to enjoy the model. So I did some searching around and found that I was not the only one who was having issues with frame rates. The "fix" was to swap the HUD out for something less complex.

When I fired up this E model last night, same thing, poor FPS. So I'm going to do the same thing again I think.

To do it follow this procedure:

This is my HUD mod to the Iris F-15 using the Coral HUD gage. I get very good frame rates from the HUD mod.

To use this mod you will need to have the Coral F-15 gauges loaded from the Coral F-15V2 pack.

First the panel config lines.

In the panel config section under [Window00], you need to add this line to the gauge list cut & paste) This is for the 2D panel HUD.
gauge36=F15_Gauges!AP_Alt Hold, 40,814,14,14
gauge37=F15_Gauges!AP_IAS Hold, 40,733,14,14
gauge38=f-15coral_v2!hud_swap, 424,98,201,268 <---"This is the line you need to add/use"
gauge39=F15_Gauges!Color-Power, 423,596,29,26
gauge40=F15_Gauges!HUD Cage Switch, 433,549,18,21

or just cut & paste this line next to gauge 38: f-15coral_v2!hud_swap

That takes care of the 2D panel HUD

Now the VC.
[Vcockpit01]
Background_color=0,0,0 size_mm=1024,1024
visible=0
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$vc_hud

gauge00=f-15coral_v2!hud_swap, 198,0,734,580 <---Cut & paste this line
gauge01=F15_Gauges!Effect Controller, 1,1,20,20

That takes care of the 2D & VC panel config change to get the Coral HUD to show up.

A couple of notes. I had to tweak the position of my HUD to get it centered & have the HUD horizon line higher on the eyepoint. On the ground, the horizon line is slightly low but in the air it is pretty much where it needs to be. Some of you who decide to use this mod may have to tweak the position of the HUD to get it to show up in the right position. Hopefully my mod lines will work just cutting & paste them in your panel config.

So that's the mod which also worked very well for me for the C model. I'll try later to swap it on the E model and check the results.
-Mike G.

jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Mike
How does the model fly? I have consider purchasing it but can't seem to make myself spend the $30.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

It handles well. About the same as the Iris F-15C model if you already have that. As with most payware in this price range, it has its shortcomings of course. But nothing that I would consider to be a negative. It handles very similar to the KO F-16 series if that helps.
-Mike G.

Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

jetmax wrote:Mike
How does the model fly? I have consider purchasing it but can't seem to make myself spend the $30.
You could always get the 'lite' version which is a lot cheaper. Only one visual model but it's a saving.
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

Once you get a taste, you'll be back for the whole thing. Trust me, I have both the full F-15E and the F-15C/D package.

I haven't tried the Coral hud swap. I may have to try that.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by f4nutter »

hi
i have the iris F15/E/SG/J package's and they are superb model's the only grip i have for my $30 is that the afterburner is activated with the light switch 'L' ? or have i missed summit ?.......i also have the iris F_35 JFS, Mig 27 Flogger, Mig 29 Fulcrum, and my fav the Phant FGR2 all have burners on the throttle.

just saying is all, remember wings level !
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I have the IRIS F-15A/C/D package, the way I fixed the fps was just to drop the VC detail level to low, since i never use the VC anyway. That fixed it perfectly.

The only problem I have is that the GPS button doesn't work, no way to see where you are which is very frustrating lol. I can only stay where I know the topography (and thus only in VFR).

The F-15E package ABs are activated with the lights? That seems weird since in the A/C/D it's automatic with the throttle input. Wonder why they did that....?
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

Fastair
Captain
Captain

Post by Fastair »

Gents,
I also have the both the E and C/D models. The reheat/afterburner works just the same in both for me ie as per the throttle. So not sure why you are having that prob.
Have you tried their forums ?

As i say mine works just fine.
Regards
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Fastair wrote:Gents,
I also have the both the E and C/D models. The reheat/afterburner works just the same in both for me ie as per the throttle. So not sure why you are having that prob.
Have you tried their forums ?

As i say mine works just fine.
Regards
Off-topic, but could someone tell me where the difference reheat/afterburner is? Is the first one british english and the second one american english? I remember working on the Tornado we used "reheat" but when it came to american aircrafts we used "afterburner". :?
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
GrahamS
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by GrahamS »

They are both the same thing Jan, you are quite correct about the language thing, I'm just not sure which came from which side of the pond. I think reheat may have been the earleir term.
Which way is up?
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Thanks, Graham, could not believe that there was a technical difference.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
Fastair
Captain
Captain

Post by Fastair »

Indeed correct, sorry for the confusion. Reheat is a British term, I simply added afterburner, after taking into account the multi-national members of this great site.

Regards,
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

There is no need for feeling sorry. I have been asking this question many times myself. As you used both expressions I thought it was time to ask here. But thanks for clearing that up anyway :)
Jan