Machyllneth Loop Area ??

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Machyllneth Loop Area ??

Post by MIKE JG »

All I can say about this photo is :shock:

Screaming Eagle

One of the sweetest shots I've ever seen. Anyways do any of you local Brits know where this area (Machyllneth Loop) is and if so could you show me on a map or something. I'd like to check it out in FS to see if it's any fun.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

This is a good link for that UK stuff..
http://www.lowfly.net/
Maps and all!

Barry
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

The Machynlleth Loop is an area of west Wales which has become popular for military low flying and an anti-clockwise flow system was put in force to prevent "head to heads". It's become a favourite spot for aircraft photographers, although it's a bit of a hike to the best vantage points.

Military helicopters are allowed to go against the flow as long as they remain below 200 ft agl, which I admit is great sport and takes a bit of nerve, especially as the fixed wing pilots can get a tad 'sporty'.

I've flown the loop a number of times but never had the opportunity to take any photographs (for obvious reasons), neither have I knowingly had any pics taken of me! :lol:

Mike, when I get back to work I'll look up the exact location and pass on the details.

Cary
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Post by Stewart Pearson »

If you like seeing the low level stuff, visit my mates site;

http://www.ronaldrichardsonphotography. ... e&Itemid=1

Ron is a cop in the Scottish Borders and has a great eye for taking pics.

His images have been used by numerous publications here in the UK and he is also regularly requested by Squadrons to do "set-up" shots for them.

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

That photo is awesome. I was rock climbing in the Lake District some time ago and a Tornado came around the corner below me, at about that same angle and Im sure nearly clipped me with the top of his tail as he swung past. One of the most amazing sites Ive ever witnessed. The shock nearly knocked me off the rocks though.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
Tweek
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Tweek »

nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Yeh thats about right!!!!!! :lol:

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

8) 8) Far and away the best UK low level website, ignore Lowfly.net, it's rubbish in comparison.
Ron is a cop in the Scottish Borders and has a great eye for taking pics.
Know Ron very well, he's a great chap.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Wow, thanks for the links fellas. That's some cool stuff. Nick I can't imagine the surprise while climbing the side of a rock face to have a Tornado come roaring by, very cool. I hope you were roped off so as not to fall too far!
-Mike G.

CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

Mike,

Isn't it always the way? I'm in work and have the details, but the MoD system won't let me access the map sites. However, I can tell you that the Loop follows the road NE out of Machynlleth, continues following it NE towards Dolgellau and then again southwards back to Machynlleth. :D

Now I challenge you to pronounce the names! I hope you enjoy flying the Machynlleth Loop.

Regards
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I won't even try to pronounce that. I spent some time in Wales back in 2000 on holiday and it was interesting seeing the signs that had both languages on them. Actually we got stuck for a day in Swansee after missing the last train to the ferry port. Very nice area, wish we could have spent more time there.
-Mike G.