The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

JYAI P-8 Poseidon and B-737 AEW&C

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Re: P-3 Orion on the way out, need the P-8

Post by Garysb »

Woogey wrote:
Firebird wrote:
I assume they will have a RAF refuelling probe fitted at the Boeing facility at Lossiemouth. JY may want have that in preparation. I'm guessing the RAF will reactivate one of the Kinloss Squadrons.
Hey Firebird,

The RAAF and RAF P-8's are identical to the US Navy versions. The English models will NOT get refueling probes the way previous Boeing birds have. The reason for this is fleet commonality between level 1 allies. The is no tighter bond than that of the US, England, and Australia. You may look at the C-17 as an example. Any airframe in the fleet can be swapped between these countries without any need for crosstraining, certification, or logistical changes.

-Woog
Lead Manufacturing Mechanic
BCA Renton,WA

We may need a boom equipped voyager then ?

Cheers

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Garysb wrote:We may need a boom equipped voyager then ?

Cheers

Gary

You've been outplayed by the RAAF. :lol:
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Re: JYAI P-8 Poseidon and B-737 AEW&C

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Latest callsign updates;

POSEIDONS:

USN:
VP-5: MAD FOX, CARDFILE, NAVY LA***
VP-8: TIGER, NAVY LC***
VP-10: LANCER, NAVY LD***
VP-16: TALON, GRIFFIN, NAVY LF***
VP-26: TRIDENT, NAVY LK***
VP-30: PRO, NAVY LL***
VP-45: PELICAN, GOLDFINCH, NAVY LN***
VX-1: NAVY JA***
VX-20: RICARDO, SCORE

RAAF:
11 Sqn: SHEPHERD

Indian Navy:
INDIAN NAVY

WEDGETAILS

RAAF (Wedgetails):
2 Sqn: MAGPIE, OUTBACK, TORCH, WEDGETAIL, MITCHELL

Turkey (Peace Eagle):
131 Filo: DRAGON

ROK (Peace Eye)
The 51st Air Control Group: PEACE EAGLE
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The Indian Navy aircraft have been initially allocated to INAS 312-A squadron alongside the Tu-95s of INAS 312.
I believe that the plan is for the sqn to operate 8x P-8s and 8x Tu-95s until the additional 4 aircraft arrive then the Tu-95s will be retired.
The nickname for 312 is the Albatross so I am thinking its not difficult to imagine what they may get as a callsign.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Woogey wrote:Hey Firebird,

The RAAF and RAF P-8's are identical to the US Navy versions. The English models will NOT get refueling probes the way previous Boeing birds have. The reason for this is fleet commonality between level 1 allies. The is no tighter bond than that of the US, England, and Australia. You may look at the C-17 as an example. Any airframe in the fleet can be swapped between these countries without any need for crosstraining, certification, or logistical changes.

-Woog
Lead Manufacturing Mechanic
BCA Renton,WA
Hi Woog,
Would not doubt anything you say whatsoever. The original plan was not to p*ss around and order the standard P-8A so as not to waste time and money.

However, the RAF is already making plans to see future weapon options and will test these themselves at Boscombe Down if they are found to be needed and approved.

The thing is that history shows that the Nimrod didn't need AAR - until it did. If the RAF finds that at some point it needs AAR it will install it as they go through major. History shows it will probably involve Boeing to design a refuelling area addon but the one thing that will not happen is that a boom tanker will be used. The RAF is dead against it and always has been.
In short one of two things will happen. Either it will be decided that no AAR is required or that it is and a probe will be fitted. What is certain is that it won't be discussed until a few years operational service are completed.
Steve
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Firebird wrote:The Indian Navy aircraft have been initially allocated to INAS 312-A squadron alongside the Tu-95s of INAS 312.
I believe that the plan is for the sqn to operate 8x P-8s and 8x Tu-95s until the additional 4 aircraft arrive then the Tu-95s will be retired.
The nickname for 312 is the Albatross so I am thinking its not difficult to imagine what they may get as a callsign.
No worries, will add "Albatross"........................provided it's not copyrighted by Monty Python!! :D
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

From the horses mouth ie through VP International.
Callsigns for today VP-30-VVLL, VX-20-Score, VX-1-Pioneer and confirmation 11Sqn RAAF - Shepherd
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Thanks Jim
Stew

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:
The thing is that history shows that the Nimrod didn't need AAR - until it did. If the RAF finds that at some point it needs AAR it will install it as they go through major. History shows it will probably involve Boeing to design a refuelling area addon but the one thing that will not happen is that a probe tanker will be used. The RAF is dead against it and always has been.
In short one of two things will happen. Either it will be decided that no AAR is required or that it is and a probe will be fitted. What is certain is that it won't be discussed until a few years operational service are completed.
The Vulcan, Victor, Lightning and many more RAF aircraft were ordered without AAR probes, all had to be retro-fitted when in service.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

jimrodger wrote:From the horses mouth ie through VP International.
Callsigns for today VP-30-VVLL, VX-20-Score, VX-1-Pioneer and confirmation 11Sqn RAAF - Shepherd
VP-30 uses the VVLL at home and abroad, whereas the other VP sqns use their Trident,Tiger etc at home and their respective VV callsigns abroad. (Although this is not a hard and fast rule and there are axceptions at times)

The VV part of the callsign is changed to "Navy" so as Stewart has posted they would be Navy LL/LF etc.

Hope this helps

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Here is RAAF Edinburgh so far, using photoscenery supplied by Landsat that MAIW have permission to use. There is large ground force presence, the sheds on the left are Army maintenance and supplies. On the right are personnel quarters The P-3s are parked on the left of the apron, P-8s are on the right. Also ARDU is based there too.

John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by SeanG »

VulcanDriver wrote:Here is RAAF Edinburgh so far, using photoscenery supplied by Landsat that MAIW have permission to use. There is large ground force presence, the sheds on the left are Army maintenance and supplies. On the right are personnel quarters The P-3s are parked on the left of the apron, P-8s are on the right. Also ARDU is based there too.
Wow! That looks great. Looking forward to getting some ARDU stuff on the ramp too ;-)

SeanG
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Part One of the callsigns (P-8) are done and in my FTP folder.

Inside the rar file you'll find both FS9 and FSX versions. The callsign Pioneer is not included as yet. Been trying for days to get that one to sound right, but still not happy with it.

Wedgetails will be done over the next few days. Can someone confirm whether we'll be using the designator E-7A for these beasts?
Stew

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

When I was looking through some articles in prep for what was coming up I found that the Aussie ones were known as the E-7A Wedgetail, the Turkish ones were given a designation of E-7T but the Korean ones I could only find E-7A and not E-7K.
So I presume that the Korean ones are the same as the Aussie ones and the Turkish ones have some different equipment.

What it did seem to indicate to me that although not the most advertised - E-7 seems to be used. Whether Turkey or Korea uses Wedgetail I could not confirm.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks very much Stewart for the P-8 call signs. That's a very comprehensive addition to the packages.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

For parking, you can find all ICAO code for each type of aircraft

http://www.airkalo.com/ORLYAVIATION/code.html
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Most useful. Thanks
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

First flight of a P-8 over YPED

John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Current progress is as follows I think:

Poseidons (P-8As):

I've just finished changing out the bulk of the P-3Bs at Jacksonville for P-8As - 10 of the former remaining and 28 of the latter added.

Kadena Japan (USN) is all done (Brent)

Edinburgh (RAAF) looks quite advanced (John B)

Raijali (Indian Air Force) - (John T). I'm not sure where we are with this, could an update be posted please?

Pax River (USN) - (Hartwig). I'm not sure where we are with this, could an update be posted please?

Call signs are done (Stewart)

Wedgetails:

Konya (Turkish Air Force) - I have the near completed scenery from Gary. Very good it is too.

Williamstown (RAAF) - I think that's in hand with John B, but could he update the situation please?

Gimhae (ROK) - I think Mins is making an AFCAD/flight plan - could he update the situation please?

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Just adding eye candy at Edinburgh and trying my hand at getting the one way apron taxi system sorted.

With williamstown I've amended the current AFCAD for the Wedgies so it's a straight replacement for these with RAAF Hornet package.
John