State of AI 2007

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

What I'm about to say is not criticism of anybody, what they have done for the FS community is fantastic. However, it would be really nice if, when they make the decision to finally and fully retire, they would make the most generous gesture of donating their code to others who could continue their great work.

Now, before anybody goes off on one, I'm fully aware of intellectual property, and what is theirs is theirs to do with whatever they wish. Yes, I agree totally.

But, it would be really nice.

Or, letting the world know that they've retired. Again, I'm fully aware that people have things going on in their lives and it's up to them what they do.

But, again, it would be nice.

No criticism implied. More of a plea really.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Calvin Gwin »

Well they are MIA for now, I knew Elvis is out of it for a while, IDK about Fernando.
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

CelticWarrior I fully agree that it would be nice if those whom have created wonderful models and then decide to withdraw from the AI/FS scene would release their model files for others to build upon. I think that they would be able to do so with the provision that they always be given credit for their original work, as Jordon Moore has done with his helicopter models. I haven't seen any instance of anyone claiming sole authorship on a re-work of one of his models, as of yet, and don't really expect to see it happen. It is a shame to loose already done, high quality work, forcing a restart from scratch - time wasted that could have been used to build even more models. I would love to see fully AI models of all significant WWII and WWI aircraft created, which could be stationed at real world airports where important collections/museums are located, generally for the same reason as the real world examples are kept flying! But, if current models have to be built over and over, as model makers retire, there will never be time enough to keep up with the possibilities/demands for more and more new AI models. As you say, it would be very nice of them.

Ron
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

MAIW has done us a great service by driving military AI to a all time interest. By making these packages available, a lot of people have military AI in there Flight Sim traffic. Hopefully this will spark more AFCAD design, dedicated AI models and flight plans to become available.

I made a statement some times back that you might have to use a flyable models if you want that type of aircraft in your Flight Sim setup. I been using them since 2002 with some success by reducing textures etc. Its not the idea solution but you have to look at the work of Dave O'Brien and Mike MacIntyre (Search on AVSIM) to see what was possible using what little they had to go on. They are what got me started on the military side of Flight Sim. I still use a lot of their packages in my setup.

I know that it will be impossible to have a AI dedicated aircraft for every type of military aircraft in the world. I make do with what I can find available or until a AI model IS available.

Now that FSX is out, and that there is a lot of work being done on new scenery, aircraft effects, missions, landable moving aircraft carriers, etc. that you might never see all the AI in FS9 that you wished for. Developers will want to use the latest available to show off their talent.

A new weapons effect package was just released with American and British weapons that will drop, fire and explode. Did someone mentioned a combat flight sim out of FSX????
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Calvin Gwin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Calvin Gwin »

It wouldnt suprise me if perhaps the next FS would be a full combination of Combat and Civilian, especially when FSX is already halfway there. (I bet somebody could easily make B-17 style missions using the same tech as in the flour drop mission)
Aren't you a little fat to be a Stormtrooper?
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

BTW, did you notice that we have surpassed 1000 registered members before the new year begins? Hope number 1000 gets a nice surprise package!

Ron