UltimateDefrag 2008

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
aerogator

UltimateDefrag 2008

Post by aerogator »

Just wondering if anyone has tried this utility and if so, what you think about it.

Avsim is really high on it as it places emphasis on speeding up and/or improving FS9 performance. (or maybe just the time it takes to load?)

I've been thinking about buying a good defrag program because everyone says the default one is not very good, but I don't know enough about it to know the difference :? . I have a relatively small hard drive (60 GB), so I'm wondering if keeping it defragmented makes much difference. I use the Windows defragmenter about once a month.

Thanks for any feedback. :)
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by RipPipPip »

JkDefrag kills 'em all ...:
JkDefrag GUI http://www.emro.nl/freeware/
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

Personally used O&O defrag after this being highly recommended by some fellow flightsimmers but never noticed a difference in performance whether I used the default Windows defrag, or this O&O except that O&O takes more then twice as much time to finish.
Currently using Auslogic Boostspeed and it does improve performance but to my believes mainly due to correcting registry errors instead of the actual defragmentation.

Guess I'll give this JKdefrag a try, perhaps this one really works....
Ruud
--
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I use an older version of Ultimate Defrag (c. 2006) and am very satisfied. It allows you to choose several scemes to arrainge your contiguous files, to better optimize the access time to the disk, and has a rather nice visual of the operation in progress. It can also handle auto defrag scheduling etc. The drawback is it's pricey. Try the freeware and if it makes you happy the go no further! I will be getting the 2008 version in a few months, but don't need it just yet, so can't comment on it just now.

Ron
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks all for the info :) . I think I'll try JKDefrag first.

BTW Rip, it looks loke there are 3 versions. Which one should I use?
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

I don't know .... :roll:
So use JkDefragGUI.exe :D
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer