NBAI F/A-18E

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

NBAI F/A-18E

Post by geoffj »

Hi,

Are there any repaints of VFA-192 "NE" F/A-18E based at Lemoore out there please?

All I can see are the C models in the Atsugi package; they left there in 2009 but it doesn't look as if the unit was included in any of Aaron's many updates. There is a Traffic file for VFA-192 in the Matrix Asia folder but it contains reference to VFA-195 aircraft out of Iwakuni! The NA Matrix Lemoore Traffic files for CVW-9 and CVW-2 to which VFA-192 was assigned do not contain VFA-192 but the Lemoore CVW-14 file includes VFA-115 which replaced VFA-192 at Atsugi in 2009!

All slightly confusing, or have I just missed something?

Many thanks,

Geoff
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: NBAI F/A-18E

Post by Victory103 »

Not tracking any repaints as of yet, I am using the Lemoore -192 flightplans with unmarked NBAI F-18Es (several other squadrons were never updated as the legacy C models moved to pasture). Some I tried to copy the original C model textures over to the E/F models, with limited success. Search for the "Iwakuni 2018" which will give you the updated repaints and FPs for all CVW-5 squadrons (as they moved from Atsugi). This accurately depicts an all Super Hornet/Growler air wing. If you track USN serials/BuNo like I used to, you will find some -115 jets still at Lemoore.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by geoffj »

Chris,

Thanks for the reply, yes juggling Es is my placeholder solution too. I think I have Iwakuni sorted, just takes a while to get things reasonably up to date having been away from the sim for a while - only about 150 new airline FPs for Su23 left to update in addition to checking the mil plans and scenery (currently reviewing Finland but still a long way to go)!
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

geoffj wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 08:23 Chris,

Thanks for the reply, yes juggling Es is my placeholder solution too. I think I have Iwakuni sorted, just takes a while to get things reasonably up to date having been away from the sim for a while - only about 150 new airline FPs for Su23 left to update in addition to checking the mil plans and scenery (currently reviewing Finland but still a long way to go)!
It's a famous project to update these military FP's. Great Job.

For the Su23 airlines I use the FP from https://www.aitraffic.ch/index.php.

Do you think you can share your military updated FP's ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

geoffj, if not already using I do recommend AIG AIM One Click Installer program for airline/civ traffic. I'm using it for both P3Dv5 and MSFS to keep everything updated. If you want a modern Iwakuni, there are also updates to add the JYAI F-35s (VMFA-242 F-18Ds are now gone).

On the MAIW side, I do the same going country by country in P3D. So much to keep track of and things get lost. Just recently discovered that while I had the NBAI Canadian Hornets installed, I somehow failed to move the traffic bgl over from FSX!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by geoffj »

Chris,

Still on FSX so OCI not an option unfortunately. Yes, I have the F-35s installed, JY's and MAIW's packages and member's addons and updates make it relatively easy to make a start but as you say there is a lot to keep track of and I am still finding installed FPs not linked to the aircraft I have installed - old age doesn't help and sometimes real life has to take priority!

I am looking to buy a new PC so I can run P3D and MSFS. What spec do you have and what sort of frame rates do you get with a heavy AI load running?

Foufure

I will not be able to post the FPs as the majority of each is still based on MAIW packages and other people's work, but as I slowly work through them I can PM completed ones to you for personal use. However, it will be a slow, ongoing process and if I finally buy a new PC it will become a lower priority for me until I have the sims setup properly. I am also experimenting with repainting so that I can fill some of the gaps in the Orbats, and adjusting airfiield parking as I go along so don't hold your breath!

Geoff
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

I just did VFA-192 repaints. The NE tail code is not as sharp as I would prefer, but I did the whole squadron in a hurry the other day.
I used the paintkit available here on MAIW, but was a little challenging because I couldn't get the markings in the paintkit to become vector so I had to try using a suitable font to paint VFA-192 and all the side numbers and serial numbers.
Attachments
VFA-192_CAG.png
VFA-192_FA-18E.png
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

This upload contains textures and aircraft.cfg sections for VFA-192 F/A-18E Super Hornets. Tested only in P3Dv4.5
Attachments
MAIW_NBAI_FA18 Super Hornet_VFA-192_Repaints.zip
(3.18 MiB) Downloaded 108 times
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks for taking those on, I just had the paintkit open looking at how to do the new "Vandy 1", all black VX-31 F-18F.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Hi There! It's been a long time since I've posted any work. If you see the F-35Cs in the picture those are VFA-97. I actually finished those right before starting VFA-192. I'll try to get them uploaded soon.
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Slow progress on VFA-151 Vigilantes.
Attachments
Early VFA-151 CO.PNG
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

-151 did have a nice toned down dark gray look, but I see they went back to color on the CAG jet now. I'm thinking about moving back to Gimp over Paint.net as I also have an issue getting the "vector" you mentioned on the nose numbers (modex) for both sides. I can only get the italics on one side.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

I might need to add some orange to the yellow areas. It's hard to tell with lighting on most photo's I found on the web.

My original plan was to do the tail design that was more of a triangle with gray strips through it. But when I viewed the most recent dated photos it appears that this design was implemented around 2020 or 2021.

I wanted to get this CAG bird out of the way first because I knew it would take the most work and hand drawing. Hopefully, next Saturday I can finish up the rest of the squadron.
Attachments
VFA-151 CO_Side view.png
VFA-151 CAG.png
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

This looks very good!

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Major

Post by flyerkg »

gsnde wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 06:06 This looks very good!

Send from mobile hence short
Thanks! VFA-151 is finished just need to upload.

I also started on VFA-25 "Fist of the Fleet" assigned to NAS Lemoore.
Attachments
VFA-151_402 Cruise.png
VFA-151 CAG Climbing.png
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Quick snapshot of my first VFA-25
Attachments
VFA-25 Line.png
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

More updates coming for VFA-151 and VFA-25
Attachments
VFA-25 CAG.png
VFA-151 CAG.png
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks again, when I pull these up in paint.net, the alpha channel comes up 1st and pixelates the texture?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Hi Chris,
Are you seeing the pixelated textures in the sim or just when opening individual textures? I'm trying to gauge where you might be experiencing problems and I can try to correct before uploading more files.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Just in paint.net, in sim is fine. It may be a setting I have switched on or something.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris