Scenery and supporting AI for John's KC-390

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Scenery and supporting AI for John's KC-390

Post by John Young »

May preference Ray, would be a Brazil package from everyone who has contributed to it.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

OK- scrub that post! I hadn't seen John's reply.

I reckon I'm a week to 10 days from completing SBAN in both P3D and FSX - maybe a bit quicker if I have a breakthrough or two. I'd like to add a few details to some of the other Brazil AFCADS that I've given to John, but they aren't a deal-breaker. I need to contact Tranquil about the F-39s - I'll do that tomorrow. Jon's already uploaded the Caravans.

We have flightplans for the F-5s, which will just need transferring over to the JMAI aircraft. I'll have a look at writing plans for the Caravans. The P-3s and C-130s are also already covered. I have a test plan for the KC-390, but that's it. I'll discuss that (and the E/R-99s) with John directly.

Looks like it will be a rather nice package!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have the EMB-145 base model just about constructed in Gmax and if it wasn't for a couple of degenerate polygons in the flaps that took me 3 hours to find and solve, I would have had the aircraft appearing in the sim today. Nothing mapped at this point, but all the animation is working.

I guess I'm 2-3 weeks away from completing the C-99, E-99, and R-99 derivatives from that base model.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Those degenerate polys!

2-3 weeks should work well for me, John. That'll give me time to troubleshoot in both sims and add a few details to the other airfields. I've left a message for Mark on his Facebook page about the F-39s, which have not been released (though he did them 18 months or so ago).
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Jon,
Thanks for the FAB Caravans, but is there a C-208 model with cargo pod I'm missing? Both my HTAI models (normal/cp) have texture sheets that use a "aic208b_T" file name. I've looked over my AIGAIM HTAI models as well and can't find a Caravan I cp model.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I think the Caravan I P3D conversion is only available as part of the freware ORBX TrafficAuzNZ package. I can't seem to find it anywhere else !!
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

If this aircraft is needed and somebody would convert it, we can make a self-conversion pack like with the FMAI models.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

better now I can see them lol.

gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Great you do, even better you now know what has been made available in the meantime.

And I am still sitting on some great new packages to be released, but shhhhhhush...

First comes AIAE V. 4

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Victory103 wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 16:05 Jon,
Thanks for the FAB Caravans, but is there a C-208 model with cargo pod I'm missing? Both my HTAI models (normal/cp) have texture sheets that use a "aic208b_T" file name. I've looked over my AIGAIM HTAI models as well and can't find a Caravan I cp model.

There is an MAIW/HTAI C-208B with Cargo Pod for P3Dv4 in the Matrix Africa package.

Edit: ah, not the same as the Caravan 1 in the Orbx package...

Edit 2: looks like the entire HTAI payware Cessna Single Engine pack is in the freeware Orbx AI Traffic Australia and New Zealand package. Your paints work absolutely fine on that model when renamed to aic208.

Last edited by TimC340 on 12 Feb 2024, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

If we need a new Caravan model, I can do that, even if it's added as an update.

John
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

TimC340 wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 21:06
Victory103 wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 16:05 Jon,

There is an MAIW/HTAI C-208B with Cargo Pod for P3Dv4 in the Matrix Africa package.

Edit: ah, not the same as the Caravan 1 in the Orbx package...

Edit 2: looks like the entire HTAI payware Cessna Single Engine pack is in the freeware Orbx AI Traffic Australia and New Zealand package. Your paints work absolutely fine on that model when renamed to aic208.

A bit of history ...

The HTAI C-208B model was released as freeware by Henry. The C-208 model was part of his payware pack. Graham got Henry's approval to release P3D conversions of a lot of the models that were in the payware pack exclusively via the P3D version of Orbx Australia/New Zealand freeware traffic pack.

If FAB is using C-208s (not Bs) then the only way to get the P3D model is by pointing users to the Orbx pack (or John makes a new model)

Gavin
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

my vote lands with John :D
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'll do that. It sounds like the better option. It's an important aircraft for Anapolis, numbers-wise.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

While I’m eager to see another new model from John, the fact remains that Jon’s paints work perfectly well on the HTAI/Orbx C-208, which is freeware - and picking up that pack gives access to a lot of aircraft types which may otherwise be payware. I admit I don’t know if Orbx’s EULA attempts to prevent users from adding paints to those aircraft. I’d be surprised if it does, given that the paint kits are freely available.

For those who are unaware of the Orbx AI package, it’s here: https://orbxdirect.com/product/aitraffic-aunz
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

You need to register at OrbX and you must use OrbX Central to install the package. Then it goes where OrbX thinks it belongs.

Not sure if we want to put this setup onto one of our packages.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK Martin, fair enough. I know when to stop pushing at a closed door!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Don't get me wrong, Tim.

I own many products from the OrbX portfolio and would recommend them anytime.

What makes me wonder is if we can and want to deal with guiding users through the OrbX registration and download process.

But that is my personal view, the decision is with the package creators.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Sorry I'm rolling back into the discussion late; I've been promoted at work and we are short staffed and had an illness as well.

I've finished the serials on the C98A (Grand Caravan) fleet next step is to get the camo pattern done and they'll be ready.

My .02 cents would be we go with the HTAI Caravan 1 for the C98 fleet (7 with Brazil Air Force). I do not see the ROI of Mr Youngs modeling/paintkit time to create a Caravan 1 model when there is one already available, and the paints for the C98 were done on a 4K kit, David Frostin has upscaled.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-13 060245.png
Screenshot 2024-02-13 060156.png
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

gsnde wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 12:13 Don't get me wrong, Tim.

I own many products from the OrbX portfolio and would recommend them anytime.

What makes me wonder is if we can and want to deal with guiding users through the OrbX registration and download process.

But that is my personal view, the decision is with the package creators.

From mobile hence short
No problem, Martin! I entirely get what you’re saying. I’ll have a chat with John, but as far as I am concerned I’d be happy to let people know that the model is available freeware at Orbx and leave it at that. I would expect almost all MAIW users to be familiar with the process of applying paints, and those who aren’t can always come here and ask. Those who are put off by the Orbx connection or process would likely be a very small minority, I would guess.

However, if John were to take on the model that, of course, would be great! The Orbx/HTAI model works in all versions of P3D, but I think Graham converted it to P3Dv3 and so I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t include dynamic lighting, for example, and it has no interior. I’m not sure what other military applications it has, though.

For those who are happy to have the Orbx package, Jon’s paints look really nice. I’ll upload a screenshot or two ‘in theatre’ later on.