F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
fishlips

Re: F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

Post by fishlips »

Thanks for that Brian, I'm sure Kev appreciate your input.
I think the issues being experienced are not with the rotation but how to make the parts themselves as FSDS does not provide the range of tools for the shape as stock. The difficulty is getting the correct design in shape for all parts to align so they rotate smoothly together. :wink:
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

Yeah it helped.

The cuts aren't at 45 degrees, it makes it far too long.
They appear to be 22.5 degrees, which brings up an interesting point opposite to your explanation.

At 45 degrees a 90 degree rotation would be correct.
However a 22.5 degree cut requires a full 180 degree rotation..

Anyway my idea from the previous post worked!
I now have a nozzle that rotates without anything wacky going on. I was also able to animate it every 22.5 degrees (one face on a 16 sided cylinder) and keep things perfectly inline!

Have done a test in game look at it, and it works perfectly.
Just finishing up the animated feathers, outer ones done and working, just have to finish the inner ones. They only move +- 10 degrees, but they do work.

If I knew now to record it in game and embed into a post, I would.

One thing - heavy on polys, but will LOD down quite easily to 8 sided, 8 sided non animated, and finally 4 sided non animated.
Wouldn't even like to try 6 sided, but will see how things work out overall.
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Kev, you're right it. Sorry about that .Typo on my behalf ,as my head was still wrapped around the math :? . I meant 180 and not 90 degrees . To get a video into a post ,may I suggest shooting thesequence on the PC screen with a camera or smartphone .Works a charm .
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Kev,
I'm off to NZ for a few days. Really happy you got the nozzle design the way you wanted it and I sincerely hope very body appreciates the effort you have gone too to make this AI look the part. Just hope the rest of the aircraft lives up to your efforts placed into the nozzle.

Mike JG may be able to help with screen footage and upload to youtube but you may wish to keep the final stages of the model a surprise, or then again :wink:
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Email me everything as is stands (inc 3-views) and I will have a play while you're gone.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

I'll try and get it together, some inturnal parts are being developed in separate files. I'm pretty much on the move out the door at the moment. Early flight in the morning.

Kinda liked this pic. :wink:
F-35-Money-4-.jpg
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

fishlips wrote:I'll try and get it together, some inturnal parts are being developed in separate files. I'm pretty much on the move out the door at the moment. Early flight in the morning.

Kinda liked this pic. :wink:
F-35-Money-4-.jpg

hmmm...must be at idle power, with so little money flowing out.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

The monitory conversion rate for some countries involed must be a killer, good thing Oz its more bang for its US buck.

Kev, email sent, hope you can sort through my weird system of many diiferent drawings and photo overlays. Also there is some best guess from high res-photos been used.
If anything, at least we'll have a great looking F-35B rear nozzle :roll:
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

fishlips wrote:The monitory conversion rate for some countries involed must be a killer, good thing Oz its more bang for its US buck.

Kev, email sent, hope you can sort through my weird system of many diiferent drawings and photo overlays. Also there is some best guess from high res-photos been used.
If anything, at least we'll have a great looking F-35B rear nozzle :roll:
There's nothing like a good looking rear end :wink: Of course a delicate but nicely shaped undercarriage and an ample wingspan helps as well . Of course a small but nicely shaped wingspan would be Ok as IMHO there's nothing wrong with ANY wingspan :mrgreen: :smt004
On a serious side I'm glad you two are publically documenting this in this thread .
I'll post in a separate thread on the problems and whatever tips I've discovered when using 3 views and/or photos .
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

At a bit of a stand still with this.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

What are you stuck on mate? Whereabouts are you at with it?

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Nick,
Resting on top of a skinny fence wondering which way to let it fall.
cheer's,
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Start of the F-35B mapping. I'm separating the airframe to find the best result for painting.
1.jpg
2.jpg
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

Wow quality Mark, quality. ..
VIVA LA VIDA
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

That looks soooooooooooo sweet 8)
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

She will look nicer in the sim than in reality :smt002
Cool, Mark!
Cheers,
Martin

Post by fishlips »

You need to excuse my painting as I'm really not very good at it. I only have Photoshop and Illustrator to work textures in and its problematic not being able to see the model as you work on painting it.
I think this model may require 32 bit textures to keep the lines clean. This texture is just a test, like I do for all my models. I leave the real painting up to the people that can best do the job, repainters.
Cheer's,
Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Mark I think that nose part of the fuse you should map left and right because of details, like f-16.
VIVA LA VIDA
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Mark I think that nose part of the fuse you should map left and right because of details, like f-16.
Miljan,

I think your right there mate. Also there is some bleeding of warning signs around the forward upper intake door. That area goes a bit flat edged to map from the top. Going to be a bit of trial and error but I'm hoping to keep the map as simple with as less individual parts as possible to reduce draw calls. I've used Nick's F-22 texture as a basis for what I'm looking for but as this is a different model, some changes will need to be made like you mention around the cockpit to nose. I just hope I don't have to really take the cutting knife out as matching colours on this beast from one part to the next would be difficult for the layman painter like me. I made and learnt that mistake from my AI AIDC_AT3 model.
As well as FS9, I'll also be looking for someone to help me turn it into an FSX model for all to enjoy.
Cheer's,
Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

That looks excellent mate. Keep up the good work :)
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/