Helicopter animation effect

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
mins
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Helicopter animation effect

Post by mins »

Hello.

I made a Model of the AH1S Model with 3DMAX.

And I try to bring the animation to FSDS.

The animation should then be inserted into the rotor.

But I don't know. :smt022

There's(FSDS) a lot of airplane propeller animation effect.

No one can find the helicopter animation effect.

Main rotor, rear rotor ...

I ask you a favor. :smt023
Attachments
1.jpg
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Helicopter animation effect

Post by VulcanDriver »

On the Merlin I used XML coding and the default prop animation. The biggest problem you will have is the hover taxi which is why no one at MAIW has done a skid copter. Also unless you have used key frames and some XML it won't take off like a copter. If you look at the Merlin it takes off hovers then noses down to start forward flight.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Forgive me for butting in, I know nothing about what you want to do but John said above no one has done a skid copter, I may be off the mark here but when I use a skid as an AI I raise the skids slightly off the ground, in (most) cases it doesn't look too bad.

Col.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Han Min the helicopter 'effect' is a combination of model animation and XML trickery. There is not a default FSDS setting for that.

If you search the forums, the technique is discussed in several different threads. It requires quite a bit of planning ahead with the model or you end up doing a lot of work to make the effect work correctly.

But...... It can be done!

As the guys have mentioned, skidded helicopters are a bit more of a problem because in the AI system, they still have to 'taxi' to the runway.

That's a nice looking model BTW!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Mins, sorry, a few questions so I can try and understand what you are trying to do:

- Is this to be a flyable helicopter or an AI one?

- Is it for FS9 or FSX?

- If it's to be an AI helicopter, are you intending to have a vertical lift, animated in the model and triggered by XML, or are you going to have a STOL FDE, eg by using a Stemme-based .air file to simulate a helicopter?

- Are you importing the 3DMax model via MCX to FSDS to compile? Is there not an easier way?

- Are you familiar with using xml triggers in AI aircraft?

We have the code that I developed with Kevin for an AI skidden helicopter, It worked fine for me in my test, but no one has used it to completion for real yet as far as I know.

The rotor animation is the same as for a fixed wing aircraft - just "prop0..." etc, unless you want something fancy like folding blades and tie downs.

John
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

Thank you. John.

I want to make a fs9 AI helicopter.

It is very difficult because it is the first time.ㅜ ㅜ
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Mins,

The question in your first post seems to concern the rotor rotation itself. I am trying to build my first helicopter, too (Alouette III), and it was a long time before I learned that you have to treat the rotors as propellers, and that all propeller rotations (at least for FS9) are around the Z axis, so your have to rotate that axis for the main and tail rotors, and the Z axis therefore points upwards (in the usual Y axis) for the main rotor, and sideways (in the usual X axis) for the tail rotor. I hope that helps.

Now I still need to learn more about xml for lift and tilt, of which I know almost nothing..

Jon G
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

Thank you, Jon.

I understood exactly the intent of the question.

I wondered how the rotor would turn out.

Let me study.