Can't get cannopies to show up

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Can't get cannopies to show up

Post by rassy7 »

I am using FSX as opposed to FS9. Perhaps this is the real problem here but in case it's now, here goes:

I have installed several F-16 and F-15 packages and can't get the cannopies to show up for either aircraft. Is there a workaround here, or someprocess I can go through to get this fixed for FSX?

Thanks for your help,

~Josh
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: Can't get cannopies to show up

Post by BadPvtDan »

This is a well known issue in FSX. I don't remember if there's a workaround. Some searching on the site will give u the answer.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Ok, thanks anyway. I've run into similary problems with flyable FS9 aircraft in FSX so I figured that was probably it. I'll keep looking, :)

~Josh
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Josh try searching the term "flip alpha channel" on here or some of the other FS sites. It has to do with the way FS9 handles transparency vs. FSX.

Some of the MAIW models have both transparent and reflective canopies which work differently in FSX.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Really? That works for these AI models too? I for a brief period of time, updraged to SP2 and had to the flip the Alpha on my F-16, then eventually reverted back to SP1. If I do the same thing with the AI models, the glass should show up?

Do you know the specific image file names?

~Josh
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

SP2 solved the problem for me-I would install it again if I were you.
Then of course disable aircraft shadows to make sure the planes actually show up.
Hope this helps.
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Well, I gave SP2 about a two-week test drive and found that I lost more than I gained because so much of my aftermarket software and third-party aircraft either don't work or experience unacceptable problems, though it did speed up my performance considerably in certain areas.

So running SP1 and trying to solve the issue, I took a stab at flipping the alpha channel on an MAIW F-16, the Eglin jets actually, and couldn't make it work. I wasn't exactly sure which of the two texture files to try though, so I tried them both. Let me know if anyone finds a way to make this work. In the meantime, I'll keep working on it.

~Josh
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

hmmm, well, I tried flipping alphas before and it didn't work for me. I think this may be because the canopies simply did not show up at all but I really don't know. The only way I found to actually get the canopies to show up was Sp2 but obviously for you this is not an option. Hopefully someone else on here will have some idea on how to fix the problem.
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by Graham King »

The canopy reflection is part of the model and not the texture. The alpha channel on my paints was used for the chrome of the landing gear oleo and the exhaust door of the APU.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Ya, I'm finding it pretty much has to be the model because there doesn't appear to me, to be the correct texture anywhere associated with the aircraft. There is no "glass" texture and whichever of you said the canopy not showing up at all could be the problem, I agree. The A-10s are weird though. When you get cloe enough to them, the display perfectly, but once you move back enough, they turn into opaque green panels basically.

Also, I'm not opposed to installing SP2, and acutally would prefer it to SP1, but I would need to find the a few fixes I couldn't previously. The three that really eerked me were the holes in the virtual cockpit of Dino C's (can't remember how to spell his last name so apologies to him) excellent F-14 model, the transparent box behind a sticked located just behind the cockpit on Kirk Olsen's fantastic F-16 model and worst of all, little black boxes or diamonds that flash around aircraft when they are far in the distance and just coming into view. I fly with other people sometimes specifically with sort of a hide-and-seek setup and the black box flashes give away where someone is, in addition to being annoying. If either of you had come across fixes to any of the aforementioned issues, there might be hope after all, ha ha. And thanks for following this thread again, I know similar threads are all over the place.

~Josh
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Well I installed SP2 to give it another try and was able to make the canopies appear, but the DX10 preview just causes to many problems and I'm using XP so there is no way for me to disable the preview, :( Oh well. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for an FSX XP canopy fix, ha ha.

~Josh
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Josh,

You can disable the DirectX-10 preview. If you still have the SP-2 installation, check the graphics hardware settings tab.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Ya, I spent so much time researching that. I don't think my comp is set up for that. The box for me to check whether or not I want the DX10 preview isn't there. I run FSX and have an nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS if that helps. Everywhere I read that gave instructions on how to disable it said the same thing, and I couldn't find what they meant anywhere. Thanks for the idea though. If I could figure that out, I would do it, ha ha.

~Josh
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Josh,

Try to use FlusiFix. This is a "Swiss Knife" kind of tool for FS9 and FSX (two different versions!). One of the endless options is to enable and disable the Directx preview. Maybe it works for you. Or you just have a cool new tool :smt001
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Hmm...I get an unsafe download warning when I try to get it off their site...
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Sorry, I should have told you....

A good example how anti virus companies work. The prospeed.dll (an internal component of FlusiFix with which the AI traffic speed can be adjusted) has gotten onto the virus definition list as a false positive. And it was impossible to take it from there ever since. Be assured, this is save download. But downloading itself can be a challenge depending on your anti virus tool :wink:
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Thanks, it is now safely downloaded
rassy7
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rassy7 »

Great! I'll go give that a try. I really appreciate your offering new ideas to what has been an age-old problem for me, ha ha.

~Josh