Overhead Break Turn

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
rcrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Overhead Break Turn

Post by rcrc »

WOW-Yesterday on my way home from work I saw a C17 do the Overhead Break to land :shock: ...that was one of the coolest freaking things!! Such a big plane doing it!

There were 2 of them doing tng's at the time, so I tried to get a picture of the second one just in case it did it too, but it just did a low level flyover(?) and stayed in the pattern.

I know for you real-life military folk, this ain't really a big deal, but for we civilians, it's pretty freakin' sweet!

okay-I'm done. :lol:
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Yea I saw the C-17 demo at this past year's NAS Oceana airshow. It's pretty impressive what that thing can do.

Which is why, if by god's good graces I get selected for pilot training this May, the C-17 is my number 2 choice :D
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

NAS Oceana airshow C-17 demo was great. Our KC-135 do an overhead break here at KGSB all the time. They like to pretent they are Strike Eagles :)
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

A Couple of weeks ago I saw a pair of C-17's flying an approach into Oceana on 5R and they both did an overhead break. I thought it was pretty awesome to say the least that these guys were trying to be like fighter pilots.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Very cool indeed. Grew up watching C-130's do this at KLRF, and later on watching P-3's at KNIP do the "break".
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
rcrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rcrc »

Jumpshot724 wrote:Yea I saw the C-17 demo at this past year's NAS Oceana airshow. It's pretty impressive what that thing can do.

Which is why, if by god's good graces I get selected for pilot training this May, the C-17 is my number 2 choice :D
Thats awesome Jumpshot!

Good luck and keep us posted.
rcrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rcrc »

jetmax wrote:NAS Oceana airshow C-17 demo was great. Our KC-135 do an overhead break here at KGSB all the time. They like to pretent they are Strike Eagles :)
lol

Wow so I guess thats a standard military practice even for the big boys huh?
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

They did it at Offutt "Arrows to Aerospace" show this year also. I went out to see the arrivals and they did it then too. The overhead break isn't exclusive to fighters. It is actually a fuel saving manuver to avoid a long rectangular approach. I recall learning a similar technique, a 180 side, approach in private pilot training.
GZR_SACTARGETS
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

GZR_Sactargets wrote:They did it at Offutt "Arrows to Aerospace" show this year also. I went out to see the arrivals and they did it then too. The overhead break isn't exclusive to fighters. It is actually a fuel saving manuver to avoid a long rectangular approach. I recall learning a similar technique, a 180 side, approach in private pilot training.
yeah, all military aircraft except rotary wing use it I believe, some of my friends going through primary have mentioned how cool it is to get to "call the break" in T-6As and T-34s 8)
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Yea the purpose of "the break" is to take aircraft that are in a tight formation and seperate them as efficiently as possible and make them far enough apart for a safe landing. Saves fuel, saves time as a/c approach the field rather fast and use the break to slow down for landing thus eliminating long slow approaches, and saves time-on-runway too :D
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Above all correct and also used in a "combat" environment, as stated, as to not have the landing aircraft drag in the approach.

For the helos, USN/USMC students do the "break" the TH-57's at NAS Whiting Fld South, probably just a carry over from primary flight training in the T-34.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

We would do the "break" mostly after doing a fly over mission on our H-60 Blackhawks. If I was in the "lead" helo, I (Crewchief) would remind the pilots to call for a break overhead on our return to our unit base and it did make an impression on the guys in the ground, ( it feel awesome also in the air). Flying in Army Guard helos for 25 years gives you some "voice" in the cabin. Lewis
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Nice Lewis, come back and crew for me. Having a Navy background and very used to watching fast movers come in to a NAS for the break. I can't convince anyone to do it, besides the Army controller wouldn't understand my request! Now I just joke about, "Hey lets do the break".
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris