PCS Orders

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
NoNameVet
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PCS Orders

Post by NoNameVet »

Just got orders to Maxwell-Gunter, RNLTD of 1 May 2008.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with this assignment or not...
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

I wouldn't be... Gunter is a hole in the wall as far as MWR is concerned. Maxwell is a nice looking base with all the amenities but it's packed full of SOS, ACSC, OTS, etc... The surrounding city isn't all that great either. But I guess it's better than "Why not Minot."
--Chris
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

SMOC wrote:I wouldn't be... Gunter is a hole in the wall as far as MWR is concerned. Maxwell is a nice looking base with all the amenities but it's packed full of SOS, ACSC, OTS, etc... The surrounding city isn't all that great either. But I guess it's better than "Why not Minot."
haha thats funny you say that, i'm trying to get to minot or grand forks...holloman is a nice base but the town here is ummm...very run down.
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Grand Forks AFB is some 15-20 miles from the actual city and there isn't much of a night life(if that's your thing). When I lived there(roughly 8 years ago) there was only really 3 bars(Buck's which was country, the Edge which was the younger crowd where the Airmen would get in trouble at, and another one that which I can't remember the name). However, the actual base redid their gym, housing, has one(probably more by now) of the best dorms, as well as other MWR additions. So from a base only perspective it's not awful. Although with the flying mission leaving I'm sure it will get worse.

Between the Minot and GFAFB, I would probably choose the latter for now. But once the mission leaves, Minot would probably be a better choice.
--Chris
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

SMOC wrote:Grand Forks AFB is some 15-20 miles from the actual city and there isn't much of a night life(if that's your thing). When I lived there(roughly 8 years ago) there was only really 3 bars(Buck's which was country, the Edge which was the younger crowd where the Airmen would get in trouble at, and another one that which I can't remember the name). However, the actual base redid their gym, housing, has one(probably more by now) of the best dorms, as well as other MWR additions. So from a base only perspective it's not awful. Although with the flying mission leaving I'm sure it will get worse.

Between the Minot and GFAFB, I would probably choose the latter for now. But once the mission leaves, Minot would probably be a better choice.
hey i was stationed at grand forks afb from 99-03 i remember bucks and the edge haha i used to go there alot along with el roco haha. i like it there, great place to raise kids, but yeah the winter sucks. the main reason i want to get back there tho is my dad retired at grand forks and bought some property outside of emerado (not the trailer park) haha.

what did you do at GF?
coastie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by coastie »

I remember Bucks from when I went to UND back in the early 90's, can't believe it's still around!
jetmax
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: PCS Orders

Post by jetmax »

NoNameVet wrote:Just got orders to Maxwell-Gunter, RNLTD of 1 May 2008.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with this assignment or not...
Bummer. They A-76's the weather station at Maxwell so I am pretty sure I am safe :)
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

djnocturnal wrote:hey i was stationed at grand forks afb from 99-03 i remember bucks and the edge haha i used to go there alot along with el roco haha. i like it there, great place to raise kids, but yeah the winter sucks. the main reason i want to get back there tho is my dad retired at grand forks and bought some property outside of emerado (not the trailer park) haha.

what did you do at GF?
We overlapped for a period. I lived there from 98-01. El Roco was the place I forgot... haven't been able to remember the name for years. I had a few friends who lived in Emerado south of the trailer parks. As for winter... I lived in Fairbanks so ND wasn't any worse.
--Chris
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Did a couple of schools at Maxwell and also a tour as faculty at SOS. I have to say I liked it there. If you get to know some locals there is excellent Dove Hunting. Also the people there like and respect the GIs.
Give it a chance and you may change your mind :D
GZR_SACTARGETS