Cockpit Visibility and Transparent Canopies

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
aerogator

Cockpit Visibility and Transparent Canopies

Post by aerogator »

OK, I've searched the forums with no results :( and I know I've seen this somewhere. I'm having a problem with certain parts of the inside of my cockpit not showing up behind the canopy glass. I thought I could add all parts after the transparent part and they would show through but a couple still do not. In fact, they all show through the windshield glass but not the main canopy glass. Whats going on here? :?

I have an inside glass and an outside glass; both reflective and transparent and all glass put in before the parts inside the cockpit. As far as I can tell, all the glass has the same properties and uses the same reflective texture.

Very frustrating! Any help welcomed :)

Thanks
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

Its the part sorting.

Select all the glass parts and cut them (not delete).
Then paste them back.
This should put them at the end of the parts list when compiling.

Or it might be the opposite.
Select al the glass parts thendo a reverse select so it selects all the other parts. Cut and paste them.

Can't remeber which way round it is.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

I think you're right Kev. I also had some other things wrong too. Somehow I had either lost the "glass" properties for the parts or had not given them separate properties.

I tried both of the sequences that you suggested but still came out with the same thing. I went back and looked at theparts properties and noticed the glass was "DEFAULT". When I changed that, it all looked fine.

I still think it has something yo do with the parts order but I had such a mess, I'll never know exactly.

Thanks for the lesson on how to put them in order. I thought there was a dialog box that listed all of the parts in a hiearchical order but I can't even find that now.

Oh well, its fixed :D

Thanks,
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

Jake there is a heirachy box

Model - View Heirachy

But the order of the parts shouldnt cause them to not show whats underneath. Ive never had a problem with cockpit windows with my models, and sometimes my parts order is all over the place. The way I always do it though is to make the parts, texture and material them, and then just copy them and invert all the polys. Easiest way, and if you leave it until you are satisfied with the cockpit then you dont have to keep redoing it.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

and then just copy them and invert all the polys
:? I don't follow you Nick :oops: What does this do?