Alphasim 184th TFG F-4D 66-271 Repaint.....

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
Bone184

Alphasim 184th TFG F-4D 66-271 Repaint.....

Post by Bone184 »

I know this isn't AI but I did a retro repaint of the Alphasim's F-4D......

F-4D 66-271 served with the 184th TFG until it was retired from flying service on 30 March 1990. 66-271 Downed two Mig-21's while assigned to the 555th TFS/432nd TRW Udorn RTAFB, Thailand in July 1972 while crewed by Lt. Col. Carl Bailey & Capt. Jeffrey Feinstein. Following its duty in Vientam, 271 was assigned to various units in Taiwan, Florida and Minnesota, finally arriving to the 184th on 10 April 1984. For five years 271 trained numerous aircrews for the same mission it completed in Vietnam. While taking part in a training flight from Volk Field, WI on 20 July 1989, it flew its final tactical sortie. At some point during the mission, 271 suffered a cracked wing spar, damaged to such an extent that a less stout aircraft might not have been able to complete the flight. Following a one-way flight back to McConnell AFB, it was determined 271 was damaged beyond economical repair. The constant pounding of more than 5,200 Flight Hours had finally accomplished what the MIGs, SAMs, Triple A batteries and otherwise hostile enviroment over Vietnam could not. On 31 March 1990, F-4D 66-271 stood guard at the 184th TFG's Air Park as the last seven F-4D Phantom's departed for the Boneyard and the 184th converted to the F-16's.

On a personal note my father spent many hours loading munitions on the F-4D & F-16A,B,C,D's at the 184th. I spent many of days out back of his shop watching these aircraft in the pattern or on the flight line.

Please let me know what you think, I am no expert at repaints.....I wanted some of my Guard birds to fly so I created my own using some other repaints and MS Paint. I might consider releasing it once I get the ok from the other painters for their work I used. I might be trying to do a few more repaints of the 184th here in the near future. Would anyone like this to DL if I decide to make it available?
Angry_Anderson

Re: Alphasim 184th TFG F-4D 66-271 Repaint.....

Post by Angry_Anderson »

It looks good to me, from what I can see in one image. Unfortunately, I don't have that model (not yet, anyway).
Bone184

Post by Bone184 »

Here's 271 on a flight from McConnell AFB, Kansas en-route to Volk Field, Wisconsin.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by delbydoo »

Love it....colours look good; did you use the paint kit that came with set 1 or did you use your own?
Bone184

Post by Bone184 »

delbydoo wrote:Love it....colours look good; did you use the paint kit that came with set 1 or did you use your own?
I used a scan of my 1/48 Decal Set & used an existing repaint of a Euro Scheme I had in my collection.

I'm also going to attempt to do one in the 2 gray scheme & 1 in the SEA scheme.......
Mirage4FS
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Mirage4FS »

Bone184 wrote: I'm also going to attempt to do one in the 2 gray scheme & 1 in the SEA scheme.......
It looks great. They sure had guite a mix of schemes at McConnell on their F-4's.
Bone184

Post by Bone184 »

Mirage4FS wrote:
Bone184 wrote: I'm also going to attempt to do one in the 2 gray scheme & 1 in the SEA scheme.......
It looks great. They sure had guite a mix of schemes at McConnell on their F-4's.
They sure did, I can't get the tail band right....hopefully I can correct it shortly & release it here.
superheat11

Post by superheat11 »

Hi guys this is my first post since registering here a few minutes ago, just thought i'd put in my two cents, I photographed two F-4Ds from the Jayhawks at Carswell AFB sometime in the mid 80s that were in ADC grey and had full white ANG patches on the tail with the red and white JAYHAWKS marks on the tail and standard ADC stars and USAF markings, im wondering if you ever saw those planes out there? Your F-4D looks awsome.
Bone184

Post by Bone184 »

superheat11 wrote:Hi guys this is my first post since registering here a few minutes ago, just thought i'd put in my two cents, I photographed two F-4Ds from the Jayhawks at Carswell AFB sometime in the mid 80s that were in ADC grey and had full white ANG patches on the tail with the red and white JAYHAWKS marks on the tail and standard ADC stars and USAF markings, im wondering if you ever saw those planes out there? Your F-4D looks awsome.
The 184th had phantoms in every scheme. They were the training unit for all the phantom units besides the recce and weasel variants. It was a neat sight to see their flight-line.
ruggerfan
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by ruggerfan »

I would be interested in any ANG repaints, the older (60's-early 80's) the better. Especially interested in C-119, C-124, F-102, F-106, F-4, early C-130's F-100, F-101, F-104.

Best Regards, Larry
Larry
USAF Veteran
Air Transportation
"Life is like herding cats through a fish market."
Bone184

Post by Bone184 »

Sadly I don't have this repaint any more, my HD crashed...still building a computer piece by piece to run FS9 on again. Once I get back to the FS Skies I will start again as the AI Phantoms need company.