COMING VERY SOON!!!!

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

If I did that I'd be out of work wouldnt I. hehe...

No seriously I would love to tell you all my secrets but it would take forever. I guess the main components are:

Get FSDS and throw yourself into it. It isnt hard to learn. Its taken me around 2 years to get to the standard Im at now, but I picked up the basics quickly enough.

Make sure you do research. I make a folder for each model and fill it with as many reference photos from the web as I can, from every concievable angle. As well as 3 views and dimensions data.

Perseverance - If it doesnt look right at first, try a different approach or look at it another way. It will come together eventually.

Give it a go you'll be suprised at what you can achieve.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
andras1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andras1 »

Nick,

I just checked the video and I find it excellent. there is just one question - and please do not get me wrong, I am an absolut fan of your work.

The frames of the canopy and the air inlets have a lot of edges. Does it - from a framerate point of view really make such a big difference if you made them rounder?

As i said - just a question

Andras
Thud
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Thud »

Wow........stunning!

Does the Harrier also perform a short take off roll and landing?

Cheers!

Arjan
"He saluted us with something fighter pilots understand, a buzz job by the boss"
Jack Broughton - Going Downtown
Felixthreeone
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Felixthreeone »

....Nick is of course the ultimate authority...However, based on what the video shows it does not appear to be a STOL variant....somewhat longish on the rollout. And since the behavior of the aircraft is governed by the FDE, don't be surprised to see a 'carrier' based model down the road. MAIW has a way of balancing these things out, and I think they will continue to surprise us. Keep up the good work, guys. I think I'm speaking for the masses here when I say that we all appreciate the time and effort.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Guys

Remember MAIW models are TRUE LOW POLY/ MULTI LOD, and designed that way. The models are not 20,000 Poly models made into an AI version..All the modelers work from the core concepts from day 1

1) Produce only high-quality, freeware packages and products
2) Create military AI traffic accurately within the bounds of MS Flightsim
3) Promote new freeware military AI models, scenery and products
4) Advance military AI modeling of countries around the globe
5) Respect the rights of designers and contributors

As for FDE, we have Magic Mike helping us remember !

Barry
Barry
Barry
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Does it - from a framerate point of view really make such a big difference if you made them rounder?
It does make a difference :wink: . Remember these are AI models and will be viewed mostly from "AI distances" where it will be hardly noticable. Also, the modeler has to keep in mind how many types may be in view at one time on your screen. Its not much fun to be on approach to an airfield and your game turns into a slideshow :lol: .

EDIT: Barry, you beat me to it again :D
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

lol :D

Sorry next time I will wait for you to go first :lol: :lol:

Barry
Barry
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

Suppose there will be a paintkit of this fine masterpiece in due time ?
Would be cool to create a TLP pack containing Italian AV-8's amongst others !!

Arjan "Thud" and I have been looking into this for some time now, one trial pack has been made by Arjan and looks pretty neat with a nice mix of aircraft on one field with different sorties
Ruud
--
andras1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andras1 »

"It does make a difference . Remember these are AI models and will be viewed mostly from "AI distances" where it will be hardly noticable. Also, the modeler has to keep in mind how many types may be in view at one time on your screen. Its not much fun to be on approach to an airfield and your game turns into a slideshow."

Now do not get me wrong, I think it´s a great model and I´ll love using it. I am aware that ai modelling is a trade off between details and performance. The thing I wanted to ask Nick is what in his opinion is the effect really would be (estimated in percentage or something like this) if he added these polys in LOD 1 not changing the other ones of course. Also following the discussion they had on the LOD distribution when the 757-200 of alpha india came out where they basically said that it s not (only) the total polycount that matters but rather the way the LODs are distributed.

Andras
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

The big thing you guys have to remember with AI fighters is that we all want lots of different weapons loadouts to spice things up a bit. Those weapons that hang on the pylons take up lots of precious polygons that otherwise wouldn't be needed. So a balance has to be struck between getting the look you want versus getting the polygon count to a figure that will allow the models to not slow your performance down too much.

To quote master Yoda, "A trade off, there always is".

-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Superbuggz wrote:Suppose there will be a paintkit of this fine masterpiece in due time ?

Arjan "Thud" and I have been looking into this for some time now, one trial pack has been made by Arjan and looks pretty neat with a nice mix of aircraft on one field with different sorties
Worry ye not guys. Keep your eyes peeled here for packages covering all current Harrier II users. Believe me when I started this project...I intended to see it through. LOL

Besides using the GR7/9 in Italian colours would be blasphemy. LOL

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
Superbuggz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Superbuggz »

nickblack423 wrote:
Superbuggz wrote:Suppose there will be a paintkit of this fine masterpiece in due time ?

Worry ye not guys. Keep your eyes peeled here for packages covering all current Harrier II users. Believe me when I started this project...I intended to see it through. LOL

Besides using the GR7/9 in Italian colours would be blasphemy. LOL

Nick

Well yeah, but still, as an AI Aircraft, a GR9 might easily be mistaken for an AV-8...., but I will (at least for now) not be able to beat you Nick, great stuff !!
Ruud
--