Getting permission.

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Getting permission.

Post by garysted »

Gents,

A question I'd like to ask about editing paints and offering them to others. I don't know how to paint aircraft like others here, but using the simple MS paint tool I do frequently edit codes and serials on textures to give myself a selection of different airframes for a base that somebody may have just done a scenery of but isn't covered by MAIW. Or often a update from a existing pack. A example of this would be Nick's AI Typhoon, which I have edited for the new 6 Sqn markings and done a code/serial texture for every current airframe. I mainly did it for myself, but asked Nick if I could offer it on the forum to anybody who wants it and he kindly said yes - no problem there.

What has recently occured to me is that should I approach the texture painter instead or as well? In most cases they aren't the same person, and it is their texture work that I am copying and pasting from one file to another. Again, going back to the Typhoon, it looks like they were painted by Graham, who I must admit I never thought to contact, just Nick.

I realise it may seem a small oversight, but I have also edited a load of other textures (most other RAF Typhoons, current 111 Sqn F-3's, current RNoAF F-16's, current RNLAF F-16's for the Leeuwarden scenery and working on upto date BAF F-16's for the Florennes scenery). I would like to offer these out to whoever wants them but also want to be sure that I am doing the right thing, and be seen to be doing it. I know that MAIW takes this issue seriously so would welcome thoughts please.

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Getting permission.

Post by f4nutter »

most painter's including me would give permission to use there base textures if asked, a small mention in the read me goes a long way 8) Graham is a reasonable man and would help out if asked. if you are including the model then the model maker need's to be contacted. and dont forget Mike MacIntyre without whom most AI would not fly ? his FDE work goes without saying.
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

I have had trouble with this before. Firstly the quality of the paint degrades when you compile it a second time. Secondly your alterations might not mimmick exactly what I painted originally.

So this is what you have to do. Firstly blank out my name and website off the paint. Secondly leave my name out of it, if people do not know it was my original you altered I will not receive any compalints, the trouble I have had before. Lastly you cannot publish the paints outside of the MAIW forums.

Sorry to sound a bit unreasonable, it is purely to save me any grief.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Gary
Thank's for asking the question
And Graham
Thank's for addressing it and your post was perfectly reasonable.
I asked one of the MAIWers here in November '09 about repainting a CF188
He kindly fwded one of his paints and I cunningly proceeded to destroy it ,not knowing anything about layers .So I started again from the blank layer 1 and painted up an A/C and layer 1 WAS the one and only layer . Screwing around with compiling and checking results in FS ,soon ( maybe not so soon!!) made me realize a WIP file and a runitupandseeifitworks file was the way to go.So I thought,remember my idiotic question about a certain paintkit ? I'll echo your statement about pixel degredation in continuously compiling and undoing . Graham ,you took the time in what you said was a busy schedule to answer me as did Mike Macmagictyre.
Finally ,as I understand it. Gary is asking if permission is needed to add a layer to layers on a digital representation of a pixeled up digital representation of an A/C that had an actual paint scheme that someone else created and was then photographed and the researched pictures were used to manipulate the pixels in that representation.(?) When it comes down to it, NOT ONE paint scheme is public domain especially the special paints .Sadly neither is any logo that might be depicted on any building in FS.
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Gents,

Thanks for answering. I understand your reasoning Graham and why you would want any reference to you removed from the texture files, I hadn't thought of that till now but will do so in the future. I'm just a little shocked that anybody would actually complain about yours and others work that is afterall offered for download freely. That would annoy me as well. I wasn't aware that the quality of the files degrade, so will bear that in mind as well.

Thanks again gents.

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website