Blurry Textures

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
lillaz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Blurry Textures

Post by lillaz »

Howdy,

Ive tried to rectify this problem for awhile before coming to the forms with it. I will take a "paint kit" and design my paint scheme, after the designing process I save the "PSD" file as a 32Bit BMP. After that I open "DXTBmp" program and save it as a "Extended Bitmap" and I make the "Save as type" selection a "DXT1 (no alpha)". After those steps I come out with this blurry product. Can anyone offer thier expertise?

Using:
FS9
Adobe Photoshop CS4
DXTBmp
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Blurry Textures

Post by JohnTenn »

Hi

I am no expert.

I have improved the look of many AI textures saved as dxt3 with no Alpha.

I have read that DxtBmp1 does not transform textures as well as Image tool which comes with the SDK packs.

Suggestion:

Use DXTBmp1 to add a plain white alpha Channel to the 32bit texture.

Open the new texture with Image tool and change the bitmap to dxt3, the alpha channel should remain in place.

Another program DxtFixer adds Plain white alpha channels to Dxt3 textures in your aircraft folder.

I hope this is of some help.

John
lillaz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lillaz »

JohnTenn wrote:Hi

I am no expert.

I have improved the look of many AI textures saved as dxt3 with no Alpha.

I have read that DxtBmp1 does not transform textures as well as Image tool which comes with the SDK packs.

Suggestion:

Use DXTBmp1 to add a plain white alpha Channel to the 32bit texture.

Open the new texture with Image tool and change the bitmap to dxt3, the alpha channel should remain in place.

Another program DxtFixer adds Plain white alpha channels to Dxt3 textures in your aircraft folder.

I hope this is of some help.

John
Hello John, I appreciate the assistance, some of what your saying is over my skill level I.e. Adding an alpha channel. I've never added one before.
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by JohnTenn »

Hi again.

We are never too old to learn. Myself included.

DxtBmp has a menu that says alpha.

An alpha channel is basically a white or black sheet whit combinations of the black or white to create white opaque or black fully transparent.

What I did the first time to get an Alpha channel was to use DXTbmp and open a texture.

Load a texture with an alpha channel. (original textures of the aircraft should have)

In DxtBmp, use the Alpha menu.

Use export Alpha. This takes the white texture (Alpha) out, and you can save it in a folder.

Open your texture that you want to have an Alpha channel.

Use the import alpha option, then select your desired alpha bitmap.

Click on refresh Alpha to fix it to your work.

Save your work as Targa with alpha.

Open the targa with alpha with Imagetool and save as Dxt3.

Dxt3 works better on aircraft.

Hopefully of more use.

John
lillaz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lillaz »

JohnTenn wrote:Hi again.

We are never too old to learn. Myself included.

DxtBmp has a menu that says alpha.

An alpha channel is basically a white or black sheet whit combinations of the black or white to create white opaque or black fully transparent.

What I did the first time to get an Alpha channel was to use DXTbmp and open a texture.

Load a texture with an alpha channel. (original textures of the aircraft should have)

In DxtBmp, use the Alpha menu.

Use export Alpha. This takes the white texture (Alpha) out, and you can save it in a folder.

Open your texture that you want to have an Alpha channel.

Use the import alpha option, then select your desired alpha bitmap.

Click on refresh Alpha to fix it to your work.

Save your work as Targa with alpha.

Open the targa with alpha with Imagetool and save as Dxt3.

Dxt3 works better on aircraft.

Hopefully of more use.

John

I am going to download "image tool" and try it out. Im trying to get the hang out it so I can start giving back to the flightsim community.