New National Geographic Pararescue Docu-miniseries

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

New National Geographic Pararescue Docu-miniseries

Post by reconmercs »

Its a new show called "Inside Combat Rescue", I saw the first episode this past Monday and I have a whole new level of respect for what these guys do :shock: Definitely worth checking out if your able to get Nat Geo, it airs on Mondays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3c0aoc_EQ
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: New National Geographic Pararescue Docu-miniseries

Post by MIKE JG »

And it was on again this past Wednesday night. Pretty intense to watch all that.

It's sad that they are using the PJ's like this as combat medivacs as opposed to what their true mission is. One of the guys on the show is on his 5th deployment and it sounds like his 6th is already being scheduled.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

MIKE JG wrote:And it was on again this past Wednesday night. Pretty intense to watch all that.

It's sad that they are using the PJ's like this as combat medivacs as opposed to what their true mission is. One of the guys on the show is on his 5th deployment and it sounds like his 6th is already being scheduled.
I work with the EQRS at Bagram back in 2009 and I can tell you that they didn't mind performing the Combat MEDEVAC role. Whenever a 9 line came in they were usually the first to volunteer. They would go in to areas the Army wouldn't (because the Army felt it was too dangerous)and saved a a lot of lives during the 7 months I was there.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

It's a good program to watch, but as a Medevac pilot it's not always my call to when I can go and when I can't, way up on the food chain to how much risk the overall commander wants to take. They occasionally do get true CSAR/PR missions, but for the most part, CASEVAC is better suited to the role. This is vastly different from OIF, where they would do CSAR alert and SOF support, we handled all medevacs.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Chris what are the two twin handles that come down from the overhead? I've seen these on Seakings as well. Are they power or condition levers by chance?
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Mike, there are actually 6 on the engine control quadrant. The inside longer levers are exactly that, power control levers which have 4 detents. Next are the fuel system selector levers and out front on the emergency engine off T-handles.

The USAF Pavehawks are set up completely different from Army -60's, so it's great to look in and see all cool bells/whistles they get. For those with the Alpha/Virtavia H-60, the cockpit is based off the Army HH-60Q/L.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Victory103 wrote:not always my call to when I can go and when I can't, way up on the food chain to how much risk the overall commander wants to take.
I think this was put to the test fully with the case of the two severely injured children, one of whom did not survive, after playing with a 203 round. The bosses categorically said it did not meet MEDROE conditions. And quite rightly I believe, one guy questioned this (albeit privately) due to the fact that it was a U.S. round that did the damage. It must hurt these guys immensely when that happens.