Non-translated words

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Non-translated words

Post by sprocky »

While I was studying some history on private interest I stumbled over german words in foreign languages. As this forum is mainly English I'd like to know if you are used to the list of German words:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ge ... in_English

I knew of "kindergarden", "fahrvergnugen", "autobahn" or "blitzkrieg". But I did not know that there exist so many others :shock:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

We used to transliterate common British english phrases into german when I lived over there.

Try this;

Drei stuck bonbon

Schutzenfest polizei, chef

I'd imagine only the Brits would understand the translations.

Three piece sweet (suite).

Fair cop, guv.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

One of my areas of concentration in graduate school was linguistic anthropology and etymology. English is such a polyglot language, incorporating grammar, word roots and even entire words from other languages, that I'm not surprised at this list. The fact that English is a "Germanic" language definitely has had an impact on modern English. I believe that English is currently considered the language with the largest number of words in addition to having the fastest growing vocabulary. Add to that the fact that English dialects exist and things get even more interesting.

Contrast this with the French language after the establishment of the government agency which insists that French maintain its "purity" and resisted even the incorporation of the now-global expression "computer", and you can see the other end of the linguistic spectrum. "Official" French grows far slower than English, vocabulary-wise, due to the approval process.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

And yet I haven't heard global calls for the removal of rendesvous and restaurant from the english language :lol:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

CelticWarrior wrote:We used to transliterate common British english phrases into german when I lived over there.

Try this;

Drei stuck bonbon

Schutzenfest polizei, chef

I'd imagine only the Brits would understand the translations.

Three piece sweet (suite).

Fair cop, guv.
You are right: I don't get it :lol:

In school we also translated German words to English trying to do it literally (try to understand those :wink: ):

striptease table
water Rooster

A special thing about the German language is to add some words resulting in one word. Example:

Polizeihauptwachtmeisterswitwe = widow of the former chief of the police (although this word is rarely used)

Edit:
Funny, does the forum software exchange words I wrote if they could possibly have a vulgar meaning? I did not type rooster :lol:
Last edited by sprocky on 19 Nov 2008, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I love languages, I'm crap at them, but I love spending time swapping words and getting to know phrases
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

CelticWarrior wrote:I love languages, I'm crap at them, but I love spending time swapping words and getting to know phrases
Me too. In school time I learned Russian (6 years), Spanish (5 years) and English (5 years). Unfortunately lacking use caused big holes in Russain and Spanish knowledge :? But it is still enough to visit websites written in those languages :D Also when I travel to other countries I try to pick up some local words - the usual ones :wink: "A beer, please." or "Thanks."

Meaning of the words from my post above:
extending table
faucet
Jan
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

sprocky wrote:water rooster <snip>
Edit:
Funny, does the forum software exchange words I wrote if they could possibly have a vulgar meaning? I did not type rooster :lol:
Um, in American English, we have an idiomatic phrase, rooster tail, which refers to the water that sometimes sprayed upwards and backwards "like a rooster's tail feathers" behind high-speed boats or other watercraft. I'm not sure if that phrase is used in British English. Is that something you were referring to when you typed whatever you typed?
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Ford Friendly wrote:Um, in American English, we have an idiomatic phrase, rooster tail, which refers to the water that sometimes sprayed upwards and backwards "like a rooster's tail feathers" behind high-speed boats or other watercraft. I'm not sure if that phrase is used in British English. Is that something you were referring to when you typed whatever you typed?
Nope. It's kind of a valve you open when you want to wash your hands.

The word I actually typed could refer - in bad language - to a piece of a man women do not have :wink: I'll try to describe it (hoping it will be displayed the way I typed): take the first four letters of "cockroach".
Jan
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Ah, well we have something called a "ball Rooster valve" which is a self-regulating device controlling the supply of water in a tank, cistern, or toilet by means of a float connected to a valve that opens or closes with a change in water level.

That's not a nasty word or phrase.

Edit. Yep.. the word c-o-c-k was changed to Rooster.
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

CelticWarrior wrote:And yet I haven't heard global calls for the removal of rendesvous and restaurant from the english language :lol:
So when I go to Paris one of these days, how would I order french fries or french toast?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kevin Jarvis

CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

KevinJarvis wrote:So when I go to Paris one of these days, how would I order french fries or french toast?
Easy! Apples of the earth, fried (pommes [de terre] frites) :lol:

But of course in the UK you'll ask for chips, which are something else entriely for you septics :wink:
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Fisch panzer - Fish tank (aquaruim)

Ich habe halfte panzer links - I have half a tank left (fuel)
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Weescotty wrote:Fisch panzer - Fish tank (aquaruim)

Ich habe halfte panzer links - I have half a tank left (fuel)
:lol: there are also words that have different meanings in both languages.

While a "gift" means a present in English it is poison in German. And don't ask for extra "pickles" in a German Burger King restaurant as you are asking for extra pimples. :wink: A friend of mine did that once back in the 90's and the lady was shocked at first until I cleared the situation. :lol:
Jan