Turn & Burn - Maverick might make a comeback

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Turn & Burn - Maverick might make a comeback

Post by Garysb »

It wont be Tomcats but>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.hollywood-newsroom.com/news/ ... top-gun-2/

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by delbydoo »

Just like the Dambusters remake - I'll believe it when i see it; although with the latest round of 80s stars (sorry - make that Sly) doing both Rocky and Rambo, at least this "could" have a bite of reality - I can see it now, (cue Waynes World wavy arms scene)

"Lt Cmdr Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell" rubbin' irons with the new boss of Top Gun (OK I know it doesn't exist as such) Cmdr. Tom 'Iceman" Kazinsky, both getting blown away by wildcard fighterchick, call sign 'Hotlips'"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

This wouldn't seem to be much of a storyline as he went back to be an instructor at the end of the first movie... So he'd already have run into "himself" --- at least theoretically.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money going to see it unless the reviews said the air combat footage was 1000 times better than the first movie's --- and I only gave those a 6 on a 10 scale. (They used the same "fur ball" shot no less than three times, for instance.)
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

This WAS supposed to be the sequel back in the last 80s/early 90s when it was first brought up. However Cruise had no desire to be involved with the the movie anymore and even distanced himself as much as possible as he felt the movie glorified war.

Should make for interesting logistics. Twenty years ago he was an O-3... even if we assume he was at the early end of that he would be at least 26. 22 years later, at age 48, he would be an O-6 and either getting out or being groomed as a Flag Officer. The average age of a TOPGUN instructor is between 26-28 and is usually an O-3 or O-4. As an O-6 he would likely be flying a desk. Although I suppose they would simply make him the Viper character... realism doesn't seem to be an issue. :lol:

The idea of the female hot shot seems kind of tired as well. It's like The Next Karate Kid all over again. If they really want to make it better while still keeping it tied to the first time, they should have Maverick's kid coming up through the program... they'd have to alter the time line a bit but nonetheless it could work. They can stick him with a female WSO... Iceman's kid. :lol:
--Chris
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

God no, one homo-erotic aviation cheese fest is more than enough thank you!
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I loved the movie. I was 13 and wanted to be a pilot, of course. I wasn't smart enough so I joined the infantry. I still like military aviation if you haven't noticed.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I don't know how to feel about this....half of me is uber excited, the other half is somewhat nervous about what a bomb this probably would be. It does make me laugh to think of Rear Admiral (LH) Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, Admiral Mike "Viper" Metcalf (ret.), and of course Rear Admiral (UH) Tom "Iceman" Kazansky lol.

Also a movie about the superbug? No. Just...no.

Now what they SHOULD do is make "Red Flag" the movie with a whole new cast and story line lol
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

dogden
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

ICEMAN the later years

Post by dogden »

A remake of TOPGUN..... been done by SNL

See here
http://www.usafitz.com/SupportingPages/iceman.htm

David
David Ogden
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Now that is funny. LOL

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
copterman5
Cadet
Cadet

Post by copterman5 »

Wow. That's hilarious! :lol:
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

"You guys are dangerous!"

Was about to post this, keep it on my flashdrive for a quick laugh at work. I decided to join the Navy way before Top Gun came out, but after seeing the movie, the deal was sealed. Even at 12 yrs old, I was able to spot all the "wrongs" with the F-14 and the infamous "Mig-28".
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Love that short clip! :lol:

@Victory:
At that time it was hard to get a real MiG for a movie :wink:

BTW: the most shitty crap they showed here was "Jets" - a series about German Air Force pilots in a soap opera style. When they showed a Tornado (when there was supposed to be ONE only) it changed its configuration on every cut. It even changed regs and colors and the funniest thing: they even switched between Air Force and Navy aircraft.

For those that are familiar with Decimomannu AB: Did you know that there is a little cafe close to the north parking? (it was displayed in front of the building we used as our command post) :lol: I have never seen it!
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Yeh hey tried the same thing here in the UK, on the back of the immensely popular "Soldier, Soldier" they released a pilot episode of "Strike Force" a program about RAF Tornado F3 Pilots at RAF Leeming. What a shambles that was.....the only good thing about it was a shot at the end, after a pilot had been doing a strafing run and got a ricochet caught in his ejection system and then landed, they disembarked and as they were running away from the aircraft, the ejection seat went off.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Like Danny, I have a soft spot for the movie because it's a movie from childhood that I loved. For all of its flaws(which were noticeable as a child as well), it's still one of(if not the best) military aviation movie.

It's hands down better than Iron Eagle. And Stealth was pretty lame as well.
--Chris
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

You guys are soooo young!

When I was a kid (a brat living on or near base - in any case spending as much time as possible on base, and as near the flight line as I could get away with) I learned to love a number of movies that are now becoming available again thru Amazon etc.

For example: The Bridges at Toko-Ri - Dad was in the Navy before shipping over to the Air Force and there were plenty of Panthers at DNAS, so I ate this one up. The Hunters - after changing over to AF we were at Lincoln AFB and there were a number of F-86's, as well as many other classic AF a/c. This one has great flying scene's (perhaps some of the best jet scene's ever), but like all of them, a rather hoky story line. The Jimmy Stewart movies about the AF - for one, Stratigic Air Command, with wonderful scene's of B-36 and B-52. There is on with Rock Hudson, can't rememberr the name, but once you remove the hoke part of the story, the base plot was about ORI's, which I witnessed aplenty, and can attest that the depiction in this particular move was pretty accurate, and a great B-52 movie.

Sure Top Gun was lots of fun, but it doesn't deserve the apparent Top Slot that it seems to enjoy. It's one of a group of wonderful movies made over the years that are of special interest to aviation fans. BTW, has anyone ever seen Cloud Dancer with David Carridine?

Ron
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

SMOC wrote:Like Danny, I have a soft spot for the movie because it's a movie from childhood that I loved. For all of its flaws(which were noticeable as a child as well), it's still one of(if not the best) military aviation movie.

It's hands down better than Iron Eagle. And Stealth was pretty lame as well.
agree 100% but i thought stealth was the WORST movie of all time the only thing it had going for it was jessica beil :lol:
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

pretty much all aviation fans my age have a soft spot for Top Gun whether they'll admit it or not and is undoubtly one of several reasons why alot of guys chose to fly tactical aircraft. A couple of my friends from college made a spoof of Top Gun a couple years back which was UBER GAY :lol: but to their credit almost all of them are now flying military aircraft including a couple flying fighters. Top Gun is definately up there in aviation movies though I'm still a huge fan of the classics like Battle of Britain, The Right Stuff, Flight of the Intruder and more recently Speed and Angels and Carrier which are both documentaries definately worth checking out
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

"Flight of the Intuder" is a great movie. "The Final Countdown" is a pretty good one too despite the hokie story line lol. Turkeys vs. Zeros? Come on that's awesome!!!! :D
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Jumpshot724 wrote:"Flight of the Intuder" is a great movie. "The Final Countdown" is a pretty good one too despite the hokie story line lol. Turkeys vs. Zeros? Come on that's awesome!!!! :D
I can't get past the time travel aspect of Final Countdown... it drives me nuts.
djnocturnal wrote:agree 100% but i thought stealth was the WORST movie of all time the only thing it had going for it was jessica beil
I would stay Stealth is probably the worst as well. But again Iron Eagle was pretty awful... at least it didn't feature UAVs.

Flight of the Intruder is pretty good... Willem Dafoe is a tremendous actor. I'm a big fan of SAC... but clearly doesn't deal with TAC aircraft. Bat*21 is pretty good as well(for leaving some out). Also like Tuskegee Airmen.
--Chris
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

SMOC wrote:
Jumpshot724 wrote:"Flight of the Intuder" is a great movie. "The Final Countdown" is a pretty good one too despite the hokie story line lol. Turkeys vs. Zeros? Come on that's awesome!!!! :D
I can't get past the time travel aspect of Final Countdown... it drives me nuts.
djnocturnal wrote:agree 100% but i thought stealth was the WORST movie of all time the only thing it had going for it was jessica beil
I would stay Stealth is probably the worst as well. But again Iron Eagle was pretty awful... at least it didn't feature UAVs.

Flight of the Intruder is pretty good... Willem Dafoe is a tremendous actor. I'm a big fan of SAC... but clearly doesn't deal with TAC aircraft. Bat*21 is pretty good as well(for leaving some out). Also like Tuskegee Airmen.
BAT21 actually just went off a couple minutes ago, I used to think that was a pretty good movie until I started learning about the true story of BAT21 which the movie doesn't even come close to depicting but it may have been for the fact the the true story had been classified until recently. Tuskegee Airman, I'm a big fan of but it seemed really rushed so I'm definately looking forward to the George Lucas' "Red Tails" whenever that comes out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/