Last military flight

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Last military flight

Post by CelticWarrior »

I'm not sure whether to post this in Real Life Military or here.

Anyway, today I flew my last flight in the military after over 25 years as aircrew and over 20 years as a pilot. In that time I've accumulated nearly 8,000 hours - 6,500 of them as a pilot. It was a really touching surprise to find the whole squadron waiting for my return from that last sortie, with a bottle of champagne and a speech from my Boss. I hate having my photo taken, but I was unable to escape on this occasion.

I joined the Army nearly 33 years ago as a tank crewman, so I think it'd be fair to say I've seen one or two changes. One I find almost amusing is that when I joined, my regiment was desperately under-manned and we had to 'borrow' soldiers from another unit to complete an infantry tour in Belfast during the early part of 1978. Some things never change, do they?

Some things, however, have remained constant - the British squaddie's sense of humour, dedication and commitment. You can't beat the loyalty of 'the team', of those friends and colleagues who would lay down their life for you, and for others, selflessly. We see this quality on our TV screens almost daily from Afghanistan and I'm immensley proud to have served with this superb group of people.

The courage displayed by these young men and women is utterly inspiring and I hope the youth of today hold them in the regard which they're due, forever.

I start my new job on 7 Dec (my 50th birthday) as a civilian instructor on the sister squadron to that on which I now serve, and I hope I can continue to mould future generations of military pilots for many years to come. More, I hope that these young aviators from the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, British Army and Royal Air Force will remain safe and live to serve longer than I have.

Fear naught
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Last military flight

Post by sprocky »

Must be a very hard day for you. Even though I sometimes hated the Navy I felt like falling into a hole the last active day when me and some long time colleagues were waving goodbye.

May I ask what type of a/c did you pilot in the past?
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Congratulations on your retirement. It sounds like you still get to fly the same aircraft.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Congrats Cary, remember it's only the close of one chapter and the start of yet another. :wink:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

sprocky wrote:Must be a very hard day for you. Even though I sometimes hated the Navy I felt like falling into a hole the last active day when me and some long time colleagues were waving goodbye.
It's bittersweet, isn't it? At least I will still have close contact to the same world, and where I teach is also the instructor school, so old friends pass through constantly.
sprocky wrote:May I ask what type of a/c did you pilot in the past?
Ah :) My log book is pretty full, in fact I'm on my third now. I started in training on Chipmunk fixed wing and Gazelle helicopters and went on to fly Gazelle and Lynx operationally. I've been teaching on the Squirrel (Eurocopter AS350BB) for a number of years, but in those logbooks are ;

Scout
Allouette II and III
Wasp
Sioux (Bell 47G)
Skeeter
Islander
Beaver
Auster
Hip
Hind
UH-60
AH-1
AH-64
UH-1
Kiowa
Firefly
Tutor
Hawk
Chinook
Puma
Wessex
Merlin
CH-53
oh, and the one I'll never touch again with a bargepole ...
R-22

:lol:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

BadPvtDan wrote:Congratulations on your retirement.
Thank you :)
BadPvtDan wrote:It sounds like you still get to fly the same aircraft.
Yes, I will, until it's replaced in a couple of years when they renew the training contract.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

MIKE JG wrote:Congrats Cary, remember it's only the close of one chapter and the start of yet another. :wink:
Thank you Mike, that's a good thing to keep in mind :D
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Congratulations and thanks for your service from a grateful ally. :) Good luck in your future endeavours. :D
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

aerogator wrote:Congratulations and thanks for your service from a grateful ally. :) Good luck in your future endeavours. :D
Thanks Jake :)
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Congrats on completion of Phase I. My best to you as you begin Phase II.

Ron
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

ronniegj wrote:Congrats on completion of Phase I. My best to you as you begin Phase II.

Ron
:lol:

Yep, toughest test yet!
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

I always look up when I see a Eurocopter turn over keadby PS and think I wonder if that is Cary :lol:

Hope you have a happy time in your new job

same suit just no hat :D

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Cary

All the best in the new role, wish you all the best..

.... A great logbook you have there....

What was the Hind like to fly?

Barry
Barry
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Garysb wrote:same suit just no hat :D
Precisely!

They did get baseball caps a few years ago with our callsigns on the back. Mine was A55 at the time (think about it!) :lol:
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

btaylo24 wrote:What was the Hind like to fly?
Heavy! :smt003
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

Congrats on your job change.

I think you might be quite lucky in that you are staying in a military environment. It took some time for me to adjust to civilian attitudes after I quit the RN. 5 years on and I'm just about civilianised :D
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

petebramley wrote:Congrats on your job change.

I think you might be quite lucky in that you are staying in a military environment. It took some time for me to adjust to civilian attitudes after I quit the RN. 5 years on and I'm just about civilianised :D
Thanks Pete. I've heard a lot of people say they've found it quite difficult adjusting to civilian work practices. I suppose that's why most ex-Forces have 2 or 3 jobs in the first year.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sprocky »

CelticWarrior wrote:I've heard a lot of people say they've found it quite difficult adjusting to civilian work practices. I suppose that's why most ex-Forces have 2 or 3 jobs in the first year.
Left the Navy June 2000 and currently working for the fourth company. Actually the fifth if you count a take-over after which they laid off staff. :roll:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)