Essential flight simulator tools, by Martin Gossmann
http://www.owlsnest.eu
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: AI Aircraft Editor Version 4.2.1 released

Post by gsnde »

@Tim and everybody else who has seen the crashes on starting AIAE in the past versions and wants to help track the bug...

Attached version will fire many Messageboxes at you while going step for step into the SimObject folder analysis. To start this, please click the 'Refresh' button right beside the simObjects dropdown.

Please make a screenshot of every Messagebox. The information in it is adding up, so you only have to keep the last one and send that to me or attach it here.

Once I know where things break, I will prepare another version and will ask you for some files from your P3D configuration.
Attachments
AI-Aircraft Editor.zip
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Something I noticed a few minutes ago-in the FSX Wingspan section of the aircraft.cfg tab, only the wingspan (ft) box is populated for any aircraft I select. The converted m, div by two and spot size boxes are empty. The boxes on the new span line populate when you put a new figure in as you would expect.

I'm not overly concerned about the converted m and div by two boxes (indeed, other than showing how it is calculated are they actually needed for the end user?), but it would be handy for the spot size box to show the relevant figure on opening. I quite often consult it when sorting out airfield parking.
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by JohnTenn »

Martin

With reference to the "Show model in external viewer mode", the window is now useable to enlarge and reduce to smaller.
It is now useable for me.

The version of the model viewer does not show 1024 textures very well. Blurred at the seams. I much preferred the viewer in 3.40.

That is a me problem. I will use an older version of MCX for painting, to check the textures.

The functionality of this version is very good.

Thank you.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

AI Aircraft Editor Version 4.2.1 released

Post by gsnde »

tango234 wrote:Something I noticed a few minutes ago-in the FSX Wingspan section of the aircraft.cfg tab, only the wingspan (ft) box is populated for any aircraft I select. The converted m, div by two and spot size boxes are empty. The boxes on the new span line populate when you put a new figure in as you would expect.

I'm not overly concerned about the converted m and div by two boxes (indeed, other than showing how it is calculated are they actually needed for the end user?), but it would be handy for the spot size box to show the relevant figure on opening. I quite often consult it when sorting out airfield parking.
See my comment two topics above about the mission right-click menu… It seems I missed another method. Thanks for reporting, I will fix this asap.

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Great, thanks Martin.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by pslinger »

This app is a real gem. It has saved me many moments of frustration, preventing me from pulling my hair out. Thanks for developing this app and sharing it with the community, it is much appreciated.

Paul
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I have added the ability to capture & save screenshots from the model viewer. They consist only of model and background, the toolbat is excluded.
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Martin. I just allowed the update to 4.2.22.0 and we're back to the crash splash on start up and no aircraft being displayed when I've cleared the crash dialogue.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Well, I asked for feedback in the debugging phase and the participation was less than overwhelming, Tim. One single person worked with me. I will have a look tomorrow.

Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Sorry, Martin - the only problem I had with the previous version was exactly as you described (the crash on hitting 'refresh') which I reported upthread. I did notice the lack of wingspan field contents after Tango reported it, but otherwise it was working just fine for my relatively limited use case and there was simply nothing else to say!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

gsnde wrote:@Tim and everybody else who has seen the crashes on starting AIAE in the past versions and wants to help track the bug...

Attached version will fire many Messageboxes at you while going step for step into the SimObject folder analysis. To start this, please click the 'Refresh' button right beside the simObjects dropdown.

Please make a screenshot of every Messagebox. The information in it is adding up, so you only have to keep the last one and send that to me or attach it here.

Once I know where things break, I will prepare another version and will ask you for some files from your P3D configuration.
And exactly for this issue I asked for support above. The one person helping was one from AIG, by the way.

Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

:D :D Martin,

If you were looking for a "no problem seen so far" response, then here's one from me... for what it's worth! :D

Jorgen
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

That is good to hear, Jorgen.

But I really need somebody affected by the crash to support me with debugging. I have never encounter it. So without input it is a very blind chase for me.

Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I've obviously not understood something here, but it seems that in doing so I've inadvertently upset you, Martin. The symptoms I had with the previous version were exactly as you described; if I hit 'refresh' it would crash. I had no messages subsequent to that.

With the new version, released yesterday, it brings up the crash box on start up. I can cancel the crash box and the program is then stuck in a loading loop with the AIAE Loading graphic showing. If I now click on 'refresh', I get the expected 'Refreshing the P3D autodiscover paths...' message, but the program never completes loading and no aircraft are visible within it.

gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

No bad feelings, Tim.

My question is if you are willing to find out what is going on. If you say yes, I will prepare some special versions for you. You would run such a version and tell me what it last says before it crashes (the version will show you a lot of message boxes).

I would need you to take screen shots of every message box and send the last one before the crash to me.

This gives me an idea where the program is crashing. Depending on where this is we will continue to debug. Likely I would ask you to send me some add-on.xml files from your computer.

So do you want to do that with me? It would be a great help!
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Hi

Finally managed to do some checking on FS9.

I've attached Validation logs for both the old (V3.3.40) versus the new (V4.2.25).

The old version is as you would expect for aircraft folders with multiple models/textures for finding used and not used.
It seems to not find models that are "nested" with multiple model variants in the top model level.

The new version seems to find no textures although it gives the correct number of textures in the aircraft folder.
It reports that an Air file is used but not found, but the correct air file is definitely in the folder.
Attachments
aiae-aircraftcheck_V4_2_25.txt
(30.51 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Maybe this way will work to send both files.

Jim
Attachments
Error logs.zip
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

gsnde wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 15:35 No bad feelings, Tim.

My question is if you are willing to find out what is going on. If you say yes, I will prepare some special versions for you. You would run such a version and tell me what it last says before it crashes (the version will show you a lot of message boxes).

I would need you to take screen shots of every message box and send the last one before the crash to me.

This gives me an idea where the program is crashing. Depending on where this is we will continue to debug. Likely I would ask you to send me some add-on.xml files from your computer.

So do you want to do that with me? It would be a great help!
Yes, no problem Martin. I should be on the computer for much of this coming week, so I should have plenty of opportunities to give feedback.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

jimrodger wrote:Maybe this way will work to send both files.

Jim
Jim, is that only a reporting issue or are these textures also not shown in the viewer?

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

TimC340 wrote: Yes, no problem Martin. I should be on the computer for much of this coming week, so I should have plenty of opportunities to give feedback.
Thank you, Tim. I will prepare the test version for you.

Cheers,
Martin