RAF Gütersloh P3D restarted

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: RAF Gütersloh P3D restarted

Post by TimC340 »

Randy, I should make it clear that it was my Dad that was stationed there - I was living there, but I wasn't in the RAF at the time, though some of that time I spent working in MTSS on base.

The new terminal was built in 1975, and was opened I think in early 1976. Previously, the terminal was in the prefab building to the west of the tower (the VIP lounge was at the bottom of the tower in the semi-circular bit). There was a lot of building on base at the time - the new NAAFI club opened in 1976 too, finally sealing the end of the WW2-era bar in the old place (and the loss of the wonderful murals on the Pigs' Bar walls).

The Lightnings did operate from the HASs during exercises, but not during normal operations. As far as I remember, there were no facilities to accommodate the daily activities of the squadrons on the HAS sites, so no crewrooms, offices, etc. I think that's why they said they didn't like it! In any case, all the station bars (apart from the golf club) were on the domestic site side of the airfield... I think there were 26 bars on base!

The photos are of the station open day in 1975 - it was bloody hot! The front cover of the station magazine (Zeitung 47) was of a Metropolitan Police sergeant who was flown over for the event to add to the 'all things British' theme. He was quite a character!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Found the cover I mentioned: Image
raclim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by raclim »

Thank you for clarifying Tim! Knowing the Brits, them saying "they didn't liked it" probably has indeed something to do with most of the bars being on the other side of the base :smt005

Seeing pictures from airshows in the 70's and 80's always makes me a bitt jealous, the variety of aircraft types and color schemes were so much better back then. Being born in 1992, and visiting my first airshow in 2008 at Leeuwarden, it is mostly all grey F-16's, C-130's and Eurofighters. Guess you can add the all grey F-35's to that mix know.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The high point of airshows was probably the 1990s. Most of the interesting stuff was still in service, the Cold War was over and militaries were desperate to show off so that some funding might still come their way! The public had unprecedented access to military bases, and the whole airshow scene really took off (sorry!). The '70s and '80s airshows were constrained by the need to remain vigilant, and militaries hadn't yet learned how to stage a show to best effect.

Again, I'm biased - I was very much involved in the airshow business in the 1990s!
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

I decided to use MCX for my seasonal groundpolys and it works fine finally. Some few adjustments with the layers, but then the groundpolys should be fine.
Vegetation is in the making as well. Fall pics will follow soon...

Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Currently many corrections of the asphalt and concrete aprons and reworking textures for bump maps.
So at moment much work and less pics....
Regards, Manfred.
raclim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by raclim »

Thank you for the update Manfred, keep up the good work :smt023
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Incredible - thanks for keeping us posed on this amazing project!
Quaere verum - Seek truth
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

To all of you who are still interested, here comes the upgrade of the scenery. Again behind schedule because life and job are currently very time consuming...

Now added seasons, animated windsocks and mobile tower lorries and first custom asphalt and concrete surfaces (shiny reflections and mirroring objects while raining...).
Still a kind of BETA testing, feedbacks much appreciated.

Here is the download link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApxPvGIZoKCrgxkWns6 ... t?e=YFkaBg

1. Please report if any issues with download and/or installation.
2. Please read the readme files carefully before installing.
3. Have fun.
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Manschy, please don't worry about how long it takes. We appreciate what you do, and are in awe of the results you achieve.
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

Greetings Manfred!
Just like your Bruggen scenery so much - very grateful. Just by chance found this thread and downloaded your beta.
Two issues:

Have autogen hangars that should not be there. Your add on scenery is at the top of my scenery list in P3Dv4.5. Looks like I need a flatten or exclude file, but others don't seem to have this problem.

Second, no winter textures. I am unsure what to do with your SODE xml files. Do I just add them to the folder where the default SODE add on xml sits or do I have to edit that xml and add your xml entries in notedpad?? Also SODE in the drop down menu says "no triggerable objects found within 6.5km."

UPDATE: I installed your files into the wrong SODE folder. Installed now in the correct one and trees appear and can trigger hangar doors. However, I have no snow in winter and still have the miserable autogen/default hangars blocking the taxiways.

Thanks
Lee (expat)

Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you very much for response, Lee. Otherwise I could not fix those issues.

Okay, we will sort this out shortly.

1. Responsible for winter ground textures are the .lua files which goes into your "Scripts" folder inside your main Prepar3D folder.
Please have a look if your files are on its correct place.
2. Those default buildings didn't appear on my rig so far. Currently, I did add a polygon with flatten and exclude default, but I will add also exclude rectangles which will prevent those odd objects.

V.92 will be uploaded shortly.

Thanks again for feedback.
Regards, Manfred.
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

Manschy,
Just to further report, I searched in Orbx and found no other ETUO files and disabled the default ETUO and the buildings are stubbornly still there. Have also unchecked and removed another freeware Gutersloh so it is still a mystery why I have this but others do not!
Regards,
expat
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Like I said, I will set several exclude rectangles which should disable the default hangars.
To terminate these phenomena, you can disable the folder "0601" inside the Prepar3D/scenery folder, for example into "0_OFF_601" which should disperse the default hangars but many other default airfields nearby as well unfortunately.
Just a stopgab until we try the exclude rectangles....
Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Hi,

okay, I attached some files to exchange the AFCAD files inside the scenery folder. Please have a look at the "Readme" file.
Please report back if using the files prevent the odd default hangars.
Attachments
ETUO_EXCLUDES.zip
(67.41 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Regards, Manfred.
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

Eureka!! The two exclude files worked perfectly. No more autogen buildings. Stunning scenery - again.
Thank you Manfred!
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

. . but no parking spaces so AI gone. But that's easy for me to add with ADE!
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Ah, okay. Using "exclude everything" seems to be a little too strong. Indeed it seems to prevent "everything" which means also AFCAD added stuff.
How does it work with only the "ETUO_WITH_EXCLUDES_ADEP4_ADE.bgl" files?

If this does not last, we have to spot each area where the default objects appear and then I will add very small "exclude everything" spots on it. This will help for sure.

You don't have to recreate any AFCAD parts....
Regards, Manfred.
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

So, I turned "OFF" ETUO_WITH_EXCLUDES_ADEP4_ADE_CVX.bgl but the parking still does not show up listed in the P3D UI and no AI, so problem remains I am afraid.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Okay.

So we will make it with small excludes.

I need a screenshot in "birdview" or "top down view" with the default hangar objects visable. Then I will place small exclude rectangles at those places.
You also can do it by your own, but it is necessary to include those small excludes inside my AFCAD to prevent the objects for other users as well if needed.

Please restore your latest AFCAD files from the ETUO version 0.91.....
Regards, Manfred.