Eagles vs Super Hornets-interesting exercise

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Eagles vs Super Hornets-interesting exercise

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

Bring It On: Navy F/A-18s will battle Air Force F-15s in mock combat in the skies over Hawaii starting tomorrow and running through Feb. 20. The Honolulu Star-Bulletinreports that eight Super Hornets from Air Test and Evaluation Squadron Nine at Naval Air Weapons Station in China Lake, Calif., have flown into Hawaii to engage Eagles from the Hawaii Air National Guard's 199th Fighter Squadron over the next three weeks. "We will be flying one-to-one dogfights," Lt. Aaron Vernallis, the Navy squadron's operations test director, said in the Jan. 27 newspaper report. "We also will be flying exercises where there will be four of our jets against six of theirs." The aerial exercises will take place in the airspace of Barking Sands Pacific Missile Range Facility north of Kauai, with two sessions per day, according to the newspaper. The 199th FS still has seven of its 20 F-15s grounded due to the structural issues that have affected the entire Eagle fleet, the newspaper reported. The unit will transition from the F-15 to the F-22 starting in late 2010.

From AF Daily Report- 28 Jan 08
GZR_SACTARGETS
NoNameVet
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by NoNameVet »

Eagles > Hornets

Go Air Force! :)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Uhh.......F-15A model vs. F/A-18E model..........

Me thinks it's not going to be a fair contest. 1970's technology (with some upgrades) vs. year 2000 (with upgrades) technology.

Although I hope the boys from China Lake are bringing their studs, cause I don't think they get too much dissimilar A to A combat training. The Hawaii ANG boys on the other hand...........

I know my brother will be rooting for his fellow China Lake teamates, he's been a research scientist there since about 1999.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

My money is on the F-15A over the multirole F/A-18x. But should it go the other way, schedule a rematch in about 3 years.
--Chris
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

I am a bit surprized they are doing it. Although it is common in Red Flag I guess. I doubt we will hear much about the results. Also exercises tend to have an objective that sometimes adds limits to what is allowed for tactics, environment, etc.
GZR_SACTARGETS