exciting news!!!

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
tornado3367
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: exciting news!!!

Post by tornado3367 »

Tranquil wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:01 Maybe pitch your ideas to a software developer?
is there a software developer you recommend mark? i hope i dont sound rude!
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Try here a lot of software developers visit this forum https://stackoverflow.com/ its probably one of the biggest communities for developers..
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The question is, assuming you can find someone or, I suspect, many, developers, who can tackle all the elements of a sophisticated flight simulator, as as already been said. What's in it for them? How will you produce a freeware offering, when these guys will probably need paying? Then you will undoubtedly run into costs for things like imagery, sound and potentially other licences. Does the Unreal engine cater for all these elements, including UI and AI engines. If it doesn't, what language will these components be written in? You need to know that before asking for developers and not get caught out mid-project.

As you will be competing against the large resources of Microsoft, LM and other mainstream developers, what is it that you intend to produce that will surpass what they sell? We don't even know what you are up against in the development period you have in mind (several years?), given that MS2024, for example, has yet to be fully scoped. How are you with project management because I suspect it will need a lot of it?

Think about the nature of what goes on at MAIW. Users here like to build global air forces. They are often reluctant to change sim versions for fear of losing what they have collected over time. Conversions become important.

Who is your target audience? Have you really thought this through and produced a business plan to satisfy them?

How will you support whatever you produce - possibly for 5 to 10 years after the development period, particularly if you are going to charge for the project? How will you ensure that you have the expertise to provide this support over this time?

You are asking for help, but you are not answering the questions that have been raised - what's your budget, is pretty key. Even if you go the freeware route, you will still encounter distribution costs through a web site presumably?

Better to be clear about all this, before you start approaching developers.

John