Instant Scenery V3

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Sophie_Westenra
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Re: Instant Scenery V3

Post by Sophie_Westenra »

Would a separate small Texture file for canopies have an undue effect ?
Yes, every extra texture sheet has a compiling effect as it needs to load in the simulator as a draw call but for AI aircraft, the canopy texture sheet in pixel size can be very small and you can add that to the main FS texture folder to reduce duplication in the aircraft texture folder. You probably already have several of them already in your folder from various AI aircraft developers as this was once common practice.
The loss is minimal depending on the size of the sheet being used. A number of very well known AI Aircraft groups have long used two daylight texture sheets without any noticeable loss. You will have noticed perhaps that some AI groups prefer to provide their models with and without reflection, reflections require a lot of graphic memory to produce and can cause lag on your system, this is why reflection is the first thing you notice in the simulator to disappear "like a lod" on a model.

In the case of secondary AI texture sheets, many developers use the second sheet for common painted parts like wheels, undercarriage, painted windscreens, valves, exhaust outlets, etc. These are all parts that do not require further painting, no matter what the main paint scheme is. Again, that common texture sheet can be added to the main FS texture folder if desired with no impact loading effect.

Sophie
INTEL i7 4930K 3.40Ghz 12meg CACHE CPU 2011
64gig DDR3-1600 memory
INTEL X79 Chipset, GBlan, SATA-3 RAID, nVidia GTX780 x2 in SLi, DirectX 11 video card
S/Blaster ZX Audio
512g SSD HDD, 8TB RAID0 STRIPE HardDrive 4 x 2TB HDDs
Triple 27" HDMI montors
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The only reason I would use a separate sheet for the canopy frame + Perspex is because it's unique to that aircraft and it's not practical to use a small plain square on the main sheet for each. Since canopy frames and Perspex are usually separate parts, (double sided material), they result in a draw call each anyway, even if the main texture sheet is used. The only real penalty (I think) is the loading of a small texture which is peanuts. I don't really like burying one-off textures in the main texture folder. They are more difficult to keep track of and I can't see the benefit if they are unique.

Here's the Sea Vixen example:

I'm still learning with AI. Is this not an appropriate way to make canopy textures?

John
Sophie_Westenra
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Sophie_Westenra »

John,
If it's a one off and you can't find room on the main texture sheet then by all means a second small texture is the way to proceed. Much of what we do is personal choice and in saying that their is no right or wrong in that regard.
Most people I think like to have all there bits and peices kept together in the one folder as much as possible, I know I do.
Sophie
INTEL i7 4930K 3.40Ghz 12meg CACHE CPU 2011
64gig DDR3-1600 memory
INTEL X79 Chipset, GBlan, SATA-3 RAID, nVidia GTX780 x2 in SLi, DirectX 11 video card
S/Blaster ZX Audio
512g SSD HDD, 8TB RAID0 STRIPE HardDrive 4 x 2TB HDDs
Triple 27" HDMI montors
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

John and Sophie ,thank's for your input and advice .I think I'll be going with a small canopy-glass texture and stay away from 'reflections'.