Air Force ... ?

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Air Force ... ?

Post by sprocky »

Hi,

I was in Stuttgart EDDS this week and saw a Boeing 747 in all white there with the title "United States of America" above the windows. Could not get close enough to see the reg. Any idea which it could be ? Was looking at airliners.net but could not find a photograph. As far as I know the American Ministry of Defense Mr. Gates used this a/c to get there.

Thanks
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Hi SMOC,

it is definetly the right type. Thanks. But as far as I remember it was all white (no blue stripe along the window line). Do I remember wrong ? :?:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

sprocky wrote:Hi SMOC,

it is definetly the right type. Thanks. But as far as I remember it was all white (no blue stripe along the window line). Do I remember wrong ? :?:
All white, that was NAOC (National Airborne Operations Center) I saw on the news that the SECDEF has been traveling over in the SWA AOR. I'm betting they are supporting him.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Thanks, jetmax. But no pic on airliners.net available yet. I wish I had my camera with me that day. :cry:
Jan
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

sprocky wrote:Thanks, jetmax. But no pic on airliners.net available yet. I wish I had my camera with me that day. :cry:
Sprocky, the NAOC is the E-4B. I've not seen an all white paint scheme for her however. I'm not sure of another 747 airframe(aside from AF1) in the USAF inventory so it makes it probable you saw an E-4B... perhaps with a new or different paint scheme.
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

SMOC,

probably my eyes were tired that day :wink:
Jan