Problem with new scenery on top of other 3rd party scenery

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Problem with new scenery on top of other 3rd party scenery

Post by RKE »

Hi all

In a moment of insanity, I thought I'd try and add the Changi Air Base East to Imaginesim's Singapore scenery for FS9. The background imagery already exist and it's a fairly simple layout with only a few objects needed, so I figured it shouldn't take too long. Well, several hours later and I'm stuck scratching my head. I can't for the life of me make the runways and taxiways appear over the (low res) background imagery that is part of the Imaginesim scenery.

I'm doing it as a new airport (WSS1), as the runway and airbase is exclusive to the RSAF, and it's easier to work with that way.

I first thought there might be some arcane exclusion going on, but if I add a library object it shows up just fine. Lengthening the runway makes it appear from under the photoreal background where the scenery meets the ocean, so it could be a layers thing. However, moving the scenery files to the Imaginesim Singapore scenery folder doesn't do much, and neither does creating a new scenery folder at a higher priority/layer. The last thing I tried, was adding 20 feet to the airport elevation, to see if that would make it appear as a molehill of sort, which didn't work either. Although it still parked my airplane 20 feet into the air :roll:

I've attached a screenshot to illustrate where the runway pops out under the background scenery. And this was with the elevation set to 20 feet above the elevation of the Singapore scenery.

Is it impossible to do at all (though I could have sworn I've seen it used elsewhere), or is there some far out trick for making it work? Obviously I'd ask at the Imaginesim forum, but they don't have one, and looking around it seems like emailing them is a waste of time as they never reply.
Attachments
SINoverunder.jpg
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Re: Problem with new scenery on top of other 3rd party scenery

Post by DaleRFU »

Sometimes if the background is a scenery object, it can be elevated slightly so that it overshadows the default FS ground.

I think that that may be right but hopefully someone with more knowledge will say something.

:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Problem with new scenery on top of other 3rd party scenery

Post by RKE »

Hm, that gives me an idea. My ADE9 version was woefully out of date and a recent update added the ability to do flattens in ADE9 (I remember reading about, but never thought to update ADE9 until now), so I'll give that a try.

Edit: It sort-of, kind-of, works. It'll be a bit of a hassle, but I'll give it a shot. I need to double-check something though, because I think the flatten file does something funky to the landclass that is provided by the Singapore scenery :lol: