The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Century Series (American Heavy Metal)

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
akrite
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: Century Series (American Heavy Metal)

Post by akrite »

Mike, really great work, will there be any model with Shrike missiles or Europe-based colors ? I wish I could load all(!) of your acft ! Many thanks for spending your time !
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Didn't quite finish this up in time for Christmas morning, but should get it published by the weekend. Here is a taste of the 250+ paints I am into this project so far, and should answer one of two of Andreas' questions.......

Merry Christmas to all.

:smt114
Attachments
jmai_f105d_hill_afb.jpg
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Don H »

And a Merry Christmas to you, Mike. Enjoy the day with your family. We can wait.

Looking good, definitely looking forward to these. :smt007

I was based at George AFB, in Victorville, Ca. We had the F-4C/Ds on my first posting there in '69-70, before going to Kadena AFB on Okinawa for 18months. We had a lot of TDY aircraft and crews from Davis Monthan flying the Thuds. They would come to use our bombing/gunnery range at Cuddeback. When I came back after my overseas stint, '72-73, we had the F-4Es, and more F-105s came from DM, and some from Hill, on occasion. I worked in the bomb dump, and did flightline delivery, so was around them quit a bit. Enjoyed my time there very much.
Don H
Hubb_FINK
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Hubb_FINK »

Hey Don H

You might be the perfect guy to ask this question. I have heard that the 105's were specifically difficult to fly. In other words there wasn't a gray area with in the flight envelope. Someone I knew a long time ago flew them in Asia in the 60's 70's. And I remember discussion about how the pilot really had to pay attention to this particular jet. No room for error and that sort of thing. Do you know if the 105's truly had this reputation?
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

Hi Mike,

I noticed that some of the TF102s were not parking where I expected them to and on checking I found that the model and parking radius for the TF-102A_XX_Tanks is 20m whilst all others appear to be set at 11m - not a major problem to adjust parking to 20m for these but I thought this might be useful for anyone else who has been puzzled by this.

Many thanks for all the great work you are doing; I am really enjoying filling the retro skies with your models. Happy Christmas and very best wishes for the new year.

Geoff
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Don H »

Hubb_FINK wrote:Hey Don H

You might be the perfect guy to ask this question. I have heard that the 105's were specifically difficult to fly. In other words there wasn't a gray area with in the flight envelope. Someone I knew a long time ago flew them in Asia in the 60's 70's. And I remember discussion about how the pilot really had to pay attention to this particular jet. No room for error and that sort of thing. Do you know if the 105's truly had this reputation?
Hubb, Actually, no, I don't. I didn't get to talk to any of the crew chiefs or pilots, surprisingly. And since the base I was at was for F-4 training, that wouldn't have been widely known there. The 105 groups stayed in their own section when they visited. All I did was deliver ordinance to a holding point in their parking area, then left. If I did talk to anyone, it was the armorers who would load the ordinance.

What I do remember about them is that they were big, and used the whole runway when taking off loaded. And, they had a different sound from the F-4s.

There are a few guys over at the Sim OutHouse forums who were much more familiar with the 105s would could answer your question much better than I can.
Don H
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

This is why it's going slower than expected..... 51 models, 261 paints, but everthing is done, this goes to AVSIM this afternoon.....

This is part 1 of 2....

:smt004
Attachments
jmai_f105_traffic11.jpg
jmai_f105_traffic12.jpg
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

..... and part 2 of 2....... :smt004
Attachments
jmai_f105_traffic21.jpg
jmai_f105_traffic22.jpg
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Thanks Mike! Just saw it on AVSIM
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
HorusJ
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by HorusJ »

WOW! Understandably why it has been slow going but VERY rewarding! Great work as always.
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

This has been a good year for modeling. I just tallied up the new models I have released this year, not counting what was already in-progress (Mirage III/5, F-5E/F, Skyhawk); and the total count is twelve new models for 2013. I am going to make it a baker's dozen now, with the release of this next part of the Century Series........ Who said thirteen is an unlucky number?

Happy New Year, more to follow.

Attachments
mpai_f101_traffic1.jpg
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

This is the F-101 Voodoo, 20 models and 69 repaints, covers the career of the aircraft in three different air forces.
Attachments
mpai_f101_traffic2.jpg
mpai_f101_traffic3.jpg
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Great way to see 2013 out Mike thank you. :D
Mark
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

It just went to AVSIM, should be available before midnight across the pond......
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

Downloaded! Sweet! 8)
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

This has been an incredible year for retro AI. Thank you Mike!

Keith
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Don H »

Fantastic, Mike!! Happy New Year!!

This just about closes out the "Century Series" of USAF aircraft, except for the 1st one! I seem to recall the F-100 was also in the queue??
The F-4 Phantom II was originally designated the F-110, as I recall, but was changed to F-4 before it went into service. As that is already done... :smt003

Either way, a fantastic year, and the Thanks are well deserved. :smt041
Don H
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

The Hun is up next, just getting a gentle re-work of Jake's source model and making the two-seater, and I should have some screenshots up by next week or so.

Sonarboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sonarboy »

Many thanks for all the long hours and commitment to producing some terrific models Mike.

We appreciate all that you have achieved in helping to create the wonderful world of Retro.

Brian

:D :D :D
supernova48
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by supernova48 »

Mike, thanks for all your hard work with the Century Series. As an Air Force Brat growing up on the 60's, very familiar with all these aircraft. I was just watching some B-52D's and some 13th FIS F-101's beat the pattern at Glasgow AFB. Just need to add some KC-135A's.

Thanks again!!