Military charters

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Military charters

Post by sprocky »

While I feel right comfortable with the current mix of combat, commercial and cargo aircraft installed in my sim I found some gaps I'd like to fill: military charters. Therefore I took a closer look at the data available for the North American Airlines fleet (NAO) using ACARS and flightaware. The problem with flightaware is that they do not show every flight and you cannot search by the tail# (at least not for the NAO ones). ACARS lists flights by tail# but does not show orig/dest on military command flights. Due to some flights I found I know where some aircraft were going to but do not know where they came from :roll:

Question 1: Does anybody have a different source where to look for NAO flights?
Question 2: Does anybody have insider information on NAO flights? I am interested in the period 25th February - 3rd March 2009.

Also I noticed at least three callsigns: REACH, NORTH AMERICAN and BISCAYNE.

3rd and last question :wink: : Is there a way to handle this in FS9 within one traffic file?

Thanks in advance![/b]
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Jan,
I can't really give you too much info on NAO flights but about once a week either a 757 or a 767 is at the AMC terminal at Chambers Field (KNGU).

Flights from here go to Lajes, Sigonella, Souda Bay, Naples, Bahrain, Djibouti, Diego Garcia, Jacksonville & Gitmo.
I am not sure if these are NAO flights or Military flights (C-9,C-40,C-5, and C-17). But if you wanted to make your own flight plans this could give you a start.

Les
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Les,

KNGU has been recorded for visit on a Sunday and a Tuesday B763 flight :wink:

Also there are 763 flights from Dallas to Leipzig and back on a daily basis

Your post will help me to fill some gaps. Thanks for the reply!
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
bitburgeaglekeeper
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by bitburgeaglekeeper »

As far as your call signs,

REACH: C-17 units

NORTH AMERICAN: North American Airlines (KJFK based 757 767)

BISCAYNE: Miami Air International (KMIA based also several based at KSAN 737-800)

World Airways (KATL DC-10 MD-11) also runs a ton of military charters

World tends to do the long haul stuff to Europe and Asia, usually originate at a east coast airport to Ramstein, or RAF Mildenhal, West cost, to Hickum and on to Kadena.

you see Miami Air doing a lot of work for the Marines in the USA.

With the exception of the trans atlantic and trans pacific flights the others are onky chartered as needed.
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

"REACH" is an Air Mobility Command generic callsign, not just for C-17s
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

Omni Air International is also hauling forces out of KHOP along with the others listed. On long-haul to Iraq or Afghanistan they usually depart KHOP to Ireland (EINN)...
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Every time I have been its with North American. Last tour: KCOS-KJFK (Fuel/Crew change) on to Ireland (Shannon or Glasgow)-Kuwait Intl.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Victory103 wrote:Every time I have been its with North American. Last tour: KCOS-KJFK (Fuel/Crew change) on to Ireland (Shannon or Glasgow)-Kuwait Intl.
What a/c was it? The B752 or the B763? Would like to implement this :)
Jan
drydocker
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drydocker »

We get a mac flight out of kchs twice a month using a DC-10 and we get American Airlines B763 I think coming in every once in awhile and they leave here going to KBAD. Omni Air International comes here too and we get World Airways. Baltimore/Washington is a good hub for military flights.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

sprocky wrote: What a/c was it? The B752 or the B763? Would like to implement this :)
B757 mostly.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Thank you for this information! I am glad it is a 752. Otherwise I had to rework the 763 plans. But I still have a 752 with a few days ground time. Now I know where to send it. :wink:
Jan
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Is anybody familiar with operations at Diego Garcia (FJDG) field? My flightplans will include this one. Currently arrival time will be around 02:00 am local. Is this realistic? Otherwise I will have to plan an additional overnight stop on the previous airfield.
Jan
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Jan,
In a previous post it was mentioned other a/c that show up.
Here at KNGU on a regular basis I have seen the NAO B763, ATI DC-8-73, OMNI AIR INTERNATIONAL's MD-11(DC-10) not sure as I haven't been able to get a good look at it driving by. I have also seen the World Airways a/c here but not for awhile. Another carrier that shows up has been EVERGREEN and POLAR with 747's. Not sure how indepth you want to go with the mil charters. If you want more info let me know.

Les
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Les,

Currently I am focused on the NAO fleet (just some tweaking needed before beta test). But OAE, WOA and ATN may follow soon. EIA and PAC may also be a choice for future FP developments. Whatever information you have on those you may pass them to my hands.

Also I incorporated some of the flights you mentioned in an earlier post. That's why I came across with the question about FJDG in my previous post. :wink:
Jan
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

With NAO being completed and passed to the beta testers (not the MAIW ones :wink: ) I moved to OAE. It was pretty easy to find data for the B752 N549AX (12 weekly legs PHNL<->KLAS). But it is a lot harder to find flights for the rest of the fleet. 26 flights within the last 7 days is not much for the remaining 12 aircrafts. :(

Anybody having more information on those planes? Perhaps some regular flights?

Thanks in advance!
Jan
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Hey Jan, I'm not sure about specific airlines, but we have several charters in and out of Benning (KLSF). I'm pretty sure I've seen an Omni DC-10 and the occasional 747. I don't know whither they are bound, however. Hope this helps some. :D
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Yes, Jake, an OAE DC-10 has been in KLSF last Sunday. It came from KBWI and moved on to KATL :wink:

I'd like to know which asian airfields do they visit. I am thinking of Kabul, Baghdad or wherever else they go. And if they go there (instead of military transport a/c): do they use the public or miltary airfields?

Also I read they move(d) UK troops, too. I remember having seen an OAE DC-10 last year @ EDDV possibly being in such a roll. Wherelse would they move? LCRA?
Jan
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Jan, you might also want to use FlightAware to check out KGRK. We usually have 2-3 flights per week, usually Omni or World, but also Kallita, Northwest and so on. Previous/next leg is ofter a JSRB, or one of the gateways to international destinations (where the trail ends). Over a period of time you should be able to accumulate a list of typical to/froms and providers to incorporate into you project.

This week it has been Bangor, Maine (probably a gateway, therefore troops to/from the sandbox) and to Minneapolis-St Paul (probably a transfer of Guard/Reserve unit for training here at Ft Hood) A/C used were B742, MD11, DC10, and other points each a/c touched included military and joint use bases scattered around the US. Two active Divisions live here as do some large Guard/Reserve units, and many come here for training. Excluding the NTC, this is the largest Army Installation in the US, so there will always be pleanty of activity here.

Ron
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Thanks for the information. I looked at flightaware already and got these for OAE (DC-10) :wink:

KBGR,2/07:07:00,2/10:59:00,300,F,0773,KGRK,2/12:53:00,2/14:35:00,370,F,0773,KATL,

Bangor is used many times from what I saw at flightaware. At least four times within the last seven days (does not include flights under the "REACH" callsign). Also I noticed many departures from KATL, KLSF and KBWI.
Jan
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Jan,
Had a OAE DC-10 arrive at KLFI yesterday. Flight originated from KATL. This particular aircraft last run was in Dec and it's route was KATL>KPOB>KBGR then there is nothing else from flightaware until yesterday on this aircraft.

Hope this helps in your planning.

Later
Les