45(R) Sqn, RAF Cranwell

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

45(R) Sqn, RAF Cranwell

Post by Dinga69 »

Looking through my sim I noticed my RAF B200 still had civy reg's and were quite old. I know there's a few random skins kicking around for FS9, but no fleet, so decided to play around with the HTAI paintkit and model to see what it's like - very good!! So, am in the early stages of the B200 and the B200 GT - they have different schemes ie the red cheat line added to the GT's.Has anyone any experience with this paintkit, as the only thing I'm not sure of is the shadow layer - does it actually need it on a flying model?? It is very dark underneath, and can obviously be lightened by changing the opacity. So, now it's on to the research stage for each aircraft livery. Anyway, enough mouth and time for a preview!!

BTW - I know John Young has a model but it's FSX, so these will be for FS9 use!
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: 45(R) Sqn, RAF Cranwell

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Don't know if this helps, but here's what Scramble have on their database;

ZK450 J Beech B200 BB-1829 45(R)sq Active jan06 apr13 G-RAFJ

ZK451 K Beech B200 BB-1830 45(R)sq Active jan06 may13 G-RAFK

ZK452 L Beech B200 BB-1832 45(R)sq Active dec05 may13 G-RAFL

ZK453 M Beech B200 BB-1833 45(R)sq Active jan06 mar13 G-RAFM

ZK454 N Beech B200 BB-1835 45(R)sq Active dec05 may13 G-RAFN

ZK455 O Beech B200 BB-1836 45(R)sq Active nov10 jun13 G-RAFO

ZK456 P Beech B200 BB-1837 45(R)sq Active nov10 apr13 G-RAFP

ZK458 D Beech B200GT BY-32 45(R)sq Active may10 may13 G-RAFD

ZK459 X Beech B200GT BY-36 45(R)sq Active may10 jun13 G-RAFX

ZK460 U Beech B200GT BY-90 45(R)sq Active jul10 jun13 G-RAFU
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Cheers for that Stewart - I use a different source (On Dutch Wings; Daryl kindly nudged me that way ), but the more sources the better! I try to check each serial against a recent search on Flickr as so many enthusiasts post their pictures there. Each aircraft seems to have a name too, so these will be added where possible too!
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Kev, I've used it a couple of times and found that it's better to just reduce the opacity on the shadows; I agree it's a little too dark, but the shadowing does give the aircraft a bit of depth, and makes it look like a plane rather than a flying picture. Looking good mate, need to update these so looking forward to dropping them in.
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Thanks Daryl, will do some experimenting - got a couple of base layer paints made c/w serials and names - ready for layering with details and shadows. The details need bits and bobs chopped and moved, but noy much. They're starting to look the part. I do like the GT colour scheme!!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Dinga, you mentioned a JY model for FSX? Info?

Where is the HTAI B200 paint kit, might have a go at my unit's 300s.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

HTAI paintkits here: http://htai-models.com/downloads.html

John's B200 model available in the AI section of ACG (Airfield Construction Group) forums
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Think all done unless anyone can spot any glaring mistakes - i've been back to the drawing board a couple of times with this one!! There's a couple of specials in here - nothing extreme, just stickers, but enough to give a little variety. Took Daryl's advice and added the shadows after a bit of tweaking and taking the opacity well down. Also added an alpha to give a bit of extra gloss! Keith's Cranwell looks great with these since retiring the Doms and Jetstreams. MAIW Tutors and a whole squadron of these brings the place back to life! I've butchered Daryl's Jetstream Traffic file purely for personal use to get these beasties flying around. Should be packaged and up on Avsim in next couple of days.

delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Kev, if you wanna include the FP's in the upload, be my guest. I've found that people appreciate you more if you include FP's - not always possible, I know, but when you can......can!

Very nice by the way :smt023

Just a small observation - you may want to think about bringing the alpha channel down a bit, it looks a little too shiny; just my opinion mate, ultimately it's your paint. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it. :wink:
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Thanks very much Daryl - will credit you in the readme!! All I've done is change the aircraft names and the reg's in the plan.Will try toning it down a bit, do I go darker or lighter with the grey? I assume lighter, as an all white alpha gives no gloss. I could've lied, and said it was a concourse model :lol: I'm open to constructive criticism as it's the only way to get better!!
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Dinga69 wrote:Thanks very much Daryl - will credit you in the readme!! All I've done is change the aircraft names and the reg's in the plan.Will try toning it down a bit, do I go darker or lighter with the grey? I assume lighter, as an all white alpha gives no gloss. I could've lied, and said it was a concourse model :lol: I'm open to constructive criticism as it's the only way to get better!!
No worries mate - I know some people who can get quite touchy that you've spotted a wonky pixel, but like you say, constructive is always welcome.

You're right - in FS9, white represents no shine, black equals chrome! It's just a question of wiggling it a bit to find what looks right. Try going down about ten shades lighter on the greyscale and then take it from there.
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Have done that and have to say looks better - I've darkened it for the chrome bits and bobs. The rivets and panel lines are all there, just really light as they're hardly visible on HiRes photo's of the real thing too. I'll check it all out in the sim later as FS repaint sometimes is too bright, despite messing with the sliders. All advice is welcome :D
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Few bugfixes, and alpha toned down as recommended - up on Avsim:
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=178463