Bitmap loading performance

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Bitmap loading performance

Post by N35W »

Question. Does using one 1024x1024 bitmap for textures give better loading performance than multiable bitmaps of differnt sizes?

My hunch is the first way is the best way.

I've come across some nice little alternative AI aircraft awhile back. They had plenty of LODs and even the highest LOD had low polys. However, there were separate bitmaps for different parts of the aircraft.

Trying to find out what was robbing my frame rates, I tried removing this type of aircraft from my test groupe, there seemed to be less pausing when doing a 360 pan view.
Jeff
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Your hunch is correct, hence why you see most of our aircraft use just one 1024x1024 sheet for the entire aircraft. Another technique that works well is to use just a single texture file for multiple uses such as for weapons loadouts. Instead of having to include the file in every single aircraft's texture folder, a single texture can be placed into the FS9/Texture folder and FS9 will use it from there. That alone saves a ton of draw calls and space.

The draw calls along with total number of polygons are the two biggies as far as performance goes. The fewer textures that FS9 has to call upon, the faster it can draw them and the faster the sim runs.

Same holds true for scenery as well.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
N35W
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by N35W »

That's good to know! :D You just gave me a idea then. If the master wepons sheet saves on draw calls. Then I could see something like a master landing gear turbine and prop sheet.
Jeff
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

the prop textures are a good candidate for that. Also the night light map for most AI aircraft can use just a single file.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log