Need help rotating a scenery

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
KMTC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Need help rotating a scenery

Post by KMTC »

My brother and I were working on a small non-mil airport scenery a few months back. It was just about done when we stopped working on it and we have since lost the original GMAX files for it. So my question is, is it possible to rotate the scenery objects using just the BGL files, because that is all that I have. :(
Matt
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Matt, good news, the answer is yes. I believe can place individual bgl files with "ObPlacer" by Arno Gerretsen. I believe that you can also place them with EZ Scenery.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/fsdevdownloads.php

Look in there for ObPlacer and ObPlacer XML from Arno Gerretsen.

So yes you are saved, just depends on which program you want to use.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
KMTC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by KMTC »

Thanks, that is really good to hear. And since I already have Rwy12, could I just convert the BGL file to an XML and use it in that?
If I could do that it would kill two birds w/ one stone.... I downloaded John Stinstrom's GSSE object library from avsim but there is only a BGL and no XML file. So how would I go about using them in Rwy12, if that is possible?

thanks again
Matt
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Matt,

The BGL contains the model or models in compiled form. You use XML code to address such a model via GUID and place it in the scenery by providing the longitude, latitude, altitude and heading. But you can not convert the BGL to XML.

Cheers,
Martin
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Matt you will need a program called BGLAnalyze9 which is here:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... DLID=50121

Set it up in its own folder then to make it work, simply drag the BGL file you want to break down into an XML file, on top of the bglanalyze9.exe file and release the mouse button. It will then decompile the BGL file into an XML file revealing the current lat/lons, heading, alt etc of the object(s) in the BGL file.

To get it back to a BGL file after you've altered the heading, you will need to use BGLCOMP which is part of the scenery developers SDK available for FS2004 from MS.

If you still can't get it to work, let us know, we'll get it figured out.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
KMTC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by KMTC »

I have my little scenery project back on track, thanks. :D However I couldn't get the object library that I downloaded to open in Rwy12. I used a few converters but it never gets it in a completely readible format for some reason, although it is very close. I think it has something to do with it being multiple objects??? It's a nice object library so I would love to get it working if I can. :?
Matt