Brits at Creech AFB-UAVs

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Brits at Creech AFB-UAVs

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

British Invasion: The UK Royal Air Force activated its first unmanned aerial vehicle unit, No. 39 Squadron, on Jan. 23 at Creech AFB, Nev. Air Marshal Iain McNicholl, RAF's deputy commander in chief of operations, presided over the ceremony. RAF personnel have been at Creech since 2004 as part of the Joint Predator Task Force. From there, they have taken part, alongside their US Air Force counterparts, in operating MQ-1 Predator and, more recently, MQ-9 Reaper UAVs. No. 39 Squadron, which also includes British Army and Navy personnel, will operate the RAF's MQ-9 Reapers and remain involved with Predator operations. The RAF currently has three MQ-9s in its inventory, one of which is already flying in Afghanistan in support of ISAF. The remaining two will deploy there in 2008, according to the RAF. The UK is interested in acquiring 10 more Reapers; the Pentagon announced the potential foreign military sale on Jan. 3. (Includes USAF report by 2nd Lt. Jennifer Richard)

I wonder if the birds have roundel markings??

From AF Daily Report 25 Jan 08
GZR_SACTARGETS
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Marv

Yes they do wear RAF markings and carry RAF serial numbers plus squadron markings. Currently they operate out of the RAF base at Kandahar.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Sounds like a project! I don't have anything at Kandahar now. Wonder if WeeScotty can do a repaint of a couple of the Beale AI? :twisted:
GZR_SACTARGETS
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

GZR_Sactargets wrote:Sounds like a project! I don't have anything at Kandahar now. Wonder if WeeScotty can do a repaint of a couple of the Beale AI? :twisted:
A repaint of the RQ-4?
--Chris
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

SMOC wrote:
GZR_Sactargets wrote:Sounds like a project! I don't have anything at Kandahar now. Wonder if WeeScotty can do a repaint of a couple of the Beale AI? :twisted:
A repaint of the RQ-4?
Predators would be better, but we don't have an AI for them that I know of. Also need to find some source material for the paints. I will see if I can find any plans and paint. :twisted: Gonna need them for the Arizona Guard also.
GZR_SACTARGETS
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Well for the Predator you're going to need paints for Creech, ND ANG(This will eventually be an AD/ANG associate unit at GFAFB I believe), AZ ANG, TX ANG, and CA ANG.

I don't know of any AI Predators but the available Predator(1 LOD) only has roughly 3000 polys so it isn't bad on the system.
--Chris