Davis Monthan Tours

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Davis Monthan Tours

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Has anyone else been on the tour?
I found it very good as they take you through the base first & you can see loads and loads of A10`s, Some EC130`s & I was lucky enough to see an F117 on the ramp as well. The only thing I didn`t like was you had to run and nearly have a punch up to get on the bus as it was first come first serve, so you had a lot of people trying to get on it. It was worth loosing 2 teeth & the black eye though, LOL.
The Bone Yard, well that was awsome. So many aircraft in one place. That was one trip I will never forget.
The Pima air museum is well worth a visit as well.
All the above is highly recomended.

Dave Lock
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Re: Davis Monthan Tours

Post by mikewmac »

david lock wrote:Has anyone else been on the tour?
I found it very good as they take you through the base first & you can see loads and loads of A10`s, Some EC130`s & I was lucky enough to see an F117 on the ramp as well. The only thing I didn`t like was you had to run and nearly have a punch up to get on the bus as it was first come first serve, so you had a lot of people trying to get on it. It was worth loosing 2 teeth & the black eye though, LOL.
The Bone Yard, well that was awsome. So many aircraft in one place. That was one trip I will never forget.
The Pima air museum is well worth a visit as well.
All the above is highly recomended.

Dave Lock
Dave,

I never did the DM tour, but have been to AMARC and the Pima Air Museum several times when my work brought me to that area.

Mike
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Hi Mike, did you have to run for the bus as well?

dave
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

david lock wrote:Hi Mike, did you have to run for the bus as well?

dave
Dave,

No, I was able to drive myself around, but that was back in the days when we weren't quite so security conscious as today. :lol:

Mike
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I was at Fort Huachuca in the late '70s early '80s and drove up to DM on occasion as at the time Fort Huachuca had a very small post exchange. BX at DM was much larger. Anyway on one occasion I drove out to the east end of the field and into the 'bone yard' and drove up and down the rows for a couple of hours. You are right, back in those days, if you got on base, you got almost anywhere! Never wanted to go back to the bone yard tho. So many of my favorites about to get or had already gotten the knife. I know that many more were just in storage, but many getting whacked! Was very depressing. Pima Air Museum on the otherhand is the cat's meow! They had B-58, the a/c used as Presidential transportation before the Connie used by Eishenhower (DC-7 called Columbine I think - nice paint job when new, and was open for tour inside on occasion, early part of the day as it got too hot later on) and tons of other really great and rare stuff. It's worth taking a detour to visit. Come early in the year and early in the day. You can't really look things over carefully in a day, and most of the year it gets damn hot pretty early in the day. Some indoor exibits, but mostly out doors. Lots of film or memory cards etc, as appropriate.
flyingscotsman39
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by flyingscotsman39 »

I did the tour about 18 months ago. Quite amazing to see so many aircraft in one place.

While there also got the chance to get out and take some pictures on the LOLA and in the display by the main gate.

Oh and a few visits down town - Cactus Moon anyone?
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Is the Ranchhouse Bar still out on the west side along I-10, just outside city limits? UA coeds (for real!) dancing there to pay for school. OMG those were some fine looking hammers!