Sud Aviation/Aérospatiale Alouette II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Sud Aviation/Aérospatiale Alouette II

Post by John Young »

After a break over the summer, I decided to open Gmax again and do some modelling. I picked the Alouette II that was suggested by Martin a while ago. Perhaps Manfred may also like to see the helicopter as an occasional visitor to some of his retro German bases.

The model is an Alouette II SE3130, for FSX and P3D. I’m contemplating the 12 examples of HFS2 of the German Army at Fritzlar, circa 1993. I had already made some scenery of the airfield as part of my Eurocopter Tiger package, although the two helicopter types are not contemporary.

This is the model I’m testing and I have only the LODs yet to make. I was just trying some screen shots in an alpine setting:

I can certainly consider other paints, but I’m not sure if I want to venture into other variations because the engines can be quite different and complicated. I have no plans to tackle the Alouette III, which is a completely different helicopter.

Something that has puzzled me since I started the research, is the large diameter trunking that runs from the engine exhaust nozzle through to the cockpit on the SE3130. You can see it clearly in the photo:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8897032

The termination in the cockpit seems to be a flat plate so I’m not sure any gases flow through, not that would be a good idea into the cockpit in any case. On other variants the trunking terminates before the cockpit. Anyone know what the trunking is for and why, on the SE3130, it terminates in the cockpit please?

While people ponder that one, I’ll get on and make the LODs and do the rest of the Fritzlar paints.

John
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Sud Aviation/Aérospatiale Alouette II

Post by jimrodger »

Absolutely beautiful...

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Wow !!

Great surprise.

Belgian Army use a lot of them too (in Belgium of course (at EBBT and after at EBLG) and also during Cold War in Belgian Base in West Germany.

Belgian Gendarmerie use some of them too.

Thanks for this model John.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 14:48 After a break over the summer, I decided to open Gmax again and do some modelling. I picked the Alouette II that was suggested by Martin a while ago. Perhaps Manfred may also like to see the helicopter as an occasional visitor to some of his retro German bases.

Something that has puzzled me since I started the research, is the large diameter trunking that runs from the engine exhaust nozzle through to the cockpit on the SE3130. You can see it clearly in the photo:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8897032

The termination in the cockpit seems to be a flat plate so I’m not sure any gases flow through, not that would be a good idea into the cockpit in any case. On other variants the trunking terminates before the cockpit. Anyone know what the trunking is for and why, on the SE3130, it terminates in the cockpit please?
Hi John. What a lovely little model!

My guess is that the trunking is a Heath-Robinson cockpit heating arrangement. It appears to use exhaust gases via a fan/heat exchanger unit, so that it pumps heated ambient air to the cockpit. However that's just a guess, so I may be completely wrong!

Ah, a quick Google got me there. It is indeed a heating duct. From this article from Pilot magazine:
Around the jetpipe there’s a heater sleeve connected to the cabin by a seriously big piping system that goes up hill and down dale before connecting to internal overhead distributors. A helicopter with so much Perspex would need an efficient heater for demisting on damp days, but the weight must be significant?couldn’t they find another way?
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thought my AI hangar is complete....Failed!
The Alouette II did so many exercises around our village those days, combined with the Harriers in the field.
What a nice surprise and another fantastic model. Thank you!
Regards, Manfred.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

This is a most beautiful model, John. As Tom rightly said: a lovely one. I am really happy and grateful that you have decided to make it.

And it sounds like the paint kit could be put to good use with so many operators.

A great addition to the AI fleet you made for us all.

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Manschy wrote:Thought my AI hangar is complete....Failed!
The Alouette II did so many exercises around our village those days, combined with the Harriers in the field.
What a nice surprise and another fantastic model. Thank you!
My hope is that you will be wrong more often in this regard, Manfred :-)

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Tim, thanks for the article you posted, it was a good read. A heat exchanger makes sense now - I couldn't contemplate raw exhaust gases being pumped into the cockpit!

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Belgian Army used some models :

39 x SE313B (Artouste) A1 > A39 ( https://www.belgian-wings.be/aerospatia ... -ii-part-1 )
17 x SE3180 (Astazou) A40 > A56 ( https://www.belgian-wings.be/aerospatia ... -ii-part-2 )
24 x SE318C (Astazou) A57 > A81 ( https://www.belgian-wings.be/aerospatia ... -ii-part-3 )

Belgian Gendarmerie (Police) used 6 models

6 X SA3180 A90 > A95 ( https://www.belgian-wings.be/aerospatia ... -ii-police )
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm going to stick with the SE3130 I think, otherwise I will have to re-design the texture sheet for the different engine on the SE3180 and make and map all the new parts.

I'll perhaps include specimen Belgian, French and Swiss SE3130 examples to supplement the 12 German Fritzlar ones. A paint kit, I hope, will encourage others to paint more.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 12:13 I'm going to stick with the SE3130 I think, otherwise I will have to re-design the texture sheet for the different engine on the SE3180 and make and map all the new parts.

I'll perhaps include specimen Belgian, French and Swiss SE3130 examples to supplement the 12 German Fritzlar ones. A paint kit, I hope, will encourage others to paint more.

John
I will be happy with only one model. It's not important if some Belgian are not with the right engine. So some Belgian Army (green) and some Belgian Gendarmerie (White) will be very good.

The green is the same as your A109 for Belgian Army.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I thought you were using FS9, not FSX/P3D?

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 14:15 I thought you were using FS9, not FSX/P3D?

John

Yes, but a new PC is on ordering... so I will install FSX. Perhaps with ModelConverterX New function I can convert the FSX model to FS9 ;-)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think I've worked out what I want to do with this quite complex subject. My intention, I think, is to flight plan 12 of the regular German Army Alouettes plus the anniversary scheme and a visiting Swiss example, at Frizlar airfield in Germany. These are the new paints:

The Belgian and French paints are just too extensive to contemplate, so it's probably better to leave those would-be users with a paint kit to create what they want. It's not difficult, just changing the aircraft numbers really. These are the starter paints:

Next job is to make the LODs and then modify my modern scenery of Fritzlar to create a retro version (deleting the Tiger hangars and taxiways) and setting up the Alouettes on the old ramps.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Yummie yummie.... :smt038
Regards, Manfred.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

They look brilliant, John!!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

stop it!!! :)
look what i have got in my head now

Alouette, gentille alouette,
Alouette, je te plumerai.
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Funny you should say that Gary. I've had the same ear worm for the past 2 weeks!

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Great, now me too!

And because of so many variants, A CIRCULAR CANON !!!!!
Regards, Manfred.
Robbiest
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Robbiest »

Thanks John for bringing another great heli to FS can't wait to download it...is the rocket version also an option :D

Loved your Gazelle hopefully you'll make other versions... :D

Of this Aero there was a Dutch with wheels...
Again thanks John sharing your work....