Eurofighter Drag Race

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Paul
Captain
Captain

Eurofighter Drag Race

Post by Paul »

Javier Tapia
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Javier Tapia »

I had seen that video allready, thow I stil lfind it amaizing... don't know if its real, either way it is still way too cool... unfortunately my Volkswagen Gol can't do that... over 150 Km/h it just stars breaking in to peaces jajaja :wink:
Not a Member from the MAIW team, but giving my contributions whenever I can :D
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

HAHA....we've spread over there now then? For those of you who dont know "Top Gear" is one of the most popular TV programs over here in the UK. They test kick ass race-cars and do some crazy things with them.

This particular race was staged at RAF Coninsgby. I was there when it happened. Very very impressive I must say. Especially when you think that the Bugatti Veyron driver, Richard Hammond, almost died only a few months earlier in a terrible high speed crash while driving a jet engine powered car and trying to set a new speed record.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

That was sweet! I'm gonna copy that link into our video collection thread.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by rocket_26_ »

I was there for the filming of this and the actual result was a thrashing to say the least and the typhoon started 1000ft back. The Veyron crossed the finish line nearly 10 seconds after the Typhoon. I have a video clip of this although not great quality you can cleary see the outcome. Top Gear edited it to look close to make it more exciting i suppose.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

COOL!
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

It is more impressing than the Tornado vs. Formula 1 car (may have been Michael Schumacher) I have seen years ago.

BTW: from the license plate (WF = Wolfenbuettel, Germany) the owner of this car must live within 30miles southwest from my house. But most times I see Veyrons on the Autobahn to/from Wolfsburg were the Volkswagen HQ is located. A month ago one of those passed me and positioned his car behind the truck in front of me to take the next exit. While he was pretty fast he hit the brakes very hard almost causing me to crash into his car if I had not moved my car onto the passing lane.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

sprocky wrote:It is more impressing than the Tornado vs. Formula 1 car (may have been Michael Schumacher) I have seen years ago.
Mythical Michael Vs Typhoon 1-2 :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JgjG1cgLOM
Paul
Captain
Captain

Post by Paul »

Jan,

I bet you see alot of cool cars on the Autobahn.

Just read on Wikipedia that they're only going to make 300 of them. Out of the 300, 220 have been sold and 132 have been already been delivered. Top speed 408.47 km/h (253.81 mph) and it'll brake from 400 km/h (249 mph) to a standstill in less than 10 seconds. Hope the seatbelt works or your face will be a permanent fixture in the windshield. It also said at speeds above 124 mph the rear wing also acts as an airbrake, snapping to a 55-degree angle in 0.4 seconds once brakes are applied.

Paul
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Paul wrote:Jan,
I bet you see alot of cool cars on the Autobahn.
Sure, I do. The good thing here is that you have on about 1/3 of the Autobahn no speed limit. That's why many parts of it are used by foreigners to test drive their cars. Another nice thing is that specific parts of the Autobahn are used as test tracks for upcoming cars. If you ever have a chance to come to Germany on weekdays there are some highways were you may see test cars. I remember being on the A81 down south heading for Stuttgart three big cars appeared in my rear view mirrors. First and the last ones were black Mercedes ML. The car between them was the new Mercedes S class. While I was going about 130mph they were even faster than that.

Anyway, I am supplying the automotive industry with IPC's. I see many cars from the german manufacturers before they are shown to public. When I meet them on the Autobahn most of them I have seen before in top secret areas :wink: This is one reason why I love my job.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
Paul
Captain
Captain

Post by Paul »

I'm jealous of you :wink:
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Well, I don't know what your current occupation is. But if it has something to do with aviation I am jealous of YOU!

To be honest: when I left the Navy I wanted to continue to work on aircrafts. But the only jobs that where available that time were some three-shifts ones. One of the biggest problems in my active time was that I was almost not able to concentrate on things after about midnight. When we had to get some aircrafts ready for the next morning I always let some other have a look at my work after midnight before the checker came. Me working on aircrafts around 02:00am could be fatal to the passengers. So I finally gave up that dream.
Jan
Paul
Captain
Captain

Post by Paul »

Jan,

I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. Now that I see what I wrote, it sounds kind of bad. Sorry about that. :oops: What I really meant is that I'm envious because it sounds like you have a cool job you love.

I didn't really get interested into aviation until a couple years ago.

The Company I work is far from anything to do with aviation. I work for a big grocery chain, I use to manage one of the departments for 6 years and took every other weekend off because I have my kids, and about 4 years ago when we had a new District Manager come in and said he wanted every manager to work every Saturday, no exceptions. So I stepped down, which I don't regret because that's my time with my kids plus the company is micro managing everthing to death. On top of that, this month was my 20th anniversary with the company and alls I got was a letter from the District Manager saying thanks for your service and loyalty and hope we work together for many more years to come. I should be thankful for that, because a fellow employee that was hired the same time I was didn't even get that. But I'm thankful I do have a job.

Sorry about rambling on but lately it's just been getting frustrating.
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

"I'm fighting for the Germans in a battle against the RAF!!"

Lol

Win or lose, I'll take a Bugatti Veyron anyday 8)
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

sprocky wrote: from the license plate (WF = Wolfenbuettel, Germany)
My '72 Beetle had a WF registration when I bought it, then became HI when I re-registered it and GT when I moved. My son's '59 Type 2 still carries a H plate.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Paul wrote:I hope you didn't take that the wrong way.
No, I did not. Getting older and older I notice that not every decision I made was the best. But who knows in advance? When I started this job I thought: 'Will I be able to do what my boss expects from me?' (I knew him for about 4 years at this time. He was one of my good customers :wink: ). Although the goals he set for me are pretty hard to reach I am confident to fulfill them. Sometimes he yells at us when we make mistakes but than he shows us how to make things better. One of the best things I can say about him is that he really takes care of his employees.

@ Celtic:
HI is what is on my licence plate. So have you been to Hildesheim? :shock: I live about 15 minutes East of that city. If you have been here I guess you were here as a soldier at Hildesheim Airfield? AFAIK there were stationed helicopters until this place was disbanded by the British army.
Jan
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Jan,

I flew Gazelle and Lynx with 661 Sqn AAC at Hildesheim during '92/'93, although I lived in Hannover at the time, until the unit moved to Guetersloh. I know (knew) the area around Hildesheim very well, having exercised there since the late '70s in both tanks and helicopters.

I'll never forget the daily drive to work past the Messe, I hear it is enormous now. Happy days.

Cary
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

CelticWarrior wrote:Jan,

I flew Gazelle and Lynx with 661 Sqn AAC at Hildesheim during '92/'93, although I lived in Hannover at the time, until the unit moved to Guetersloh. I know (knew) the area around Hildesheim very well, having exercised there since the late '70s in both tanks and helicopters.

I'll never forget the daily drive to work past the Messe, I hear it is enormous now. Happy days.

Cary
As we use to say in german: Die Welt ist klein! (What a small world!)

I went to school close to the airfield those years. I remember the helicopters flying over the building. Funny that we were living that close once and meet about 15 years later here at MAIW.
Jan
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Gets even smaller -

I was a 'Blackie' on Lynx / Gazelle for quite some time between 85 -94.

Never got to Hildesheim, but did manage -

Topcliffe
Oakington
Aldergrove
Deathmold, oops Detmold.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Let's make it smaller ....

Oakington 85-88
Wallop 88-89
Aldergrove 89-91 & 00-02
Hildesheim 92-93
Gutersloh 93-96
Wallop 96-00
Shawbury 02-09(?)

:lol: