Jayhawk Farewell.........

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Bone184

Jayhawk Farewell.........

Post by Bone184 »

This drill weekend was a different type of drill for the members of the 184th ARW located at McConnell AFB. The last KC-135R departed for Forbes Field in "Flying Jayhawk" style.
Friday there were fond memories of the units past as a B-1B; that was actuaully operated by the 184th BW; from Dyess & a QF-4E from Tyndall arrived in style. The B-1B did a few passes, but the star of the arrivals had to be the Phantom, which made two passes before landing at taxing to several ANG members that had worked on the D model of the phantoms when they were stationed at the 184th.
Saturday, (2) F-16's from the Texas ANG's San Antonio based fighter wing arrived. There was a big Wing get together at 1300, where there was members of the 184th past,present & future sharing memories of the "good ol' days".
Sunday marked the ending of one chapter & the beginning of another in the 184th's history. At 1100 the last KC-135R to be operated by the 184th ARW; tail #10277; departed to the North from runway 1R and made a hard turn to the West, returning to a pass & turn to the East. The tanker made (2) more passes with the last being a "high speed pass" with boom down, as the KC-135R got to the North end of the Runway you could see the boom come up & a wave from the tanker to bid farewell to the 184th. The Tanker then climbed to altitude & circled McConnell heading to the south for the last operational sortie of the 184th ARW history; before being delivered to Kansas' other ANG Wing in Topeka; I kept watching as I saw the tanker make a turn to the South hoping that it would return for 1 last pass but then it disappeared in the clouds to the South. About an hour after the last 184th Tanker departed there was a old friend of the 184th seen in the pattern. A KC-135R from Topeka was doing touch & go's, several 184th members came out to watch it just to say hello to an old friend.
Monday will see the B-1B & QF-4E departing back to their home bases. I know there will be several 184th members present to watch, I know I'll be there!
The members of the 184th will be moving into new mission positions for the next several months into next year to stand-up a blend of many Operations. Operations will include Intel,Regional Bomb Dump,Phoenix Ravens just to name a few.
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Great Story! Kansas has a rich aviation history-including a lot of crew training and bombing ranges dating back to WW2.
GZR_SACTARGETS