C-17 Globemaster

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
eli
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

C-17 Globemaster

Post by eli »

Although not AI, I thought people would be interested in knowing the AlphaSim C-17 project is still alive. This from their website:

"Work continues on our C-17 Globemaster ! We are not quite ready to show any new pictures, but several people have asked to see the original screenshots we published on our forum, so here they are :
Screenshots: one, two, three, four, five."
Jumpshot724
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I used to love Alphasim, but I hate the way they do their a/c .configs. You need 60% thrust just to keep moving on the ground!! The only thing Alphasim has going for it is that a lot of the a/c they make are not offered anywhere else, so you're kinda stuck having to buy them. Personally, I think there's a lot of freeware out there that has a LOT better modeling/detail than the $20.00USD something that you spend on Alphasim a/c.

Plus, I hear they don't take constructive criticism well lol
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

Felixthreeone
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Felixthreeone »

Jumpshot724 wrote:I used to love Alphasim, but I hate the way they do their a/c .configs. You need 60% thrust just to keep moving on the ground!! The only thing Alphasim has going for it is that a lot of the a/c they make are not offered anywhere else, so you're kinda stuck having to buy them. Personally, I think there's a lot of freeware out there that has a LOT better modeling/detail than the $20.00USD something that you spend on Alphasim a/c.

Plus, I hear they don't take constructive criticism well lol
$20.00US? WOW have you been on their site recently Junpshot? Most of the recent releases start around $35 and go up as high as $65!!!!!! And I agree with the constructive criticism thing as well.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I had nothing but trouble with Alphasim a few years ago when a download failed and they refused to help me any way. I ended up paying for the same product twice. Their attitude was arrogant and dismissive from the outset, with not a hint of compromise.

I haven't touched any of their stuff since.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

They pretty much shot themselves in their own foot. They hyped the @#$% out of this C-17 model, ASKED for input on it, didn't like some of the input they got and decided to take its development underground.

I remember I asked once in their support forum why an expensive helicopter model like their MH-53 did not have a realistic start up and shut down sequence. The reply was that it was not possible to do in FS9. I said what about all of Jordan Moore's FREEWARE helicopters, they have one......Never heard back from Phil on that one, LOL.

I also wanted to buy the AH-64D model of the Apache. Not the A model when it came out. I SPECIFICALLY asked Phil himself if they would be making the D model. He said that they had no plans to do the Longbow version, so I ended up purchasing the A model. Imagine my surprise when they released the D model. I even asked again if those who bought the A model could have a discount for the D model, you can guess what the answer was to that.

Like others have said, HORRIBLE ways to treat your CUSTOMERS!!

I just looked and their prices on their past releases have come down a good bit. Maybe they're realizing that their stuff isn't all that any more.

VRS charges $45/US for their model which offers more functionality than any other military payware model in the history of the FS series. If AlphaSim ever charges anything close to this for ANY of their products ever again, they are smoking crack.

It's a shame too because their models visually are very good. But like someone else said, their functionality and flyability is just lousy.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

$20.00US? WOW have you been on their site recently Junpshot? Most of the recent releases start around $35 and go up as high as $65!!!!!! And I agree with the constructive criticism thing as well.
No, I haven't but after your post I went to check it out....WOW :shock: !! What the heck are they smoking over there!?!?

Took a look at that C-17, it looks "nice" but it definetly doesn't look like what it's being built up to be. I know I won't be buying it....

Didn't POSKY make a pretty good freeware C-17 a while back??
-Joe W.

eli
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by eli »

OK Why don't you tell me what you really think.

Didn't start this to solicit opions. Just threw this out there to inform.

Haven't bought anything from them in a while so maybe things have changed over there.

That's about all I have to contribute.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

AlphaSim........let's just say it's a touchy subject for some of us. 8)
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

It's definitely a YMMV subject. I had no problems with them 99% of the time. That 1%, however, does stick out.

Now, I just take their freeware as it is offered and figure that I've come out ahead.
Why waste 'trons for a snappy signature when I can use this?
flyerkg
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by flyerkg »

Yeah, I keep licking my chops over that UH-60 Blackhawk payware on Alphasim, then I look at the price and I ask myself why should I do it? But again, I can't build planes. I have a couple of design programs, GMAX, FSDS and such. I tried a couple models and I just don't have the time to commit to getting better at it, but there are a few aircraft that I have not seen available yet from any payware that I would pay lots of dollars for if they were available.

Keith
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Yeah, I keep licking my chops over that UH-60 Blackhawk payware on Alphasim, then I look at the price and I ask myself why should I do it?
Dude, there's a VERY nice freeware Pavehawk on HoverControl

*Very well detailed
*4-5 paintschemes
*Nice handling
*Opening side cargo doors + cockpit doors

I've had it for a few years, definetly a great model and worth looking into 8)
-Joe W.

msm8378
Captain
Captain

Alphasim

Post by msm8378 »

I bought the C-5 Galaxy from these folks some time back. I am a huge fan of the beast and have flown in them many, many times.

After downloading and playing with it for a couple of hours I ended up scrapping it. However, I did take the panel and add it to Mike Stone's C-5. As far as I am concerned Mike's is still the best rendition of this venerable aircraft and it is free to boot...

Footnote...Hopefully this summer I will try and get a couple of videos to post online showing C-5B and C-5M doing VFR TNG's at KHOP. It is almost unbelievable to watch what some of the pilots can do with this thing as far as short radius turns and what not... :lol:
flyerkg
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Re: Alphasim

Post by flyerkg »

msm8378 wrote: After downloading and playing with it for a couple of hours I ended up scrapping it. However, I did take the panel and add it to Mike Stone's C-5. As far as I am concerned Mike's is still the best rendition of this venerable aircraft and it is free to boot...
I have the Alphasim C-5 as well. I enjoy the animation it has for ramp operations as the airframe lowers itself. I did have one issue with the sound. I attempted to apply a modified sound file I made by mixing and matching some old sounds. It was a nice enhancement to Mike Ston's version. However, I couldn't get the sound to transition smoothly through engine spool-up. So the idle sound abruptly shifts to the full-throttle sound and is no longer appealing.

Keith