AI BlackHawk

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: AI BlackHawk

Post by John Young »

Jake, what length of runway are you using and does it differ much from the advice given in the manual and at the top of the aircraft.cfg file?

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Also, what type FPs are you using aerogator? VFR or IFR? I have been conducting extensive short field TNG FP tesing on the FS9 version with VFR flight plans (I know the readme says not to use VFR but when have I ever followed instructions) and I am not seeing that behavior.

I made these two short videos of the model perfoming VFR TNGs on short fields:

845 foot runway with a 500 foot pattern altitude:
Image (click for video)

948 foot runway with a 1,000 foot pattern altitude:
Image (click for video)

Excuse the bad resolution and frame rate chop. These were just for test purposes and I had way too much running on my laptop for good frame rates.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Well John, you've got me. Of course I just opened the box, pulled out the toy and started playing with it.
I will go back and read the instructions but in the meantime to answer your question, I'm using the stock runway for MAIW Eglin and it's pretty long, 10024' to be exact and 300' wide (rwy 19). Another thing I was doing wrong was using VFR FP.

I'm going now follow my own advice: "When all else fails, read the directions" :oops:
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

:shock: Click, those look great. Have you done any full stop testing. And what is the Navy scenery you are using? :)
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The second video is JMSDF Tateyama.

Full stop works great... except for one weird event where the helicopter touched down, full stop, turned 180 degrees and back taxied up the runway.. But I'm sure that was a scenery issue.

I had one more video I did, this time on a 2,000ft runway:

Image (click for video)

You can see slightly more nose up attitude at touch down than on the 900 foot runways, but still well withing acceptable and realistic motion for a roll on landing. There are some 4,000 and 5,000 foot runways in the sim I can put them on and test this evening.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Agree on the attitude, even Jake's pic is not that far of a normal landing. We would do roll-ons below 60kts (Army flight manual limitation) and 45kts (due to tailwheel location) for the USN/Jayhawks, so the current nose attitude is about right, heck the whole model is already cool enough!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
ahs06
Captain
Captain

Post by ahs06 »

The nose high landing isn't out of the norm. Here's a video I shot a few years back of a UH-60 doing a stop and go at RTS (4SD) https://youtu.be/iPn8PfpHpNs
"No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind"-C Ritzer
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Tried a repaint with DXTBitmap. but it didn't work for some reason. Followed the directions about flipping the image and alpha channel from earlier posts, but it was a no show. Can someone be specific on EXACTLY what to do to make it work. I made the correct tail codes and saved them in DXT5, but, no go. Anyone for painting a 39th RQS PaveHawk outta Patrick AFB?

Outstanding work!

Reggie
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Reggie wrote:Anyone for painting a 39th RQS PaveHawk outta Patrick AFB?
Every single Pavehawk in service has been done in FS9 and FSX complete with flightplans and will be released once the model is released.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

:smt023
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

ahs06 wrote:The nose high landing isn't out of the norm. Here's a video I shot a few years back of a UH-60 doing a stop and go at RTS (4SD) https://youtu.be/iPn8PfpHpNs
That was quite a beautiful landing. I'd almost expected to see it takeoff with a large snake hanging from its talons.

And for the Navy Hawk fans -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3VAvWTt4Tg

I was the Helo Control Officer on my last ship so mostly saw these guys at eye level when hovering in front of my tower above the flight deck.

Keith
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Here we go, long runway testing:

8686 foot runway with a 1,000 foot pattern altitude

IFR Full Stop Landing

VFR TNG

VFR Full Stop Landing

Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

I have over half of the Coastie Jays painted and numbered, and working on flight plans for each of the eight CGAS.
I'm actually gonna have to go to work for a few hours a couple days this week :smt088 , but should have all 41 painted before the weekend.
FPs a bit longer.
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Very useful tests Click, thank you.

Joe, well done with the CG repaints, but don't rush. I've nearly finished the US Customs and Border Control model, but still have the Firehawk to do. I'm keeping a list of the minor changes reported so far and I'll deal with those in one go after that.

John
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Woogey »

Hey Guys, some brief Experimentation at KGRF, Thank you John for all your hard work! Will sort out the Parking arrangements in more detail later. Screen shot made possible by Ripcord and Woog. This is in Prepar3d 2.5
2015-7-14_0-58-9-929.jpg
2015-7-14_0-59-17-478.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's another very good test Woogey, thank you. Does all the animation work too?

Meanwhile, here's the US Customs & Border Protection model. First shot is FS9, second is FSX:

One more model to go - Firehawk ..............

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

On the vid posted by ahs06, they are doing a roll-on landing with aero-braking. These are done in training simulating a tail rotor malfunction or single engine/high gross weight landing where one doesn’t have the power to hover. Again training mostly, so the current AI landing looks good to me, but I did see the nose up attitude on "click's" vids with the Jayhawks. The USN models have a "stinger" on the end of the tailboom for that reason. The AI take-off was expected and works for the pattern. In the Army, a very nose low take off is called a “Cav take off”, generally 10+ degrees nose down. In the Navy, a similar take off would be about 9 degrees nose down. Most take offs are in the 2-5 degree range. Hover attitude is nose up, left wheel down for all models. I was testing another flyable model and could not keep up with AI Marine 1, but normal planned cruise is 120kts. I noticed the decel on final which should keep AI traffic flow normal. Nice USMC pilot models by the way.

In FSX testing at Crail, I only noticed the model shadow showed a solid rotor disk, I can live with it. Are the stabilators animated? I need to still test the MH-60R animations as well.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

Here is another picture of a MH-60S in with and red camo

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/161062 ... 0A/165755/