USAF ACC cuts air show support for 2012

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

USAF ACC cuts air show support for 2012

Post by Victory103 »

Not going to be the same air show season next year for the US.

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/go/article/v ... rt_in_2012

A-10 East/West
F-16 East/West
F-15E
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jetmax
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: USAF ACC cuts air show support for 2012

Post by jetmax »

Yep, I will miss the Mighty Strike Eagle Team.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Kinda figured this was coming.....

Gonna be different going forward boys, I fear the good days are behind us for a while, maybe never to return.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Welcome to the UK airshow world where the RAF cant even support there own shows!

They are very happy to do overseas shows though :D

Am I being cynical here :?:

Gary

Example
RAF Waddington last year
Last flight of the Nimrod R1 Tue/Wed Airshow Sat/Sunday What was wrong with either delaying the last flight or just one more?
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Unfortunately air shows are now even more at risk because of spiralling economic problems on a worldwide basis, but I think most of us saw this coming (over in the UK at least) when Mildenhall shut its doors for the last time in 2001; this was, at the time, based on operational reasons, which was certainly a valid reason, although I think we all knew that it would never come back, and other airshows have suitably followed, albeit not cancelled but certainly cut back almost to a point where there are now probably more vintage aircraft at the Waddington show, than UK and US participants put together :(
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

MIKE JG wrote:Kinda figured this was coming.....

Gonna be different going forward boys, I fear the good days are behind us for a while, maybe never to return.
It'll probably get worse....

Until the US Military starts running into a recuiting problem..then we'll likley see an increase in participation.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

Until the US Military starts running into a recuiting problem..then we'll likley see an increase in participation.
With this economy that's highly unlikely. I've been trying to get into OTS since 2009, but the standards now are so ridiculously high due to competition it's impossible for a "normal" person to get in. I had a 3.2GPA, extracuricular activities, perfect physical, good LORs, and ROTC experience yet I was still denied twice. I'll be trying again come this Summer though....

EDIT: Case in point

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/ ... ly-120411/

3,000 airmen leaving service early
By David Larter - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Dec 4, 2011 8:54:58 EST

The Air Force is cutting its enlisted force by 3,000 airmen through a combination of date-of-separation rollbacks and voluntary separation programs, according to Air Force personnel officials at the Pentagon.

In all, 2,200 airmen are being forced out through the date-of-separation rollback program announced in early November. The Air Force hopes to achieve the additional 800 cuts through voluntary programs.

Airmen in 67 Air Force Specialty Codes are eligible for the voluntary separations in one of several programs that are identical to those offered in fiscal 2010: limited active-duty service commitment waivers for up to two years of enlistment obligations, transfers to the Guard or Reserve through the Palace Chase program, and the “Blue to Green” transfer program to the Army.

The 800 airmen who volunteer to leave or retire will not be paid a financial incentive, personnel officials said.

Rollbacks
The Air Force is only about 100 airmen over its end-strength goals, or about .04 percent. But the 17-year high retention rate means it has to force turnover to keep its numbers down, personnel officials said.

That means bringing back DOS rollbacks, which will force out 2,200 airmen who are ineligible to re-enlist, have had their deployment eligibility affected or who already are planning to leave the service.

Airmen who have been tapped for a DOS rollback are being notified by their commanders and, in most cases, the commanders make the final call as to who is affected, according to an Air Force news release.

The program affects senior master sergeants and below with fewer than 14 years and more than 20 years of service as of next March 31. Airmen being cut early through the DOS rollback must separate or retire by that date.

Retirement-eligible airmen must submit their request though the Virtual Military Personnel Flight by Dec. 1.

Airmen with more than six years but less than 20 years on active duty who are being separated through the rollbacks are eligible for half separation pay, provided they make a three-year commitment to the Inactive Ready Reserve.

Those with at least 180 days in are eligible for 180 days of medical care for them and their families, and will be allowed to have an ID for base privileges for two years. GI Bill benefits will largely be unaffected, but some transferability benefits might be curtailed.

When the voluntary programs were offered last year, the most popular option was the commitment waiver. Among those who wanted to leave the service early, 339 applied and 117 were approved. For those who wanted to retire early, commitments were waived for all but 19 of 220 airmen who applied.

Sixty of the 87 airmen who applied for the Palace Chase transfer were approved. Only two airmen applied for the Blue to Green program, and both were denied.
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

I hear ya.

It was tough to get in during the late eighties....We cut about 200,000 in the early nineties...the late nineties the air force couldn't keep people...I'll be retired this June due to the coming cuts...

Jon
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Jon wrote:I hear ya.

It was tough to get in during the late eighties....We cut about 200,000 in the early nineties...the late nineties the air force couldn't keep people...I'll be retired this June due to the coming cuts...

Jon
I graduated from high school in 92' and was told at the time that short of graduating from the AFA, I had no shot at a pilot slot in the USAF.

My final year in college, the local ROTC commander visited our aviation fraternity to inform us that "it wasn't too late" if we all wanted to switch from civilian careers back to military careers.

Had I ignored all the "advice" I was given, I'd probably be an air force brat instead of a civilian pilot. :wallbash:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Jon wrote:I hear ya.

Jon
I saw the writing on the wall last year and punched (retired) while there were still some AF Civilain jobs left. Now I am just hoping I can survive the cuts to the Air Force Civilains. As of right now we think our career field is safe because we cut ourseleves to minimums a few years back. We will see.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/