Jags due to retire on 25th May

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Jags due to retire on 25th May

Post by nickblack423 »

The Jaguar Force is due to retire from RAF service now on 25th May 2007. This is 6 months earlier than was previously forecasted. This means extra money and space for 11 Sqn's build up to continue in ernest.

Bye bye Jags. Cant say Im sad though really, they are a pain in the arse to deploy, take too much kit.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
Tweek
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Tweek »

Reports elsewhere suggest it's as early as 30th April...

Any confirmation?
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

30th April is when they stop flying. Its confirmed they will disband on 25th May. They were originally going to put a Typhoon into 6 Sqn colours and have a pilot, thus keeping the active service of the Squadron alive, cos its the longest unbroken service of any sqn. But thats gonna go out the window now.

Nick
Last edited by nickblack423 on 25 Apr 2007, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.
Tweek
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Tweek »

I take it that's when they'll cease flying then?
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

We need to get the jags out before we have to delete them (retro) :lol:

Gary
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

They're on their way matey,
Just the last few bits of the scenery coming now.

Nick
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

They've started moving Jags out of storage here. I watched one being hauled out on a low-loader this morning, and a two seater being towed across to have it's wing removed this afternoon.

They were great planes in their day, but their day has passed. I hope that there will be plenty preserved in museums and even in flying state. And let's not forget that they aren't retro yet, they're still in service in some numbers, particularly in India.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

Ten of them are currently a lot further north having flown to RAF Lossiemouth today!
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Savage wrote:Ten of them are currently a lot further north having flown to RAF Lossiemouth today!
The farewell tour?
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

CelticWarrior wrote:
Savage wrote:Ten of them are currently a lot further north having flown to RAF Lossiemouth today!
The farewell tour?
It looks that way. Have been told they are night stopping to bid farewell to an old base and may well be flying over several bases come tomorrow enroute back to CBY. Must be a wonderful sight, shame I can't see it. :(

Routine flying will end come the 30th, only non operational flying (storage, flypasts etc) will happen from then, and of course that doesn't make for much!
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Savage wrote:only non operational flying (storage, flypasts etc) will happen from then, and of course that doesn't make for much!
I look forward to being put into the hold to wait while they do the inevitable flypasts when they come here to be put into storage. Having said that, the SHARs were a bit of an anticlimax. We all expected some disruption and as it turned out there was no flypast.

Last month I watched as the last Canberras being chopped up and there has been a stream of F3s stumbling in.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Apparently you can buy one already see here.
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

They are planning a twelve ship at Coningsby on Monday, I'd go but I'm already commited to going to a base a lot further north, in Scotland...
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

A flypast by 13 Jaguars is taking place overhead RAF Shawbury at 1328Z today.

I wish I'd brought my camera in today.

Edited to add - for probably the first time in their career they were early! By 7 minutes.
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

luvvvvly sight :)

http://www.airfighters.com/photo_1381.details.large

shame to see em go though!

Dunc
Regards,
Dunc
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

Was lucky enough to be at Coningsby yesterday...

Sad, but a fitting tribute. At least it's not all over just yet.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

CelticWarrior wrote:They've started moving Jags out of storage here. I watched one being hauled out on a low-loader this morning, and a two seater being towed across to have it's wing removed this afternoon.
Hi, at what base is the wing clipping taking place? I hear some are being sent to Bentwaters for scrapping. Anyone confirm that?

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

Disbandment is now set for 31st May.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

VulcanDriver wrote:Hi, at what base is the wing clipping taking place? I hear some are being sent to Bentwaters for scrapping. Anyone confirm that?

John
Shawbury is the UK military aircraft storage facility, they don't often break the aircraft up here, but in the case of the Canberras it was. The Jags seem to be getting shipped somewhere, I have no idea where, sorry.

Cary
Tweek
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Tweek »

CelticWarrior wrote:
VulcanDriver wrote:Hi, at what base is the wing clipping taking place? I hear some are being sent to Bentwaters for scrapping. Anyone confirm that?

John
Shawbury is the UK military aircraft storage facility, they don't often break the aircraft up here, but in the case of the Canberras it was. The Jags seem to be getting shipped somewhere, I have no idea where, sorry.

Cary
They'll be flying to RAF Cosford for storage (perhaps for ground instructional use?). The majority will head there on the 31st May, I believe, the day of the 6 Squadron disbandment.