Resentment at Cyber Command patch

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Resentment at Cyber Command patch

Post by SMOC »

The Air Force, in all their wisdom, have allowed the the newly created Cyber Command(AFCYBER) to bogart the the old SAC patch as their own.

Patch Comparison

Those who have served in SAC are apparently(and would seem rightly) up in arms about why the SAC patch is being recycled.

By Michael Hoffman - Staff writer

Cyber Command’s new emblem can’t be anointed officially until the new command is stood up this October, but the one in the works replicates the former Strategic Air Command’s patch.

Only “minor modifications” have been made to the SAC emblem to create AFCYBER’s design and “bring it up to current Air Force emblem standards,” according to USAF documents.

“By assuming the lineage of the Strategic Air Command, cyber-warriors demonstrate the ability to project strength and achieve global effects with the inclusion of the cyberspace domain, with air and space,” according to lineage and heritage records.

But that striking similarity to Strategic Air Command’s patch has started a controversy. Former airmen who served under SAC have posted on multiple Internet blogs their displeasure at the almost identical designs.

“I respect the fact that our ‘cyber warriors’ are a critical asset in our force structure, but in my opinion they should wear a patch of their own design, not one lifted from a previous generation,” said retired Col. Ron Thurlow via e-mail.
--Chris
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

I don't like the idea either. As a SAC trained killer, that command emblem was a key morale factor. It expressed a lot of the idea of strength maintaining peace. I once designed a new patch for the 322nd Bomb Wind and was directed to use the old one (A flying Uncle Sam carrying a bomb). If I had done my homework I could have saved a lot of effort-but that was a direct line to predecessor units. This is a totally new command and should create an emblem of its own to reflect their own beginnings and hopefully a long heritage to be built by them distinctively.
GZR_SACTARGETS
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

I agree... there is no reason to pilfer patches from other commands/wing/squadrons. It shouldn't be hard to have someone create a new shield. Similar to how the SAC shield was created why not just hold a command wide contest to create a new history instead of fabricating one from SAC?

I grew up around SAC, with BUFFs and tankers leaving trails of black in the sky... with switchblades and Cobra Balls. That shield means a lot to those that experienced living in that time frame.
--Chris
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

That's so bad! It looks like some kid just used PhotoShop to replace some colours. As a Brit who grew up during the 1960s the SAC badge was a symbol to me of the West determination to confront the Soviets. It was on par with the RAF Bomber Command badge. Boy was I p'd off when the British Gov't merged Bomber Command and Fighter Command and were lost forever. Those two names were synonymous with Britain's fight against Nazism. Politicians just don't give a damn!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy